modern grenade launchers

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's one: how would the M203 grenade launcher be portrayed in ASL? Give me your ideas? I say, 1 PP range of 4, FP equivalent to 40 mm

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Delete PP as it's an inherent Wpn within a sqd (actually two of them per sqd). For point tgts range seems good, Area target double point target range or perhaps 7 hexes. Should perhaps add smoke & treat the smoke capability somewhat like a smoke grenade out to max range. Note: The primary function of the M203 or the M79 grenade launcher for that matter-thus more smoke rounds usually issued to users, was to deliver smoke not HE (made a darn good shotgun with double-aught-buck round though). In Viet Nam M79 gunners used CS & buckshot rounds extensively!

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would make it simpler. Similar to MOL. usage of dr 4 or less, +1 DRM for HS, if successful, add 4fp to normal range fire, or place smoke, (Maybe smoke grenades?) Within normal range.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note: The primary function of the M203 or the M79 grenade launcher for that matter-thus more smoke rounds usually issued to users, was to deliver smoke not HE
Hmmm...
That's not what we were told when I went through ITS in the late '70's. We were told that the primary purpose of the '203 (besides generally increasing the firepower available to the squad/fire team) was to cover the area between the typical max range of a thrown hand grenade and the minimum range of the company's 60mm mortars. Maybe we were trained differently on the '203 in the Corps.
Full disclaimer: I never used this weapon in combat, so I cannot testify to the ratio of HE to smoke rounds carried. I certainly enjoyed using this weapon at the range, and I was impressed with its accuracy.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes but they found the 40mm "launcher" grenade was less than ideal for the tasks it was initially intended for (at least from the relatively slow firing M203) and that in actual combat it was relied upon more often to provide obscuration (HC or WP) or discomfort (CS or WP). It was still used to cover dead space and to engage point targets and I'm fairly certain that is still taught, however at least in the US Army its "primary most used" function had changed somewhat. It also had a "paint" type round for marking targets while general use drifted towards the use by team leaders and less so with the actual grenadiers. Now the MK-19 that was a horse of a different color.
Yeah, carried that bugger for many years & loved it when I got to use it.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes but they found the 40mm "launcher" grenade was less than ideal for the tasks it was initially intended for (at least from the relatively slow firing M203) and that in actual combat it was relied upon more often to provide obscuration (HC or WP) or discomfort (CS or WP). It was still used to cover dead space and to engage point targets and I'm fairly certain that is still taught, however at least in the US Army its "primary most used" function had changed somewhat. It also had a "paint" type round for marking targets while general use drifted towards the use by team leaders and less so with the actual grenadiers. Now the MK-19 that was a horse of a different color.
Yeah, carried that bugger for many years & loved it when I got to use it.
Are you talking about this?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you talking about this?
Dat da baby! When we were engaged by an RPG gunner in Iraq (missed us by a mile) two victors (vehicles) mounting MK-19s returned fire upon his position. Ruined his whole day!o_O🆒

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MK19 is amazing but you need the elephant lube