Modern Classic Scenarios.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Modern classic scenarios! We all know the old classic scenarios like Hill 621, Guards Counterattack, Sowchos 79 etc. But how about the new breed? Which modern scenarios deserve the status of classic? CGs included.
I have noticed that some modern scenarios get a lot of play and are quite balanced. Generalissimo's Own and Crickets In Spring are two that spring to mind.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
How modern is modern?
I think 10 years might a reasonable cut off point.

The problem is of course, the variety and volume of products nowadays. Individual scenarios are played less. The chance of a gem passing you by is much higher.

Also classic to me indicates significant replay value. You wouldn't mind replaying multiple times either side.

Exclude campaigns - not enough people play them.

Shenam pass, Heuishan Docks, at first thought- bearing in mind I play a lot less than I used to, and PTO or campaigns are my main interest. There are a couple of small ones that I really like - skiing in Lapland, por l'onore di Roma but I don't think they have the replay value to be classics...

Interested to see what people's picks are...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hueishan Docks is a definite modern classic. What about Flying Turrets?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I have thought of a few others. Shouting Into The Storm, Clash At Ponyri (ITR-BFP), Tough As Nails (ITR-BFP), Destroy All Monsters.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hueishan Docks is a definite modern classic. What about Flying Turrets?
It's one of those scenarios that everyone should play once for the experience. But too dicey for me to be a classic- and not one I'm in a rush to replay. Did enjoy it though.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
It's one of those scenarios that everyone should play once for the experience. But too dicey for me to be a classic- and not one I'm in a rush to replay. Did enjoy it though.
Never heard it called dicey before. What makes you call it that?

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve,
Have Mook Point set up as last scenario in my annual Market Garden solo bash.

Some MMP modern classics I like :

ABtF1 The Prize--both sides attack+defend ; always exciting and goes down to the wire.
AP71 Head In The Noose--US defend against a hard hitting mobile SS force. Usually comes down to control of last 1 or 2 buildings.
BoF12 Forging Spetsnaz--another one where both sides attack+defend, and usually goes down to last CC.
WO30 As Luck Would Have It--British have to know when to hold em and when to pull back, as German panzers seek to flank paras. British AT Gun placement is crucial.

Need to put together a list of third party publisher classics (which Forging Spetznaz was originally.)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think every scenario from FrF and DTF are classics and ones I would reply again and again.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't enjoy playing a scenario more than once as each side, so I can't offer one. Tournaments require me to occasionally play something again; I never go "oh boy, I get to play that again".

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I gotta disagree here, I think some scenarios are very replayable, the scenarios from Red Barricades I can play over and over again, the scenarios from FrF are very replayable as well as the scenarios from DTF (Bliztkrieg and Death to Facisim being my favs) FrF has at least four or five scenarios from each pack that are very enjoyable and I can replay those over and over again. From the AP's, there are a few scenarios that are very good and also deserve to be replayed again (Pete Shelling stuff is always a must play [EXC: KWASL].

Scott

I don't enjoy playing a scenario more than once as each side, so I can't offer one. Tournaments require me to occasionally play something again; I never go "oh boy, I get to play that again".

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Like others here I seldom get to replay a scenario but there are certainly some that deserve to be replayed for various reasons. Of course ones with variable OB options can wildly influence the outcome dependent upon the selections but I have found only a very few that I would call classics though I may have rated a playing as quite high. However there are some straight forward scenarios that I do consider classics or at least must play IMHO.
  • BFP-68 SHENAM PASS, a bit big and longish but certainly a must play.
  • LC's LSSAH 23 "HIS MEN", again a bit big & longish but an oft overlooked gem.
  • LFT-196 SPITTLEMARKT, a short tournament sized hard hitting contest. Tons of fun.
  • AP 62 SHOUTING INTO THE STORM, I believe this is a true newer classic for sure.
  • SP202 FIREY FINALE, another shorter tournament sized scenario but never seems to fail to deliver.
  • DB083 BLOCK TO BATAAN, another tournament sized scenario that doesn't seem to get a lot of love, but should.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I don't often 'get it right' first time playing a scenario, so I'm usually more than happy to play something again as the same side, and probably even as the opposing side. The most I have played a single scenario is 4 times to date (and there are 4 of them so far), but that's spread over quite a few years.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not mind replaying a scenario if it is balanced or just plain fun. I will try to do better come up with a new way to achieve victory, play the other side, and/or try to do better than last time if I really stunk it up. Some just beg you to give it a another go,