Moderator admits bullying "is a time honored tradition" on Hate ^h^h^h^h GameSquad

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re: Moderator admits bullying "is a time honored tradition" on Hate ^h^h^h^h GameSqua

How hard is it to read these posts? You just scroll past them.
Or are you sgesting we remove the rightto post on a topic if that post is not on topic? Let's enforce you First Amendment rights by removing your first amendment rights! Mind you, I don't have any Amendment Rights, First or otherwise...

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Re: Moderator admits bullying "is a time honored tradition" on Hate ^h^h^h^h GameSqua

How hard is it to read these posts? You just scroll past them.
Or are you sgesting we remove the rightto post on a topic if that post is not on topic? Let's enforce you First Amendment rights by removing your first amendment rights! Mind you, I don't have any Amendment Rights, First or otherwise...
Or, as he suggested in another thread, he could just ignore the people who he finds to be bothering him. About what you expect from MD. -- jim

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

One of the definitive elements of bullying is the deliberate effort to prevent the victim from expressing his first amendment rights to free speech. That includes making it difficult for those who might desire to hear that speech.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?122769-How-to-abuse-the-IGNORE-function-to-bully-people

"Spamming posts that have gone to seed is a time honored tradition around here
Last edited by Jazz"
"Well Hotlips, resign your damn commission"

They the exact same right to voice their opinions and observations that you do.....although you seem incapable of grasping that.

<shrug>

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia

you can engage in discourse, you can ignore speech. But attempting to gag speech by shouting it down is not what civilized people do.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

you can engage in discourse, you can ignore speech. But attempting to gag speech by shouting it down is not what civilized people do.
Nobody is forcing you to stay.

Do feel free to go someplace else that is more "civilized" where you won't feel shouted down.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Many of your posts are noise, designed to drown out discourse. -- jim

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia

So its OK for me to spam threads I don't like by posting NSFW T&A images? Its ok for people to do it to me, so fair play, right?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

So its OK for me to spam threads I don't like by posting NSFW T&A images? Its ok for people to do it to me, so fair play, right?
As moderator I attempt to balance the rights of expression of individuals and the sensibilities of the community. If multiple people are spamming your threads, that is more than a hint of how the community accepts you.

You can post what you want where you want, but if it goes too far, I will eventually tire of hearing everybody bitch about it and will ban the person or people being bitched about. Make no mistake, you are outnumbered in that arena.

I try to be fair, but I make no promises, and you only sleep in the bed you make. If your presence here becomes disruptive, I will drop you like a bad habit no matter how fair you or anybody else thinks it is.

If you are not happy with the moderation, I would encourage you to take it up with the management (a member of which I am not). You would not be the first, and I would just love to be relieved of moderation duties here.

I would also note that what you characterize as T&A actually conforms to what would be acceptable to the puritanical standards of US television.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland

The First Amendment frees us from prosecution by the government for the things we say. It does not free us from the wider range of consequences that can result from our speech.

For example, stand up at a staff meeting and call your boss an idiot or worse. Now see where the First Amendment gets you when you're fired..

Yes you can sue over the incident, but the First Amendment won't play much of a role in your suit. You'll be contending over whether your boss harmed you, and whether he/she was justified under current law, and possibly the extent of that damage.

There is no First Amendment issue in connection with one's utterances on a forum like this one. The owner may establish whatever rules he likes here. Once again, you can sue, but the First Amendment won't be involved. Have you been harmed? Doubtful.

IMHO this forum's rules are pretty loose. I like that, even though from time to time I fall victim to a hostile member. You do your best and move on. I was once banned from a guitar forum for sneering at some nublet's musical knowledge, which led him to ask a stupid question. Was I unkind? Guilty. Should I have been thrown off that forum? Well, I don't think so. But it's not my forum.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia

Nothing to do with 1st Amendment rights.

GS is about games, and it is populated by a lot of kids. When they see that middle aged men are being allowed to engage in the bullying behavior which they are being told not to engage in by their schools, what lesson are they learning? That its OK for their fathers to do it?

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland

GS is about games, and it is populated by a lot of kids. When they see that middle aged men are being allowed to engage in the bullying behavior which they are being told not to engage in by their schools, what lesson are they learning? That its OK for their fathers to do it?
Would that all bullying were as trivial as that seen here on this forum.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia

Trivial in what way precisely? This is a thing of principle. You think it's trivial because there are no consequences for cyber bullying? Defend your assertion.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I do agree, this forum is very loose with the posting rules, if Pierce had posted on EN world an RPG forum, he would get permafrost banned. Thread crapping, trolling and thread spamming on EN world is not tolerated at all. Heck, all of us would be banned over there lol.

Pierce has other options, I'm sure consime world would love him over there and he can also join ASL facebook. So he does have options.

Scott

The First Amendment frees us from prosecution by the government for the things we say. It does not free us from the wider range of consequences that can result from our speech.

For example, stand up at a staff meeting and call your boss an idiot or worse. Now see where the First Amendment gets you when you're fired..

Yes you can sue over the incident, but the First Amendment won't play much of a role in your suit. You'll be contending over whether your boss harmed you, and whether he/she was justified under current law, and possibly the extent of that damage.

There is no First Amendment issue in connection with one's utterances on a forum like this one. The owner may establish whatever rules he likes here. Once again, you can sue, but the First Amendment won't be involved. Have you been harmed? Doubtful.

IMHO this forum's rules are pretty loose. I like that, even though from time to time I fall victim to a hostile member. You do your best and move on. I was once banned from a guitar forum for sneering at some nublet's musical knowledge, which led him to ask a stupid question. Was I unkind? Guilty. Should I have been thrown off that forum? Well, I don't think so. But it's not my forum.

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Trivial in what way precisely? This is a thing of principle. You think it's trivial because there are no consequences for cyber bullying? Defend your assertion.
another way to look at this problem would be to try to win over the forum with LOVE

if you could try to always say something nice and positive about the game and other members of the forum for say a week and see if that has a more positive effect

if it dosn't then you know you have been trying to be nice and it didn't work out