Moammar Gadhafi plays chess as NATO bombs fall

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess this is one way to pass the time:

Moammar Gadhafi plays chess as NATO bombs fall

MOSCOW - President of the World Chess Federation (FIDE) Kirsan Ilyumzhinov said Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi told him over a game of chess in Tripoli on Sunday he had no plans to stand down or leave his country.

As fighting between Gadhafi's forces and Libyan insurgents raged across western Libya, the Russian eccentric, who once claimed he hosted extraterrestrials, also sat down for a game of chess with Gadhafi's eldest son, Muhammad. The two played the Sicilian defence, Russia's Interfax news agency said.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Chess players ... (rolling eyes) ... it takes a crazy to know a crazy.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
With Libyan rebels making a big push over the weekend, tv news have replayed Gadhafi playing chess. I didnt notice this the first time, but have you seen his chess set? Gadhaf might have been a dictator for 42 years and stashed away a shed full of gold rolls royces amongst other things. But one thing that man didnt spend any money on was his chess set.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't! What is it, one of those cheap plastic sets? The man is probably just a chess wanna-be. He thinks it makes him look smart.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I dont want to dump on people who own and use cheap plastic chess sets. But Gadhafi should have had the resources to play with something a little more upmarket than .... what looked like a cheap plastic chess set. I need to find a picture of it ...

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hmmm. I might have to take back my "plastic chess set" remark.

I'm not sure what footage i saw. But here he is playing chess during the war ... with a fellow called Ilyumzhinov, whose name means nothing to me, but apparhently he's the FIDE president.

Great interview with Illy about the game etc.

I. Vorobieva: Who won?

K. Ilyumzhinov: Well, he’s of course weaker, much weaker than me, but overall it was interesting. His son, his elder son, Muhammed Gaddafi – he’s a serious player who knows chess theory. The leader, however, is simply an amateur who knows how the pieces move. Well, and he knows how to give fool’s mate.

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/ilyumzhinov-plays-chess-with-gaddafi/