MMP Updates 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to see the rulebook on its way. A revised version would have been nice and all, but who could justify taking the pleasure of sticky errata away from new players!?

Sorry to see that the Italians have fallen so far down the pipeline; I still had some vague hope for the next WO, but now 2022+ seems much more likely.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I was local (I live happily in California) I'd offer to help them with their IT and info management stuff, Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with the rules to help with the nuts and bolts fo the game.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to see the rulebook on its way. A revised version would have been nice and all, but who could justify taking the pleasure of sticky errata away from new players!?

Sorry to see that the Italians have fallen so far down the pipeline; I still had some vague hope for the next WO, but now 2022+ seems much more likely.
You will be OK when you get your vintage Sophia Loren and Gina Lolabridgida counters with the Italian pack!

:)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
No projected release dates = no real update. Where's the electronic ASLRB that's been vaporware since .....? no update on that? No third edition? No explanation? No discussion of the inability to keep constant stock on critical items such as, for example, the rulebook?
As someone who has done an eASLRB, let me tell you it is frightfully difficult to produce and maintain. The amount of time and effort that goes into it is WAY more than you can imagine and since I don't distribute it, I don't have to worry about protecting it through some sort of digital copyright protection. I have literally spent man-years in doing it. I know at one point, MMP had a developer for the project but that person has since left. Finding another willing to do the work at the rate MMP can afford is probably difficult. I don't work for MMP so I don't have any real information on a timeline, but those are facts. At this point, I suppose you could call this project stalled. I know they still want to do it.

Nope, nothing to see here in comparison to what could be a real, professional update. It's the best we'll get: yeah, sure, a statement of general order of effort. Wow! No, it ain't no ways great.
ASL has always been a labor of love. If you've ever had anything published, then you should realize that. How much do you think Cirillo made off of FB on an hourly rate? I can assure you it is in the pennies/hour range. Same goes for most any scenario designer. AND then, those people have to rely on volunteers to playtest and proof those products. Having volunteered myself in both capacities, this is tedious work. Try proofing a counter-sheet sometime. It isn't fun. It takes hours. No matter how professional MMP may or may not be, these volunteer activities will always be a gate which has to be passed through. It is nearly impossible for MMP to make a promise when so much rests on the shoulders of volunteers. These volunteers are well meaning and most are very dedicated (Hi Klas), but they have lives and things that come up and slow things down.

Hey, MMP can run their business any way they want to. It's a privately held company not answerable to share holders. Clearly, they have some of fans who think they don't need to improve. That's what happens when demand is inelastic.
I think everyone would appreciate more clear information, but it has to come at a cost, either in real dollars passed to the consumer or opportunity cost on effort that could be spent elsewhere. As you allude, the fans won't care much (I count myself among them) and the detractors will never be satisfied. That's what happens when you don't understand the inner-workings of a small, niche company working a labor of love. JMO, YMMV. -- jim

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are being very free in informing people what they "don't understand."

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It always amazes me as a business owner watching people demand things and go on and on about how terrible companies are from the comfort of their basement. MMP's employees, I am guessing, have jobs elsewhere and what they do with MMP is addition to employment elsewhere. Almost every single developer of boardgame or computer games of small companies, which MMP is, that I know of does so.

I for one am grateful for whatever they can get out and I appreciate the hard work, especially by volunteers who get paid nothing or very little, to keep this game moving forward.

Because lets be honest, on each of our bookshelves is more ASL goodness than we will ever be able to play. Enjoy the ride instead of being obsessed about what you view as an endless list of things that could be done better.

Chad

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
You are being very free in informing people what they "don't understand."
I have been accused of worse by better, and better by worse. Also, I wasn't referring to "people". You left out the singular pronoun "you" limiting my assertion to the person quoted. -- jim

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been accused of worse by better, and better by worse. Also, I wasn't referring to "people". You left out the singular pronoun "you" limiting my assertion to the person quoted. -- jim
I tried to be less blunt in my remark but your response demonstrates no learning from it. You have absolutely no idea what that person's background or knowledge is, much less what he "understands." Yet you felt compelled to condescendingly and patronizingly lecture him on it.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I tried to be less blunt in my remark but your response demonstrates no learning from it. You have absolutely no idea what that person's background or knowledge is, much less what he "understands." Yet you felt compelled to condescendingly and patronizingly lecture him on it.
Are you so certain I don't know him personally? Could you be doing exactly the same thing you're accusing me of? <GASP!!!!>

You're correct that I do not know him but there is no way you knew that when you posted.

Having said that, I read each of his posts here on this topic and responded in what I feel was a constructive manner based on those specific posts. Perhaps I responded in kind. You disagree with the way I did it, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. We agree to disagree.

I want no fight with you. I am doing my level best to turn over a new leaf and be less confrontational. I cede the last word to you should you wish it. -- jim

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I thought Sparafucil3's post was a firm but pretty even-handed response to a trollish poster who seemed to harbor more resentment than knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.