MMP: going the way of the Dodo?

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I have now sold off most of my other WW2 games and used them to finance buying pretty much everything available, including the now hard-to-get Doomed Battalions (3e). I am excited to see Armies of Oblivion may indeed see a reprint in the next couple of years, and eagerly await Croix de Guerre (2e). I decided to go ASL over using a similar amount of money on Flames of War and 15mm WW2 figures (I already have some 28mm and a large collection of 28mm buildings). I miss Squad Leader and playing more traditional war games.
I have now sold off most of my other WW2 games and used them to finance buying pretty much everything available, including the now hard-to-get Doomed Battalions (3e). I am excited to see Armies of Oblivion may indeed see a reprint in the next couple of years, and eagerly await Croix de Guerre (2e). I decided to go ASL over using a similar amount of money on Flames of War and 15mm WW2 figures (I already have some 28mm and a large collection of 28mm buildings). I miss Squad Leader and playing more traditional war games.

If you will give me until the weekend (on a business trip now) and PM me your email address, I will generate you a listing of all the MMP and TPP (or a good portion) scenarios that can be played with only BV or Yanks. I have about 2500 scenarios in a spreadsheet that just needs to be sorted.

And, welcome to ASL.

Cheers,

Mark

dr dull

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
MMP is a small business and such companies are not omnipotent, excellent in some aspects(rules,testing,quality,) less in some (marketing, publicity) propably due to lack of time, interest, maybe someone with good mmpcontacts and capability can offer them to help out with some of this stuff( like stated above, a small info on a website now and then is not really that difficult) it would be very good for the hobby and new players are very welcome.

dr dull

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I hope not.

If MMP can spare the capacity, perhaps they can get stuff out quicker.

I'd much rather get more quality / get things quicker instead of reading news about it week after week.

Exactly, i hope these guys continue with their excellent work producing top(best) quality products, but maybe some other friend could help out on webpage clarifying how the available stuff works to newbies, (eg get Book and Valor and you can play for weeks, months, years? and then add other stuff as it comes out) does not take much time but woudl propably be much appreciated.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... but maybe some other friend could help out on webpage clarifying how the available stuff works to newbies, (eg get Book and Valor and you can play for weeks, months, years? and then add other stuff as it comes out) does not take much time but woudl propably be much appreciated.
If you mean the inter-dependency of modules and the like see here: scroll down about 1/2 way, you will see a nice graphic that shows prerequisites. Also in general the article could be helpful to super-newbies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Squad_Leader

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the forum, rwphillipsstl!

You recommend yourself with a very thoughtful and illuminating first post of your forum activity that shows the perspective of a newcomer to the game.

And you have valid points. Of course, all the information is out there somewhere - with which I don't mean that particular dates for any releases are known - but rather the possibility to find out, "how things work" in general. But as you stated, it requires the exhaustive internet search, which is not exactly making it easy to decide to become involved. The effort to find out what to look for and where to look for it is likely underestimated by those already involved. I still remember, when I found GS forum in 2010. My thought was: "Man, had I known this site before..." The same is true for some other resources with regard to ASL.

MMP could do some things without too much effort to explain - your not knowing the difference of 'temporarily out of stock' vs. 'currently of of print' is a good example. As someone who is new to the game, one would not suspect that it might be a looong wait for some things. And unless you found some forum or ASL FB group etc. no real way to find out that this usually means years rather than months. Some basic information in this regard on the MMP website or some links to the most poplular forums could be of good help.

von Marwitz
Unfortunately, explanations of things like "out of print" and "out of stock" really do not help much if the overall state of the website makes the company look like it is going under. Of course, if the explanation were to point out that the company is small and that they are doing the best they can but that it may be years before some of the core components are available that might help. They could also point out that there are other sources for some of the core components in the meantime.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do we have any SEO masters among the forumites? Maybe we could all work together to create a "beginners guide" that has all the info that shows up right at the top of google searches for ASL.

ETArndt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Have you looked at various places online for a distributor that still had Rising Sun? From your location it might not be interesting, but I just checked and the first European online shop I tried still has it, apparently; other places in the USA or Canada might also have it.
Hey Philippe D, which European shop(s) are you referring to? I’m in Europe for a bit and have been considering picking up Rising Sun, can’t bring myself to order from expensive resellers in the US just yet.

ETArndt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Funny to see Europe as "the neighborhoo" :) (I suppose there are online wargaming stores in most European countries - maybe not in Luxembourg, and even that I'm not so sure)

ETArndt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
There are some online stores in here in Switzerland, but I haven’t seen much ASL.