MMP: going the way of the Dodo?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
MMP should also think about selling a complete chapter H in a similar format.
Absolutely right. This would be a 'perfect thing' and I am convinced, that it would sell well, too.

Even being in the position of having pretty much all the kit, I am not entirely sure, if my Chapter H is completely up to date. I think I only have Doomed Battalions 1st Ed. and IIRC there were some corrections to its Chapter H section in 3rd Ed.

Furthermore, the 'complete' Chapter H pages almost fill one of my old ASLRB 1st Ed. rules binders. This is kind of unwieldy and some of the Chapter H pages have become worn over the years.

A 'Pocket Chapter H' bringing all information together would fix all these issues for grognards and newbies. It would indeed be the perfect companion to nationality counter sets produced by MMP.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
MMP is publishing quite a few games, not only ASL. For them it's clearly a labor of love, and I can imagine the profit margin to be small. I applaud their effort and continued motivation to publish games, and being an avid ASLer myself, am sincerely grateful. So I believe that the OP is not correct that energy and enthusiasm are missing, quite on the contrary.

However there's certainly also a grain of truth here, and I agree that marketing efforts could be much improved. While most ASLers that are in the hobby for a bit glean their info from well hidden FB comments and the like, so are generally well informed, people new to the hobby must find it very hard to find information about publishing schedules, current projects and so on. And yes, the website adds insult to injury. There's no other reason to have a News section which does not contain news than to make people wonder about the seriousness of your endeavour. It is very obvious that there is no marketing strategy in place, and despite everybody's best effort, the effect is negative. I posted on BGG a couple of days ago about Front Towards Enemy and later deleted that post because it felt too negative. But there's absolutely no information on BGG about this game, so why would people consider pre-ordering it? Isn't it disrespectful towards your designers if as a publisher you not drum up support for their efforts? I believe that an investment into a coherent and up to date marketing strategy would allow MMP to boost their sales significantly. As the OP mentioned, GMT is a good example. They managed to crowd source their marketing, aligning their designers via the Inside GMT blog, and post a monthly newsletter with a lot of info. All this drums up so much support for their games and helps sell them.

One should consider the sorely missing updated rulebook with incorporated errata. Taking an example from the RPG community, Goodman Games republishes their Dungeon Crawl Classic regularly via Kickstarter and rakes in $200k+:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing

It contains some corrections and gets a different color and print options, but it's basically the same thing. So people collect them! I'm pretty sure most ASLers would sell their own grandmother to get their hands on a deluxe leather bound rulebook in a large font (with incorporated errata), or would buy a "regular" one every year as long as it contains some updates. So call up that guy that makes great WW2 paintings, align your printing technology, convert the rules to something easily editable and viable for cross-media publishing and off you go. Then maybe you'll also find it in yourself to make a serious effort to update the ill-written rule sections, write some nice introductions for the chapters, explaining how rules are laid out, provide more examples of play and so on.

Consider the eASLRB, which we all use, but hasn't been monetized in about ten years. That's like at least a million bucks missing right there. I've been consulting on various electronic and physical publishing and printing projects for years and offered a hand here for free, but never even got an answer. So I guess it really is a problem of priorities. Again I can see how proper business planning is directly opposed to having fun creating the game. I'm not saying, that this is necessarily bad. It's only bad if you can't make a living of it but have to, and then have to get a second job, which leaves less time for my hobby! And of course it's bad for people who would really like to buy a module, but can't, because it's out of print.

The boardgame industry is booming and there's a lot of change. If you look closely, you'll notice that Publishers have migrated to a very different business model nowadays. Stores and Resellers like games that come in little chunks, like LCGs and CCGs, where they can pack a lot on one shelf, and get customers coming back regularly to get the new pack. ASL is perfectly suited for this. Instead of publishing a Journal with scenarios, put the scenarios only in Action Packs, add a counter sheet and sell a couple of thousand for fifty bucks. Instead of delaying the french module because the HASL is not ready, publish them separately. Retailers will love it, customers will love it, it's a win win. Instead of producing boxes, produce a storage system that you can sell as well, but as a different product. Key terms here are small, ongoing and on a regular basis.

I really feel that ASL is stuck, just look at the scenario cards. Do players really want a letter sized scenario card? We all love the historical background. So why not publish three or four engagements from the same battle, research the background and publish as a booklet, give the players two small cards with their OOBs that they can sleeve? Add a counter sheet. Sell for 50 bucks. Offer a download for $45 with a VASL map. Possibilities are endless, if you're just willing to think a little bit outside the box.

Of course all this requires you to have a well managed supply chain. If you need to print thousands of copies to make it viable, maybe you're not doing it right. Maybe you should fly to China and have some talks with suppliers over there. Maybe you need to buy your own printing press to make it work. I'm sure there's a solution. One solution, a very low hanging fruit, could be to actually make your webshop work so that people like me can place an order. It's broken today, and I have communicated this for years now: no response (you can't order if your shipping and billing addresses are in different countries). The weakest link will determine the strength of your chain. If you can't manage a webshop yourself, rent it. If you can't make pre-ordering work, use Kickstarter. If you can't produce counters, buy CH. Yeah, I said that.

And last but not least, I find it not very smart to have no pre-order in place for all the modules that have gone out of print and could be easily reprinted. It would just be a matter of telling your printer to print, and you would have the money on hand due to people signing up, and you wouldn't need a lot of storage space because you would just send out most of the run, and you wouldn't be under any pressure until the preorder number is reached - so at least from my perspective, it doesn't make sense.

So yes, if you add this up, despite all the great work being done, in my opinion, the Dodo question is not entirely unwarranted. Anyway, just my 2 cents, it's not my company and I actually couldn't care less if it weren't my hobby. I just have a point of view from over here.
While you sum up some valid points where things could be improved in the ways of marketing or revenue generation by MMP, I am quite content that not all of your suggestions are followed up by MMP.

I, for one, am not a friend of professionalizing everything at the cost of 'monetization'.

I find it rather fortunate, that many things in our ASL world are more 'labors of love' rather than products that have been goverened by best marketing practices, that are rather driven by devotion rather than profit. Luckily, the complexity of ASL makes our game somewhat resilient against 'monetization' as it simply does not pay off.

At another place I have mentioned, that personally, I am quite content that not too much (good) stuff is published at a given time. This allows one - although sometimes for quite a number of us the financial allowance per year is already met or exceeded with the current volume of publications by MMP and TPP - to basically remain up to date with good things. If there would be a continuous influx of many thousands of dollars via kickstarter or comparable fundrasing media, undoubtedly, the volume of publications would rise. More certainly exceeding the budget most of us can or want to allot to the hobby. This would also mean, that the ASL community would splinter up more than it does right now. Currently, many of us basically buy everything ASL by MMP, augmented by some or most of the publications by the most respected TPPs. Some of the latter also produce their own boards, that makes it in turn 'necessary' to maintain a 'full kit' to be able to play all of their stuff. With extra money and output generated by kickstarter etc. the kit of the community would diversify and there would be less 'common ground'. Surely, no catastrophe, but still a point to consider.

It is correct, that board-game industry appears to be booming. What is going on in Europe seems to slowly carry over to the US, too. Namely with regard to 'Euro games'. These exactly are, so I believe, the key element of the boom. In nature, they are different to ASL as you can learn and play the average Euro game in a single evening (while not mastering it so fast, of course). Extremely complex games such as ASL remain a niche. I am not sure if we can observe a boom within this nice.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
It is correct, that board-game industry appears to be booming. What is going on in Europe seems to slowly carry over to the US, too. Namely with regard to 'Euro games'. These exactly are, so I believe, the key element of the boom. In nature, they are different to ASL as you can learn and play the average Euro game in a single evening (while not mastering it so fast, of course). Extremely complex games such as ASL remain a nice. I am not sure if we can observe a boom within this nice.
I think wargames in general are booming as well. Take GMT's COIN series: more than 2000 pre-orders on Pendragon, and that's going to be quite a complex game. Also Compass Games is producing more than ever, I believe. Saipan and Guam on a new system by Starkweather, for example. Take Lock'n Load and there's others. More games than ever before! I wish I had time to play them all :)

swoyak

LATW
Reaction score
At the very least it would be nice to see the website updated. Even their production schedule on the news page covers January 2015 to October 2016. Maybe they've been busy with other priorities...I don't know...but it would be nice to see some updated on the website, especially for newer players looking for info.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the very least it would be nice to see the website updated. Even their production schedule on the news page covers January 2015 to October 2016. Maybe they've been busy with other priorities...I don't know...but it would be nice to see some updated on the website, especially for newer players looking for info.
You at right. I thought they were in financial trouble because of the state of their website when I came back to the game from a three decade absence. Indeed, they are not but that is the impression it gives. I do not think they understand how that looks to the general public.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this very forum there is a sticky topic called "MMP Updates"

In the first post Chas Argent states, " The purpose of this thread is to have a place for MMP folk to periodically post updates to ASL products in development and production. We will try to keep regular updates flowing as news becomes available."

The last post by an MMP representative was in March 2013!

I think, at this point, we simply have to accept that keeping things up to date is just not very important to them. Personally, I'd prefer if they picked one single location; their own website or BGG or here on Gamesquad or even on (shudder!) Facebook and kept that one place fairly current on updates and info.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In that case the best thing seems to be signing up for email updates at the MMP website. They sent out updates every quarter or so.

PS . just checked .. the last mail was July 17.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If you want asl marketing they should join forces with critical hit...
At the cost of losing quite a number of customers.
The "marketing" of CH is most often aimed to lure people into buying products twice under different names or badly designed products, at very high prices.
Anyway, such a joint venture will never happen, for the best of ASL.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Plus, from what I read here, there is no need for shady tactics to make some people buy multiple copies of some ASL products.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
uld
In that case the best thing seems to be signing up for email updates at the MMP website. They sent out updates every quarter or so.

PS . just checked .. the last mail was July 17.
Maybe somewhere on the web site they could put the latest email update? A link to it? The update is good reading.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All I am saying is they should keep their website current so new people and the general public will not think they are going belly up. This does not require much of a change.
You have a lot of really strong opinions about how people should run their business. If you don't like their business practices, speak with your wallet.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
uld

Maybe somewhere on the web site they could put the latest email update? A link to it? The update is good reading.
It seems obvious to me that for whatever reason, they do not have the band width to make those sorts of regular updates to a web page. I'm sure there are many here for whom it would be easy. MMP is not those people. <shrug> For whatever reason, time, skill set, etc.... they (MMP) evidently find it easier to send out regular email updates than it is to update a web page. Running a web site is not MMP's core competency. Developing and publishing games is.

You have a lot of really strong opinions about how people should run their business. If you don't like their business practices, speak with your wallet.
Indeed

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, I just wish they would take a bit more care with their website and indeed all I am saying is the truth. Shooting the messenger does no one any good nor does living in an echo chamber.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I thought SL and ASL went "belly up" for 30 years.

One day I looked .. and WOW - the SL & ASL community is "still there" and stronger than ever before. So I jumped right back - because where there are people, there's a community. (Where there's a community, there are modules to be sold.)

At no point did I sit alone for months in a dark basement, monitor the MMP website and thought .. hmm .. the website doesn't update .. they must be DEAD!

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, I just wish they would take a bit more care with their website and indeed all I am saying is the truth. Shooting the messenger does no one any good nor does living in an echo chamber.
That's YOUR opinion. Some of us couldn't care less. You come across as really whiny. You're certainly not carrying forward any message that I wish to have relayed. I mean it's the website, it's the modules out of print, it's the parts of the gaming system not being sold a la carte, it's the inability to get ahold of the rules chapter that you're missing because you don't want to pay the high prices of the long out of print game. Almost every one of your posts has a very common theme, participating in this gaming system is really causing you nothing but inconvenience. If I were you, I would seriously look at just stepping away and finding a system more compatible with your needs.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's YOUR opinion. Some of us couldn't care less. You come across as really whiny. You're certainly not carrying forward any message that I wish to have relayed. I mean it's the website, it's the modules out of print, it's the parts of the gaming system not being sold a la carte, it's the inability to get ahold of the rules chapter that you're missing because you don't want to pay the high prices of the long out of print game. Almost every one of your posts has a very common theme, participating in this gaming system is really causing you nothing but inconvenience. If I were you, I would seriously look at just stepping away and finding a system more compatible with your needs.
Nope

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, don't shoot the messenger.