MMP ASL Map Sale

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe CD and Lost Boy can get caught up with the old-style boards from this sale.

It will help them understand more about how the "lovely" colors continue to hold us close to a mapboard while we play....

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmmm nice way to finish off the week :)

Didn't expect to be scoring the last 4 boards to make a complete set this week.

I've not made a fuss over worrying about it (getting missing boards), but I finally decided it was time. And mounted is what I wanted, and mounted with luck is what I will in a short bit be getting (I never assume something is in my possession till it is, just makes sense to be happy AFTER it gets here).

The price was ok. 4 Boards and mostly shipping, but anything under 20 bucks is doable in my budgetary existence. It's when I start looking at items costing 100+ that I have to be apprehensive (100 dollar bills don't happen much in my house :) ).

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to say i'm shocked that a lot of this thread was grumbling about postage costs when buying something for a buck - but i'm not.

Now let me explain (not that this will appease the neighsayers, but what the heck...).

First off, way back when MMP charged for postage based on price. Man were we ROASTED for doing this. So we overhauled the whole system and charge by weight (the "correct" thing to do IMO). So first person who says "But it only cost a buck and I have to pay $6 for shipping" gets a big raspberry. You can't have it both ways, folks...

Our shopsite software has 1 postage unit as the lowest measure of weight. A magazine, a sheet of paper, anything up to 8 oz. If we put in 0, then the shipping is free. So we have no choice but to put 1 for anything up to 8 oz.

So, each map has a shipping "unit" of 1 to the system. Why? Because someone may wish to order 1, someone may wish to order 100. Order 10 maps, it's 10 units (which equates to 5 lbs). Order 60 maps and its 60 units (which equates to 30 lbs and breaks our system). 10 fraction of an ounce paper maps is still ten units in the system, just as 10 mounted mapboards - at probably four pounds - is still ten units in the system.

So, had anyone actually asked us instead of assuming that we're merely pulling an ebay and jacking up the postage to "make money" perhaps we would have thought/remembered to post that we're crediting back $ on the absurdly high overpayments for unmounted maps (much like we're billing extra for the guys ordering 100 maps - our system "stops" billing postage at 32 lbs IIRC). Sorry guys, we can't think of everything and this just slipped my mind. The office has orders to refund/charge so at +/- five bucks. I assume they're doing as requested.

To those who assume we're "making money on shipping" there are plenty of reasons why we're not. pre-A) like I said we're trying to even out under/overpayments at a reasonable rate of under/overpaying. A) we pay employees to pack and ship orders, we pay for the building for them to pack and ship orders in, and we pay a freaking buttload of $ to UPS and/or the USPS to actually ship the items. We used to call this a service charge, or "handling" (I forget which) but so many people complained that we just wrapped the buck and change for "handling" into the shipping cost. B) others ship for less! They sure do. A $70 game we would sell for $35. I see it all the time and I know how much people's product costs to produce, i've calculated more than a few games costs. :smile: HELLO, if you're getting a better shipping cost than it costs to ship the game then they have wrapped it into the price of the game! I can't believe this is a revelation to anyone, but it seemingly is. C) My stamp says $1.32 and I was billed $5. The people who live in Maryland get hosed, postage/shipping to them is always higher than necessary. The people who live in Oregon get a break, it's usually the other way around. Shipping for UPS/USPS would be idealized (is that a word?) if we lived and ran MMP in the center of the country. We don't, we're a coastal company. One day, I hope, we'll have a better system of getting more exact postage. Right now the tables we have/use "work" on average. Some guys get a little hosed, some guys get a little break, and some guys are just right.

The net result is if you don't like paying the shipping don't. It is what it is. We're not making money selling these boards, the mounted maps cost more than a buck each to produce. And they have been in our warehouse how long? They need to be gone, and they will be gone in just a few weeks.

And whomever asked (Portal? Maybe Aries, can't recall...) I'd wait for the SK version before buying the unmounted maps, personally. You have to laminate the paper maps, that costs more than the maps themselves now. :smile: And the printer we now use does a better trim job (less "tight") than the old printer.

Of course I have no problems with computer vs. painted art so that may alter your decision as well.

Don't wait too long, though, they'll be notepads a few weeks from now...

Last edited:

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't remember where I read this - might have been the ASLML - the clearing out of the old style mapboards is to make room for delivery of the new SK style mapboards.

I hope this means that the SK boards are nearly ready. Bring on the map bundle :laugh:
The SK boards are about 75% done, art wise. I'm prepping the next batch to go out to the proofers who did map proofing for us just recently.

They're on sale now because we have to clear space in the warehouse to put up shelving to hold the SK maps when they're ready. We're expecting in the neighborhood of 30 pallets of boxed maps once this print run is completed, that is a LOT of space in a warehouse.

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe it's just me but I would think you would do each board 100% before moving on to the next board. :clown:

My God was that lame. It was so lame I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a Sparafucial joke.

< waiting for Psycho to turn it into a mother or ol' lady joke>

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I love Jim. Can't wait to spoon with him again this year!

My God was that lame. It was so lame I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a Sparafucial joke.

< waiting for Psycho to turn it into a mother or ol' lady joke>
Jim doesn't make jokes... at least nothing he has said seems funny so far. :D

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Maybe it's just me but I would think you would do each board 100% before moving on to the next board."

Some of your best work. :)

On topic too!! Well done.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
BobO is a Tiger fan (best insult I could think of for him)

"Maybe it's just me but I would think you would do each board 100% before moving on to the next board."

Some of your best work. :)

On topic too!! Well done.
I don't know about best but you're obviously a much better judge than that rectal thermometer BobO. :toast:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim doesn't make jokes... at least nothing he has said seems funny so far. :D
I make funnies. Just ask my mom. Let me go upstairs from the basement and ask her to tell you herself. -- jim

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I make funnies. Just ask my mom. Let me go upstairs from the basement and ask her to tell you herself. -- jim
Hey Norman Bates Jr, you in her dress and a wig doesn't fool anybody. Creeps us out a bit of course. :nervous:

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Norman Bates Jr, you in her dress and a wig doesn't fool anybody. Creeps us out a bit of course. :nervous:

Did ya notice that Jim didn't reply to your spooning comment.

There's a reason for that.

:halo:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Did ya notice that Jim didn't reply to your spooning comment.

There's a reason for that.

:halo:
I was trying not to bring attention to it. It was supposed to be our secret. -- jim

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Brian,

Yep, it was me who asked about the quality of the unmounted maps vs. the SK-style.

BTW - You'll note I gave MMP due props for this sale. :)

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'd like to say i'm shocked that a lot of this thread was grumbling about postage costs when buying something for a buck - but i'm not.

Now let me explain (not that this will appease the neighsayers, but what the heck...).

First off, way back when MMP charged for postage based on price. Man were we ROASTED for doing this. So we overhauled the whole system and charge by weight (the "correct" thing to do IMO). So first person who says "But it only cost a buck and I have to pay $6 for shipping" gets a big raspberry. You can't have it both ways, folks...

Our shopsite software has 1 postage unit as the lowest measure of weight. A magazine, a sheet of paper, anything up to 8 oz. If we put in 0, then the shipping is free. So we have no choice but to put 1 for anything up to 8 oz.

So, each map has a shipping "unit" of 1 to the system. Why? Because someone may wish to order 1, someone may wish to order 100. Order 10 maps, it's 10 units (which equates to 5 lbs). Order 60 maps and its 60 units (which equates to 30 lbs and breaks our system). 10 fraction of an ounce paper maps is still ten units in the system, just as 10 mounted mapboards - at probably four pounds - is still ten units in the system.

So, had anyone actually asked us instead of assuming that we're merely pulling an ebay and jacking up the postage to "make money" perhaps we would have thought/remembered to post that we're crediting back $ on the absurdly high overpayments for unmounted maps (much like we're billing extra for the guys ordering 100 maps - our system "stops" billing postage at 32 lbs IIRC). Sorry guys, we can't think of everything and this just slipped my mind. The office has orders to refund/charge so at +/- five bucks. I assume they're doing as requested.

To those who assume we're "making money on shipping" there are plenty of reasons why we're not. pre-A) like I said we're trying to even out under/overpayments at a reasonable rate of under/overpaying. A) we pay employees to pack and ship orders, we pay for the building for them to pack and ship orders in, and we pay a freaking buttload of $ to UPS and/or the USPS to actually ship the items. We used to call this a service charge, or "handling" (I forget which) but so many people complained that we just wrapped the buck and change for "handling" into the shipping cost. B) others ship for less! They sure do. A $70 game we would sell for $35. I see it all the time and I know how much people's product costs to produce, i've calculated more than a few games costs. :smile: HELLO, if you're getting a better shipping cost than it costs to ship the game then they have wrapped it into the price of the game! I can't believe this is a revelation to anyone, but it seemingly is. C) My stamp says $1.32 and I was billed $5. The people who live in Maryland get hosed, postage/shipping to them is always higher than necessary. The people who live in Oregon get a break, it's usually the other way around. Shipping for UPS/USPS would be idealized (is that a word?) if we lived and ran MMP in the center of the country. We don't, we're a coastal company. One day, I hope, we'll have a better system of getting more exact postage. Right now the tables we have/use "work" on average. Some guys get a little hosed, some guys get a little break, and some guys are just right.

The net result is if you don't like paying the shipping don't. It is what it is. We're not making money selling these boards, the mounted maps cost more than a buck each to produce. And they have been in our warehouse how long? They need to be gone, and they will be gone in just a few weeks.

And whomever asked (Portal? Maybe Aries, can't recall...) I'd wait for the SK version before buying the unmounted maps, personally. You have to laminate the paper maps, that costs more than the maps themselves now. :smile: And the printer we now use does a better trim job (less "tight") than the old printer.

Of course I have no problems with computer vs. painted art so that may alter your decision as well.

Don't wait too long, though, they'll be notepads a few weeks from now...
Good grief Brian stop sweating the whining :) Even Les was happy to get in some boards without complaining hehe. Those that whined are clearly too interested in whining.

ScoobySnacks

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Thanks MMP...my order just arrived this morning. Talk about quick turnaround. Now my map set is as complete as can be until I order the final module's I do not own yet.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the up-date, Brian, and the advice about the unmounted vs. SK maps.

I understand your frustration sometimes. If you'd had $1 maps+free shipping, some would have complained about having to pay for doing you the favor of helping to clear space in your warehouse.

"Don't sweat the whining" is stamped on the inside of my eyelids ;)