MMP and Shipping ...

Stardragon99

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I ordered a pair of shoes a few years ago which were delivered through UPS. They then charged me $48 to 'clear these through customs on my behalf'. This was not government duty or taxes...it was an additional fee...NO ONE else charges this fee!! I do not do purchase off any websites that only offer UPS shipping. UPS gives web vendors a great rate to be their exclusive shipping company. What the company does not see is the lost sales. The company doesnt pay the shipping anyway...we do...as long as you give us a fair price we're fine. Their sales guy set the tone for you "why should you care, your customer have to pay that fee".

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, UPS revisited...

Update from Brian:

So I email the first two complaints for brokerage fees to both our UPS reps and say "this is why we'll probably stick with the USPS, I don't wish to hose our customers by making them pay even more." That was at around 9:45-10am today.

I leave MMP at 11. I get a call from the office at noon, the reps showed up at our office to explain how to avoid brokerage fees - ship expedited. Sure it costs a little bit more, but no fees.

So, here's what we're going to do. I've told the office that the next batch of foreign orders we should try billing them expedited to see exactly what "a little bit more" means. [EDIT: BTW, expedited is supposed to get to Europe in approx 3 days. Gone are the days of 16-20 weeks for surface shipping...]

If its reasonably "a little bit more" then we'll eat that cost to stick with UPS. We realize that this is in spite of the few folks who have said they prefer USPS so they can go get the package. The value of tracking is worth it to us.

If its not reasonably "a little bit more" then f'em, we're going back to USPS.

So we'll know more about the situation on Monday, i'll call the office from the beach to see what's what and then give Perry a call and ask him to update you guys...

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only carrier I don't care for is Airborne Express in conjunction with the USPS -- they must use a mule train to transport packages.

I hope you aren't waiting for anything from Airborne, as they were bought, and, went out of buisness a few years ago. Could explain the long wait.:laugh: Also I know FedEx is very good with international shipping, haven't heard anything good or bad about them in this thread. Any reason not to ship with FedEx?

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When was the last time you spoke to someone there. I am pretty sure that they don't add anything like that to it's international shipments. Also, check out the ground prices, that's a fairly new option, it is intended to compete with the other carriers, for bulk shipments and such. Not an expert on ground, but, may be worth a try for you.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure Brian checked all shipping options when the USPS thing came about, but will e-mail him.

Steiner!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got a package from UPS at 8 pm couple of nights ago. Get to know your UPS man and he will call you on your cell to ask when you will be home. Mine does.

dude163

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ah crap...

I just ordered 2 maps from MMP for 7.25. So when will this extra money come up to me? How much will it be? Will I have to fork it over at the door before I get my package? Two maps to Ottawa.... that can't be much... can it? :OHNO:

- The Canadian Dude

P.S. Not blaming MMP, they were unaware that they were getting screwed over, just worrying about my own fragile pockets.

Thats what I had, cost me 23 bucks to get the gear off the UPS guy
17 of it was a *brokerage fee*

plus taxes of course

arno_FR

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It is really amazing that the same problem occured several months ago with GMT, and that nobody at MMP knows about international brokerage fees problem with UPS.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is really amazing that the same problem occured several months ago with GMT, and that nobody at MMP knows about international brokerage fees problem with UPS.
What's amazing is the assumption that because it happened with GMT's international customers that MMP "should" know about it.

Sheeze.

I didn't know about this issue, is that 'amazing'?:rolleyes:

arno_FR

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The "UPS brokerage fees" was largely discussed on Consimworld in the GMT thread (at least).
consimworld forums are well known, i guess.
That's all. It is MMP's market. It is their job to ship items worldwide. GMT is not a small company in the business.

I am surprised. That's what means "amazing" for me.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I can see your point.

OTOH, I'm a wargammer, and I don't ready about GMTs games or issues...

<where is the shrug icon?>

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a thankless issue for MMP--nothing but headaches and problems, from every front. Kudos to them for spending the energy to try to find a solution.

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thats what I had, cost me 23 bucks to get the gear off the UPS guy
17 of it was a *brokerage fee*

plus taxes of course
guh.... I'm pulling out the hockey stick. Now all doors are answered with a hockey stick in hand....

What brokage fee you talking about brown boy...... :angry:

- The Canadian Dude

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a thankless issue for MMP--nothing but headaches and problems, from every front. Kudos to them for spending the energy to try to find a solution.
I'd give ya rep, but .... I can't.

There are several issues like this. No matter what they do they get hammered.

If I say they are doing a good job, will that get my "Few Returned" to me a little sooner? :cool: