MMC Capabilities: which is the most important to you?

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Range, firepower and moral, if I can shoot you at full fire power and you strike back at half I like those odds. If my guys are not green or conscript but that might be a pipedream.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hmmm interesting. Good question
Well I go for 548 assault engineers. Good morale. Smoke. Reasonable range (especially with LMG). Spraying fire and assault fire capabilities. Ability to use DC and FT. Appears to fit most requirements.
So good for most infantry combat situations.

I guess if I’m sitting on the fence? I may have some wall advantages?? 😅👍

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Like others pointed out - it largely depends on the terrain that you're fighting in and the general situation, in my opinion. FP beast with 100 meter range in the plain field/desert won't do any good, same as high range low FP unit in building/forest dense area. IMHO the best capability of MMC is its' potential to work as a combine arms - you can use SW to improve your FP/range without any drawbacks or form a FG with another unit, you can use a leader/terrain etc. to improve your morale/DR/MF, and so forth.

This is another thing that makes this game a milestone in wargaming - there are no "key factors" that are crucial and constant regardless of the situation. Just as in real warfare, I assume.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Range, firepower and moral, if I can shoot you at full fire power and you strike back at half I like those odds. If my guys are not green or conscript but that might be a pipedream.
Thanks!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm interesting. Good question
Well I go for 548 assault engineers. Good morale. Smoke. Reasonable range (especially with LMG). Spraying fire and assault fire capabilities. Ability to use DC and FT. Appears to fit most requirements.
So good for most infantry combat situations.

I guess if I’m sitting on the fence? I may have some wall advantages?? 😅👍
Nice!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Like others pointed out - it largely depends on the terrain that you're fighting in and the general situation, in my opinion. FP beast with 100 meter range in the plain field/desert won't do any good, same as high range low FP unit in building/forest dense area. IMHO the best capability of MMC is its' potential to work as a combine arms - you can use SW to improve your FP/range without any drawbacks or form a FG with another unit, you can use a leader/terrain etc. to improve your morale/DR/MF, and so forth.

This is another thing that makes this game a milestone in wargaming - there are no "key factors" that are crucial and constant regardless of the situation. Just as in real warfare, I assume.
Thanks!

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It depends on the scenario and the terrain. Defending across open terrain or good LOSs down streets, and I like a 4-6-7 paired with an MG. Dense urban fighting, and I like 6-2-8s. If I have to attack, I like 6-6-6 or 7-4-7 with assault fire. 8 morale is always welcome. So are troops that don’t cower.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just like the realtor says, location, location, location. Where you fight will have consequences with the type of forces you are fighting with or against.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 19053

Since I have settled on the above as my majority squad type, somehow I never had to ponder whether FP, Range or Morale is most important to me.

Life can be so easy... ;)

von Marwitz
Lol. I've been pondering starting a thread: Squad DYO. It looks as if you've already thought about it!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Lol. I've been pondering starting a thread: Squad DYO. It looks as if you've already thought about it!
After a bit of thought I came to the conclusion that the DYO process would either be very simple or very complex.

The initial idea was to give respondents a way to graphically express their thoughts about the relative importance of the Capabilities. I always liked DYO so that seemed to be a good approach.

I still may work on a DYO Squad Basic Version. Researching an Advanced Version would be a great way to learn or relearn all the capabilities of a MMC.

If anyone cares to contribute some thoughts on Squad DYO or pursue a version of your own please feel free to do so. Thanks!!

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Depends on whose player turn it is: My Prep Fire = Firepower & Range, his Defensive Fire = Morale. His Prep Fire = Morale, my Defensive Fire = Firepower & Range.
My Advancing Fire = Firepower. His Advancing Fire = Morale. Close Combat = Firepower.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As is to be expected I am not familiar with that scenario. Could you elaborate for this OMOOT?
well it's alot like The Hedgehog of Piepsk, but with no OBA and an urban setting (Berlin?)

German MGS (and not much else) need to hurt Russian 527 and 447 hordes before they can close-- and keep them at long range as much as possible.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To seriously answer, I hesitate between morale and range as first values: in an urban setting, morale will come first; in a more open situation, range is very important.
FP is third as, again, maneuver is essential.
If any enemy is not manuevering effectively and using the terrain for cover, a 2 FP shot can get the job done.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
well it's alot like The Hedgehog of Piepsk, but with no OBA and an urban setting (Berlin?)

German MGS (and not much else) need to hurt Russian 527 and 447 hordes before they can close-- and keep them at long range as much as possible.
Thanks Pete!

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd say morale. Yes, as everyone else has mentioned, standard disclaimers and caveats apply, urban vs. rural, situation dependent, yadda yadda. Of course there are exceptions. But by and large, morale has the biggest impact over the largest number of games, in my experience. That being said, of course there are some cases where range is so low (6-2-8 e.g.) that their effectiveness is mitigated quite a bit. This is true for any of them, though--too low and they're close to useless. A 1-4-11 squad wouldn't be very useful. Nor would a 9-4-5. But if I'm looking for a very rough rule of thumb, I'd go with morale.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'd say morale. Yes, as everyone else has mentioned, standard disclaimers and caveats apply, urban vs. rural, situation dependent, yadda yadda. Of course there are exceptions. But by and large, morale has the biggest impact over the largest number of games, in my experience. That being said, of course there are some cases where range is so low (6-2-8 e.g.) that their effectiveness is mitigated quite a bit. This is true for any of them, though--too low and they're close to useless. A 1-4-11 squad wouldn't be very useful. Nor would a 9-4-5. But if I'm looking for a very rough rule of thumb, I'd go with morale.
In the DYO Squad thread I assigned morale to cost the most Design Points for that reason. Lol that being said my DYO was a 2-8-4. I like a long reach.