MMC Capabilities: which is the most important to you?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Firepower, Range, or Morale. Which of these is the most important to you? I realize that this is really situational but in general which do you value the most?

I would say for me it would be Range. Being able to have influence twelve hexes away makes the six range something to be feared. Oddly enough I preferred the Russians over the Germans.

This thread came about while thinking about starting a thread on squad equivalency. In other words how many Russian 4-4-7s does it take to countervail two German 4-6-7s? And yes this all did come about while pondering yesterday's Word of the Day. 🤣

While discussing the countervail question with Captain Bacchus we decided that the answer was dependent upon which MMC Capability was most important to the person being asked. So here we are and thanks for any responses.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Range is probably the biggest factor duirng scenario design. Will those 527s actually have a chance to close and use their assault fire? In Stalingrad, -usually they will, as the cover is good. With NKPA in Korea - often the answer is no. So, there needs to be more of them. Or some 447s to balance it out.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Range is probably the biggest factor duirng scenario design. Will those 527s actually have a chance to close and use their assault fire? In Stalingrad, -usually they will, as the cover is good. With NKPA in Korea - often the answer is no. So, there needs to be more of them. Or some 447s to balance it out.
Thanks Pete!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One of my favorite scenarios that illustrates the importance of range- J125 Everything is Lost.

In fact, I would say it's the main feature of the scenario
As is to be expected I am not familiar with that scenario. Could you elaborate for this OMOOT?

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Morale is my number one factor. Range and firepower don't matter much when your boys are running for their lives.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd say Morale, Range, FP - You can generally compensate for FP with FGs..

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bah! I can see nobody here appreciates the Americans. It's all about the FIREPOWER-RANGE combo. Add those two numbers together for a most telling metric. For the widest range of missions, the only thing better than a pile of 6-6-6s is a pile of 7-6-8s.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bah! I can see nobody here appreciates the Americans. It's all about the FIREPOWER-RANGE combo. Add those two numbers together for a most telling metric. For the widest range of missions, the only thing better than a pile of 6-6-6s is a pile of 7-6-8s.
Yes I quite liked that combination and always liked the Americans, even with that low morale. Wbitd the 8-4-7s were outstanding! 7-6-8s just about the perfect MMC.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Or 6-6-7s :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It is soooo dependent on the combat situation and the particular combination of the three factors. If I have to pick one I'd say morale.

Seth
Yes it is very situational but an interesting question to consider over some wine or other refreshment.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am tempted to answer slightly beside the aim of the question: the main asset of infantry is its MF.
Maneuver is the key element in ASL.
If a unit cannot move it obviously cannot reach geographical objectives and, if it only must fire and score CVP, the impact will be limited.

To seriously answer, I hesitate between morale and range as first values: in an urban setting, morale will come first; in a more open situation, range is very important.
FP is third as, again, maneuver is essential.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I am tempted to answer slightly beside the aim of the question: the main asset of infantry is its MF.
Maneuver is the key element in ASL.
If a unit cannot move it obviously cannot reach geographical objectives and, if it only must fire and score CVP, the impact will be limited.

To seriously answer, I hesitate between morale and range as first values: in an urban setting, morale will come first; in a more open situation, range is very important.
FP is third as, again, maneuver is essential.
Thanks! I totally agree about maneuver. It was one of the most difficult concepts to get new players that I was teaching to embrace. After repeatedly cutting off their units Rout paths it began to sink in.