MLK day

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Anyone around here old enough to regale us with their tales of that time?

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By "that time," do you mean Dr. King's courageous fight for civil rights? Or the time that the government renamed a government & bank holiday for Dr. King?

I remember both times. Even though I was only in 4th grade in 1968, I definitely recall that the former was far more significant than the latter.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's how the TDS lame-stream media commemorated MLK Day 2018...
Trump breaks with past presidents on MLK Day activities
  • By KAREN TRAVERS
  • KATERI JOCHUM
Jan 15, 2018

President Donald Trump's schedule today marks a break in presidential tradition.

[...]

While Trump urged Americans last Friday to observe the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday with acts of civic work and community service to honor the life of the civil rights legend, it doesn’t appear he'll be doing the same, with no public events listed on his schedule.

[...]

President Barack Obama and his family made it an annual tradition to participate in some type of service event, from working at a soup kitchen to painting a mural at a family shelter.

[...]

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-breaks-past-presidents-mlk-day-activities/story?id=52356012
Trump broke Obama's annual tradition... Oh the humanity!

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
"that time" being the years bracketing his death.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1968 plus or minus a year ... I was 9-11 years old. My older brother was a USMC Sgt. in Vietnam, the evening news was filled with long-haired maggot-infested protestors calling my brother a baby killer, Detroit, Watts and other cities were in flames, the Apollo 207 fire killed Grissom, White & Chafee, Borman, Lovell & Anders read Genesis on national TV as Apollo 8 completed the first manned lunar orbit on Christmas Eve 1968 - Drawing a lawsuit by atheist assholes, Armstrong & Aldrin landed on the Moon, while Collins orbited overhead, muscle cars were at their zenith, the Jets won the Super Bowl, the Mets won the World Series, lone gunmen murdered RFK & MLK, the Manson Family went on a rampage... Good times (sarcastic in part).

Last edited:

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the time it was happening we saw what the big 3 TV channels showed on the nightly news so it was limited unless you happened to live in one of the places that something happened in.

Doggie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You forgot that civil rights activists considered the space program a waste of money that should have been redistributed to the NAACP.