MK7 Under Shell and Bombs

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all

Bob and I got together to kick off our thanks giving weekend game wed. night. We will conclude the scenario on Sunday with a more fuller AAR. For now, here is what happened initially in our game for German turn 1. For convenience sake, Bob came by and after I had set up the Russians. The set up instructions are somewhat complicated because the Russians have three groups they need to set up, one group sets up between the raillines and outside the German set up perimeter. Another group sets up behind the Railline basically to protect the victory buildings and then we have the Heavy weapons group that sets up around the level four hill IE within a certain area so they really can not spread out. But this Heavy Weapons Group does get lots of trenches and pillboxes to protect themselves from the initial German 120mm Rocket OBA (if the Germans so choose to target these guys more or less) The German set up is not too far from the level four hill in a sort of L shape type perimeter, see pic for a look at the german perimeter, though with the German flanking group, the set up instructions were not very clear so we had to readjust the German perimeter slightly (the guys that set up on /south of the K29-U25-U29 hexgrain). So with that out of the way, we had to also adjust the VC, the problem here is that if those 120's land on buildings, they might either rubble them or burn them and thus the Germans could lose buildings due to poor editing. So what we did was all VC buildings are immune to fires and they still count even if rubbled.

Of course your probably asking your self, why go through all that trouble, well Bob and I are huge Stalingrad buffs and to play on a historical map of the battle is what really counts as well as having a good time. We are not out for blood lol. As for the first turn, Bob had hit the Y24 building area with all three 120mm Rockets and completely pasted my guys therein. But the good news is all my Heavy weapons are still around and I spread out enough so that in my next turn, I'll reform a good defensive perimeter near Y24. As is usual with attacking up hill in open ground, the Germans placed numerous amounts of smoke to cover their advance. Some good things did happen for the Russians as I managed to ambush a german tank and burned it, so that was nice.

Anyway, with a dent put into the Russian defenses by the OBA, I still think it is still a viable game for both the Germans and the Russians. Also it is alot of fun for both sides, Will continue this sunday evening. Oh ya, thiois scenario comes from CH Mamayev Kurgan: Hill of Blood module.

Scott
mk turn 1 003.jpg

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Love the map and the Croatian counters on this one. Played the CG a couple of years ago and found it needed a few 'tweaks' to work but being CH i expected that and it doesn't detract from the game.

Look forwared to your next write up!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Well, this is a large action, so each turn was clocking in at 2 hours per a turn. This was due to a dense counter room, terrain that needed to be closely looked at, slopes, Hill to Hill LoS and so on. So Bob and I managed to get through two turns with us starting Russian turn 3 when we get together this week and a good chance of maybe finishing up saturday. Nonetheless, if you enjoy Stalingrad but want to get out of the city and play a king of the hill sort action, then this one is for you. We are both having a great time, though Bob more so then me just because my lads are just pathetic at passing MC's. Still, as much as I whined I still feel my Russians can pull this off. Anyway, here is a rundown of what occurred during our the two turns we did play.

With Russian I had to shift alot of my guys towards the Y25 factory to help bolster what was left of my defenders as the Germans were trying to make their push. A big problem for the Russians right now is that there is alot of smoke out there, so it is kind of tough to get a bead on the Germans with my 50 cals and my guns. The Germans for their part are slowly creeping up the hill, but if I can put down harassing fire from my OBA observer then I might a buy some time to reorganize my defense. As the game progressed, the Germans for their part have swamped my left flank in the N9 area, but my newly re positioned 50cal led by my 10-2 manages to knock off a couple of German squads, but sadly, my commissar in that same area died, he deserved anyway for failing a NMC. The German Armor also takes a few losses from both MOL-P's hidden in the rubble, but the German infantry quickly dispatch those poor Russian commi peasants. Near the Y25 factory, the Germans manage to knock out my 76L crew in a pillbox in CC, on my flank, where my MOL P toting 127 is, he is ambushed by the Germans and to add insult to injury, the Germans do it with style by rolling snakes in CC and getting an 8-1 out of it. On my turn, i manage to get a concealed 458 next to a german squad in the factory hex, CC his squad and wiped that German squad out. As you can see from the pics, lots of smoke. It is also back and forth near the Y25 factory but with the German Stukas arriving, my shift will be slowed down to a crawl. On the other hand, I was able to put down harassing OBA on the hill, so that kind of halted the German advance slightly.

All in all, a couple of frustrating turns for both the Germans and Russians, the Russians have had the 81mm MTR go melf, the Germans MA on one of their tanks Melfed. Lots of failures to rout for the Russians, a few for the Germans. Bob realizes he not only has to take the majority of VC Hexes on the Hill but must also take some of the VC hexes east of the railway line. So far, even though the Russians have tsaken it on the chin a couple of times, they are still in this one and we both think it will go the distance, after all, the Germans do have to take all but a 2 VC hexes to win.

Scott
Turn 2.jpg Turn 3.jpg

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott, you and Bob play the game so much, I'll bet you don't spend much time in the way of rules look ups. Shoot, I'll bet you have the charts memorized too. Thanks for the pictures and ongoing AAR.

Al

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, if you could do a VASL version of the map, I would be more then happy to play ya.

Scott, you and Bob play the game so much, I'll bet you don't spend much time in the way of rules look ups. Shoot, I'll bet you have the charts memorized too. Thanks for the pictures and ongoing AAR.

Al