Mist and Buildings

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For some reason its been in my mind that mist does not apply when the LOS stays entirely within a building depiction.

But I've been unable to locate such in the rules.

Am I making up rules again? :hush:

JT

tipsyweasel

Dead but still purring
Reaction score
EXC: if building is defined as a Villain's Lair (E.007) there may be a fog of halogen gas if an attacking Hero has triggered the fire alarm system.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
E3.8 Buildings Weather is always "Clear" for units in a building viewing/firing to/entering another location of that same building through a building hexside and for units in the same hex [EXC: Bypass/Rooftop].
Thanks!

So now for my next question:

Keeping in mind the following:

- Heavy Rain is in effect.​
-O5.44 EC & WEATHER: All effects of EC and Weather apply in a Roofless Factory Hex despite it being a building. However, of these effects, only Fog/Mist [EXC: Mist due to Rain or Falling Snow; E3.52, E3.711] can ever apply in the roofed hexes of such a Factory.​

In the attached image, would the shot from the 467 to Slimnov be modified by:

A) +2 (M16/L16 Factory Hindrance (+1) & M17 Factory TEM (+1))

B) +3 (M16/L16 Factory Hindrance (+1) & Mist (+1) and M17 Factory TEM (+1)

C) +3 (L16 Roofless Factory Hindrance (+2) & M17 Factory TEM (+1))

D) +4 (L16 Roofless Factory Hindrance (+2) & Mist (+1) and M17 Factory TEM (+1)

Thanks ahead of time,

JT

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks!

So now for my next question:

Keeping in mind the following:

- Heavy Rain is in effect.​
-O5.44 EC & WEATHER: All effects of EC and Weather apply in a Roofless Factory Hex despite it being a building. However, of these effects, only Fog/Mist [EXC: Mist due to Rain or Falling Snow; E3.52, E3.711] can ever apply in the roofed hexes of such a Factory.​

In the attached image, would the shot from the 467 to Slimnov be modified by:

A) +2 (M16/L16 Factory Hindrance (+1) & M17 Factory TEM (+1))

B) +3 (M16/L16 Factory Hindrance (+1) & Mist (+1) and M17 Factory TEM (+1)

C) +3 (L16 Roofless Factory Hindrance (+2) & M17 Factory TEM (+1))

Thanks ahead of time,

JT
I would choose D - there is an example on page O3, rule O5.41 that gives the Roofless Factory intervening hex the +2, the +1 of the Factory TEM, and then you add the +1 Heavy Rain from O5.44 for the roofless location in L16.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The main thing to worry about when inside the building is all the nasty tentacly things outside the building. Also, don't shoot your son.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The main thing to worry about when inside the building is all the nasty tentacly things outside the building. Also, don't shoot your son.
Edit: Never mind, turns out John had failed his HFSTC...

{Horror Flick Sighting TC}

Last edited:

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An obscure-ass reference to "The Mist". Well done.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR's response implies that there's an example on page O3 that clearly addresses the LOS along the hexside. I don't see anything in my copy of Chapter O that says this; it may be out of date (or I may be going blind). However, I agree with his answer anyway.

My reasoning is that, despite the way the artwork usually depicts them, for rules purposes the factory roofs extend to just short of the hexside -- as indicated by the statement in O5.43 relating them to cliff hexsides. (If either unit in your picture were on the rooftop, he'd be able to see along the hexside to the other one on the ground.)

So, the hexside itself is not part of the roof -- and therefore must be part of the "roofless".

However, all these years later, it finally occurs to me that maybe Charlie did the artwork so it crept over the hexsides not, as I have always assumed, out of sheer artistry, but because he intended it to be a true guide to whether the hexside itself is roofed or roofless. The wording of O5.43 can just as logically represent the "reality" that the guys on the rooftop are spread out along the edge of it and can see around the roofed part.

John

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR's response implies that there's an example on page O3 that clearly addresses the LOS along the hexside. I don't see anything in my copy of Chapter O that says this; it may be out of date (or I may be going blind). However, I agree with his answer anyway.

My reasoning is that, despite the way the artwork usually depicts them, for rules purposes the factory roofs extend to just short of the hexside -- as indicated by the statement in O5.43 relating them to cliff hexsides. (If either unit in your picture were on the rooftop, he'd be able to see along the hexside to the other one on the ground.)

So, the hexside itself is not part of the roof -- and therefore must be part of the "roofless".

However, all these years later, it finally occurs to me that maybe Charlie did the artwork so it crept over the hexsides not, as I have always assumed, out of sheer artistry, but because he intended it to be a true guide to whether the hexside itself is roofed or roofless. The wording of O5.43 can just as logically represent the "reality" that the guys on the rooftop are spread out along the edge of it and can see around the roofed part.

John
I knew there must be somethong that I was missing. I did not catch the hexside and given that, I do not know how it would affect the shot. My best guess is that the you would have to accont for the weather as well. The factory debris would not add another +1. However, I see the issue and do not know for sure.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for posting this thread, JT. We were wrestling with this very same question and half-remembered rule the other night.

You hear this, Simmons?!?!?!!?

S