ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Mission: Infiltration
Your force has been given the task of moving behind the enemy frontline under the cover of darkness. Your unit will receive support after you send the flare, so try to successfully link up after making it through the enemy’s line undetected.
Special: 🎲roll for NVR
🎲Friendlies aren’t controlled and they use attack orientation will engage your initial forces if at beyond the standard NVR, so try to get deep behind enemy lines before they come.
🎲 Objective hexes can be marked and will not be targeted by friendlies

Mission: Raid! Enemy is in a lax posture and you must rescue our prisoners or capture the enemy’s commander.
🎲 New form of movement: instead of attack or defend, the enemy will adopt a “patrol” attitude at the onset of the scenario and will adopt defense if either side initiates fire.
🎲 Stationary (not patrolling) enemy units can be attacked in hand to hand. This does not initiate defense if successful.
🎲Lookouts. Towers and tall buildings may contain a lone sentry, represented by a 7-0. They have a covered arc which may change in the Mph and AfPh.

Mission: Naval evacuation. Amphibious landing in reverse! The enemy stands between you and a ride back to friendly shores. To make things worse, the majority of the enemy is moving to clear your forces out. The only option is to attack and hopefully hold out long enough for your boats to arrive!
🎲 You don’t know when your friendly boats will come, but you MUST be there or your war will be over. High risk scenario!

Decisive battle: this engagement will decisively shape your campaign over the coming months. You can expect heavy support, but these troops are not expendable. If you don’t inflict three times as much damage on the enemy, the mission will be a failure. The enemy will be heavy in numbers and quality as well.
🎲When playing campaign, a defeat in this mission will force you to play 1-3 Missions with a DRM to enemy activation #.
🎲 Enemy squad generation tables have a -1 DRM in addition to DRMs applicable for that year.

Brothers in arms: restricted to Allied minor, Axis minor, and Germans. Standard defense scenario but your reinforcements are going to be British or French (if allied), Germans if axis minor, and Axis minor if German.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Armored graveyard: Yesterday there was a terrible tank battle in this area. Our forces kept pushing on to the deep objectives, so it lies to you to conduct a follow up operation and to move to support.
🎲 Both friendly and enemy burnt out wrecks and unconfirmed kills are strewn about the battlefield. Be careful! Some of them may not quite be as dead as they look.
🎲 Enemy infantry holdouts are also suspected to be in the area. Standard “pockets” mission rules apply but scaled back.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Armored graveyard: Yesterday there was a terrible tank battle in this area. Our forces kept pushing on to the deep objectives, so it lies to you to conduct a follow up operation and to move to support.
🎲 Both friendly and enemy burnt out wrecks and unconfirmed kills are strewn about the battlefield. Be careful! Some of them may not quite be as dead as they look.
🎲 Enemy infantry holdouts are also suspected to be in the area. Standard “pockets” mission rules apply but scaled back.
I like these! the top one, Infiltration, was aleady made by I think, Hans Mielant

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I only have the basic missions so I’m probably not getting all the content.

I know that I did see a variant which added new boards. I really want to expand on that and see if overlays can be worked in. Desert too.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I like these! the top one, Infiltration, was aleady made by I think, Hans Mielant
I tried to track it down but I think I only have "Infiltration" in hard copy at this point, which is extra unfortunate since the links to his stuff seem to all be dead. He actually had two linked missions for Infiltration. I'm not sure without checking if I've played the first one (though it sort of seems like I have) and I've definitely never played the 2nd.

There's also a mission somewhat similar in objective to ParaMarine's proposed "Raid!" The "Rescue" mission here involves breaking through to trapped friendly forces then escaping. This one I have played and it worked quite well - though in ASL games can change a lot from one playing to another. In general I've found these GSASL missions to be better developed than the Hans Mielant missions.

Regardless of whether a mission has been done before I'd encourage folks to explore reinterpreting themes if they have an interest in trying their hands at mission making. Frankly both some of the 'official' and fan produced missions could be improved upon.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll post some dropbox links of some of the missions and free third party rules I have collected over the years. One of them is some desert rules.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
When I get new boards from third parties I try to include those where appropriate.

With Crucible of Steel I really want to use those more sparingly because they’re mostly empty, but the ones with the hillocks I would like to integrate into more standard map rotations.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great post! Thanks very much. I’ve bookmarked it with my favorites.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, A_T_Great. This is Great!!!

PS: If you use the Chrome browser you can copy and paste this into Keep and it preserves all the links as links.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I get new boards from third parties I try to include those where appropriate.

With Crucible of Steel I really want to use those more sparingly because they’re mostly empty, but the ones with the hillocks I would like to integrate into more standard map rotations.
One of the "Objective" locations that's overlooked is crossroads/intersection. For most ASL related instances it is of minor importance however, as a general military objective they are quite so, especially in an operational or strategic perspective. Even with a pretty much open terrain board one could incorporate them as an objective location(s) or areas needed to be secured if not actually seized.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
One of the "Objective" locations that's overlooked is crossroads/intersection. For most ASL related instances it is of minor importance however, as a general military objective they are quite so, especially in an operational or strategic perspective. Even with a pretty much open terrain board one could incorporate them as an objective location(s) or areas needed to be secured if not actually seized.
particularly if mud is in effect

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Maybe the thinking behind the mission is more that the area around the crossroads are secure. It wouldn’t be very good to grab the crossroad without even checking the surrounding terrain for immediate threats.

One thing ASL really makes me consider: 40m is really not that far of a distance. It’s a lot more explicit in where a unit is and what it is doing than many games but you’re still in imminent range of the enemy in any scenario.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Got to get together a committed assault. Something that begins with a bombardment but gives the enemy guaranteed reinforcements and a DRM for fortifications.