Mission #8 - A Coy/RCR Campaign, Sicily to Ortona, Italy, 1943

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 3 (CDN)

Sgt Musgrave and Canning aimed their main guns at some suspected enemy locations. Musgrave's light tank fired, the HE round smashing into the wooden building across the river, but doing little damage to the structure. Canning's shot was better placed in the wood line, but no Germans were there (dummy in E1).

It was time for 1 Pl to advance and to find those fleeing Germans. Maj Liddell had the PIAT section advance to within range of the building (P2), but no enemy were positioned there (dummy). Without any enemy in that building, Liddell had his soldiers rush forward at his urgent request; they circled around the woods and found the enemy skulking in the trees. The bren gun opened up on them, killing five Germans, while ten or so of them looked like they were attempting to surrender (HoB roll of "12") but in the heat of battle the trigger happy Canadians gunned them all down. (no quarter). Only Pasternack managed to escape and he fled through the woods to the other side.

A bird's eye view from above would have shown that the Canadians looked like ants - all of them moving about and along certain lines. 2 Pl under Capt Dillon moved due south along the riverbank, eventually finding the road through the trees. They were coming up from behind 1 Pl who was securing the bank itself.

The 3 Pl section in the rafts finally unloaded...Capt Bowman had the entirety of 3 Pl move inland, albeit slowly to maintain contact with the last section who had just disembarked. Their mission was to hold the bridgehead, and he was taking the time to survey good defensive positions amongst the marsh and trees.

Capt Chapman and CSM Sterlin had the firebase pack up and jump into the boats. The crossing here was shortest along the river (without getting stuck in swamp) and they managed to climb out of the boast behind 3 Pl.

The assault boats that had carried 1 and 2 Pls, A Coy, across the river had beached themselves in front of the reinforcing B Coy about a minute ago. Maj Galloway stroked his moustache nervously as he watched A Coy firebase move across the river. When they were halfway across, he ordered B Coy to get into the boats. Galloway moved with 4 Pl, and they clambered into the boats. Galloway and his two platoons were not going to follow A Coy; instead they found a narrow channel to penetrate further south of the bank. They would be in the boats longer, but they would be bettered positioned along the bank. Meanwhile, Cpl Ellis who was leading 6 Pl moved across the river where Capt Dillon had been previously. Some of his men were able to disembark while the others had a little farther to go. Finally, 5 Pl managed to jump into the boats after Maj Galloway departed, but they were not able to progress much at all.

The Canadians were moving everywhere, fully aware that a German reinforcement would be on the way soon...

TURN 3 (GER)

Stacks of S?. 39 counters in all with a minimum of 50% activation...here we go!

Both Honey tanks fired at the wooden building - splinters were flying everywhere but the damage was only superficial.

"Callsigns 1,2 this 19. Germans on the way! Get to your positions as soon as you can, out!"

Both Liddell and Galloway had heard the inevitable message from the CO. From their int briefings during orders, they knew that the 29th Panzer Grenadier Division would try to deny any foothold across the river at Castropignano. And so here they came. They would be relentless, and they would want to throw both companies back across the river as soon as they could.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 4 (CDN)

Sgt Canning fired the full compliment of MG firepower into the wooden building; it was so effective that he knew there were no Germans there (dummy in D2). He traversed the turret slightly and ordered the firing of the main gun at some woods...and suddenly the main gun jammed. Sgt Musgrave ordered firing into some woods but the fire was ineffective.

Maj Liddell hurried 1 Pl into the woods. The PIAT section moved forward and cleared the woods - no Germans there (dummy in L1). Liddell then advanced towards the wooden house to his front, but again there was no enemy there (dummy in J1).

"12 this is 19, new mission. Defend hill 517" Capt Dillon received his new orders from the company commander. His platoon was supposed to occupy any enemy fortifications along the bank, but none had been discovered yet. He stopped 2 Pl, gave the section commanders their new orders, and then marched the platoon west, through the woods and up onto hill 517 where he spaced the platoon apart, ready to defend it.

Capt Chapman saw a B Coy platoon coming across the river behind him. He tasked CSM Sterlin to intercept and lead them forward. Chapman then led the firebase up onto the eastern side of hill 517.

Capt Bowman selected positions for 3 Pl to defend the bridgehead proper. His men took up fire positions and they waited....

Maj Galloway managed to land one of his sections, but the remainder of the platoon were still in the boats. Cpl Ellis reported in to him that 6 Pl was completely across the water obstacle and were advancing westward to take up good defensive positions. Finally, 5 Pl had also crossed and were under the temporary command of A Coy's sergeant major. So far, everything was proceeding well.

TURN 4 (GER)

Cpl Pasternack steadied himself, and he managed to run back towards his friendly lines, taking up a position in a stone church. He could hear German reinforcements coming from the west.

Sgt Musgrave once more shredded a copse of trees with MG and HE fire - nothing would be alive in that area. (dummy in G1)

A and B Coy didn't know what was coming at them, but they knew the panzer grenadiers were on the way...

Well, there was once 15 x S? on the river bank and now there is but one remaining. 13 x S? were dummies (three of them by rolling "7" on A1) and only one was real. Only one last chance to have an enemy fortification

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A couple quick questions:

-The AFV's on the far side, can you get them across? Per the new MSR #2, they should have the equipment to get across. Not that your Co. needs any more help. It is unfortunate that you did not activate any fortifications. Once I removed 50 % of the suspect '?' (with no fortification activation), I probably would have added modifiers until I got at least 1 fortification and then take it back to the normal MSR.

-Do you have any more suspect ? counters available? I don't see anymore but I also can only see what your screen shot shows. You should have started with 38 '?' counters total.

I am following both of the SASL CG's and it reminds me of the CG I played a bit back of the Wiking SASL CG. The SASL system advantages the Friendly side too much. I stopped playing after/ around scenario 6 as I didn't seem to come close to losing even 1 scenario. There were just no real tense moments and it took the life out of it. Of course I don't have any where near the literary ability that you are showing so that might have been a contributing factor as well :). You both have seem to have struck a chord somewhat and characterize playing the SASL system.

I found a 'new' solo system developed by Peter K. that allows you to play any published scenario, against the AI, and am going to give that a try to see if it can create those tense actions. You must develop additional SSR's for the AI so that he will act according to the VC/ SSR's of each scenario.

Who knows, maybe I'll come back to this system. I do have a couple playtest SASL CG's (not developed by me) that I have put off playing so maybe. I kind of wish that MMP would start to publish some of these CG's.

Anyways, I enjoy reading your AAR's.

Last edited:

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
A couple quick questions:

-The AFV's on the far side, can you get them across? Per the new MSR #2, they should have the equipment to get across. Not that your Co. needs any more help. It is unfortunate that you did not activate any fortifications. Once I removed 50 % of the suspect '?' (with no fortification activation), I probably would have added modifiers until I got at least 1 fortification and then take it back to the normal MSR.

-Do you have any more suspect ? counters available? I don't see anymore but I also can only see what your screen shot shows. You should have started with 38 '?' counters total.

I am following both of the SASL CG's and it reminds me of the CG I played a bit back of the Wiking SASL CG. The SASL system advantages the Friendly side too much. I stopped playing after/ around scenario 6 as I didn't seem to come close to losing even 1 scenario. There were just no real tense moments and it took the life out of it. Of course I don't have any where near the literary ability that you are showing so that might have been a contributing factor as well :). You both have seem to have struck a chord somewhat and characterize playing the SASL system.

I found a 'new' solo system developed by Peter K. that allows you to play any published scenario, against the AI, and am going to give that a try to see if it can create those tense actions. You must develop additional SSR's for the AI so that he will act according to the VC/ SSR's of each scenario.

Who knows, maybe I'll come back to this system. I do have a couple playtest SASL CG's (not developed by me) that I have put off playing so maybe. I kind of wish that MMP would start to publish some of these CG's.

Anyways, I enjoy reading your AAR's.

Hey TopT, thank you for your post. I really appreciate the support.

As to your questions, I assumed the soldiers had boats to get across but not the AFVs. I am just going to play it out that way anyway. I have one last chance of getting fortifications. I may just make it happen anyway. Personally I think this mission should emphasize the bridgehead more. Sure the FRIENDLY side loses automatically if there are ENEMY in the bridgehead at game end, but why no VPs for successfully holding it? It is puzzling.

There are 39 suspect counters in total and yes they are off the screen - I hate looking at them lol.

I find the FRIENDLY side can tactically reveal the ENEMY side at his whim, and overpower the ENEMY (most of the time). I have lost to the ENEMY side though. If they get a lot of activations, and one or two good reinforcing RE's, it is all up for grabs. But if they get no RE's and have a low AC, then most of the time the FRIENDLY side can peel them apart like an onion :)

I am VERY interested in your other Peter K solo system. It would be great if you could demonstrate that on here. I have never tried those rules - its cool that you can play the existing scenarios!

Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 5 (CDN)

Both Honey tanks moved north about 80 meters or so; they needed to bring their fire upon another suspect area of woods. The MGs from both tanks ripped into the woods - they noticed some Germans scrambling and diving into their foxholes. The enemy setup an MG42 and swung it in the direction of the Honey tanks. Both crew commanders were exposed and using their AA MGs...

2 and 3 Pls were set in their positions and didn't move. They awaited the counterattack. Maj Liddell and 1 Pl consolidated in the woods. Liddell heard the chatter of the tank commanders on the radio net and knew that an MG42 was ahead of him, about 200 meters away. They couldn't see the Germans from this vantage point, but that would change soon. Meanwhile, Capt Chapman moved the firebase uphill towards the peak of hill 517. He took two mortars with him and set the other mortar and MMG beside him. They now had an incredible view of the valley below.

Maj Galloway landed with 4 Pl, and they moved to the forward position of the wood line that extended from the base of hill 517. They were going to set up here to prevent any flanking attempt around the hill towards the bridgehead. 5 Pl with CSM Sterlin moved down the road and moved into the rear area of 4 Pl. 6 Pl was having communication issues, so only the mortar section was able to advance forward and secure the next copse of woods.

Maj Liddell was happy with the Canadian defence. It was a strong position, and they only needed to hold on for about 15-20 more minutes until they would be supported by the rest of the brigade.

TURN 5 (GER)

Cpl Maas was unhappy. He had successfully hidden his squad and the MG42, but the Canadian tanks had found him out. He could see that the crew commanders were exposed in their hatches, and he directed the squad to fire at the closest one. The tracer rounds of the MG indicated that the burst was unfortunately too high, and they would need to adjust - and adjust soon or they would feel the wrath of the metal warriors.

Leutnant Kruger was moving his platoon eastwards toward the river. The OPs had reported that the Canadians were crossing in strength; by the time that his platoon would reach the area, the Canadians should be across successfully in numbers. He could be walking into a trap as his formation moved from some trees towards hill 517. No sooner had he pondered this when the mortar bombs started falling amongst his soldiers....

Capt Chapman saw the Germans, who were spread out, advancing through the trees towards the stone church. "Fire!" he yelled, and the skilled mortar men made a quick range estimate, adjusted the alignment of the tubes, and started dropping bombs into the tubes. The low "whump" sound of the mortars was accompanied seconds later by puffs of earth and smoke amongst the Germans. Looking through his binoculars, Chapman could see the progress of the Germans stop, as they were pinned by the fast firing mortars. The MMG also opened up on them, keeping their heads down...

Kruger was pressed to the ground, seeking cover as best he could. With small explosions all around, he ordered the one squad that was so far free from the enemy mortar fire to keep advancing. As that squad moved cautiously forward, they were suddenly engaged by small arms fire and a bren gun...

Capt Dillon had a good view on top of the hill. He heard the explosions of the friendly mortars but he couldn't quite see the Germans through the orchards which were obscuring his line of sight. But suddenly about ten Germans moved forward, completely within his line of fire. The bren gun opened up, killing one enemy soldier, and causing the others to flee back into the woods...so far so good.

Lt Kruger watched helplessly as his men retreated into the woods - they were out of the battle for a little while. Far to the south, he noted the advance of another German platoon on the small hill, as they attempted to advance and eventually out flank the Canadians. Kruger yelled into the radio mike, "We are pinned down! Enemy on hill 517 with mortars and MGs! We need support ASAP!" Thirty seconds had not passed when Kruger heard the familiar sounds of the higher pitched squealing of metal wheels. The earth began to rumble - and Kruger smiled.

"Shit! Panther!" Chapman had no problem viewing the monster through his binoculars. The latest version of the pride of German armour was advancing towards them menacingly. This would necessitate some rethinking of the coming tactics of the battle. For the first time, the PIATs would be a valuable resource, but the Panther tank had superb frontal armour and a flank shot would be necessary. As Chapman reported the tank to the company commanders, you could feel the tension increase in the voices across the radio net...

Oh boy......

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“Uh oh” I thought.

My wife, sitting nearby says, “What’s uh oh?”

I look up with a confused look as she can’t see what I’m reading on my iPad and I hadn’t said anything.

“Uh oh what?” She says again.

It’s then I realize I was so engrossed in the narrative that I involuntarily said uh oh out loud when the Panther picture scrolled into view.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
“Uh oh” I thought.

My wife, sitting nearby says, “What’s uh oh?”

I look up with a confused look as she can’t see what I’m reading on my iPad and I hadn’t said anything.

“Uh oh what?” She says again.

It’s then I realize I was so engrossed in the narrative that I involuntarily said uh oh out loud when the Panther picture scrolled into view.

OMG that was funny.....I just let my girlfriend read your response (giving her the background) and she giggled as well. Thanks!

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 6 (CDN)

Sgt Canning was happy that his gunner finally cleared the breach of the main gun, but it had taken several minutes. He heard the MGs and the retort of Musgrave's tank, but when he peeked out of the hatch, he had seen no change in the stance of the Germans.

Capt Chapman nervously eyed the oncoming Panther, but he had an immediate job to do. He ordered most of the entire firebase to fire at the Germans creeping towards him, pinning them in the open. Unfortunately, Capt Dillon's group had no shot because of the orchard cover.

Upon news of the Panther, Maj Liddell sent the PIAT section further west along the wood line. They would need to intercept the tank if it tried to outflank the bridgehead. He then gathered the other two sections and they slowly crept through the woods, aware that they could suddenly be ripped apart by an MG42.

Cpl Ellis and 6 Pl, on the far flank, were able to push forward as a platoon into the copse of woods where the mortar section had been previously. They were ready for any outflanking from the north side of the hill.

Cpl Maas encouraged the MG42 squad to continue firing at the exposed Canadian crew commander, but again no rounds struck true. The tanks fired back again, closer this time, but the foxholes were doing what they were supposed to do.

Cpl Ellis and the soldiers from 6 Pl heard the rumbling of a massive vehicle, and it was getting louder. Like a charge from some beast from fantasy fiction, they witnessed the trees to their front begin to topple towards them. The men gripped their weapons tight and glanced nervously at each other. Suddenly from out of the woods, lumbered a German metal monster...

"What the f#ck is that, Corporal?!?"

Cpl Ellis knew what is was by the size of the gun. It was a Brummbar - the Grizzly Bear - and it mounted a 150mm gun. It was an infantry killer, and it was only 80 meters away. Ellis saw the crew commander's head sticking out of the hatch. The tank leader was slightly distracted at the moment as broken trees were falling around his head; the self-propelled gun was snapping the trees like match sticks. Ellis knew he had one chance at the distracted commander. "6 Pl! Target crew commander! Fire!"

The firepower of the entire platoon erupted all at once. The flashes of bullets deflecting off the armour of the SPG were frequent, but one round found the arm of the crew commander. Immediately the SPG came to a halt at the edge of the woods and the hatch slammed shut. In a surreal moment the AFV had been temporarily halted, engine idling, smoke rising from around it. But this moment wouldn't last. Cpl Ellis knew what he had to do, and do it fast...

Leutnant Kruger heard the SPG come to a halt somewhere to his left, followed by the panicked voice of the crew commander requesting infantry support. Kruger acknowledged the request and immediately sent the ATR squad and scouts off to the left at the run. "What the hell were they doing out on the flank by themselves in the first place?" he thought. Meanwhile, Kruger and his men crawled towards the orchard where another one of his squads was taking cover. Kruger cursed the mortars on the hill - they were a constant pain in his neck. More bombs exploded around him, and his best squad had decided that this was insane and so they fled back into the woods behind him.

With a loud roar and the emission of smoky blue exhaust fumes, Chapman saw the Panther turn and move north down the road, then turned a hard right, the tank commander buttoning up. It was now coming directly for him and his men. It suddenly rumbled off the road and into the field, coming to a stop about 250 meters below him between an orchard and some woods. The MGs immediately spat their deadly fire towards him. The rounds impacted all around the crest of hill 517 and his men hugged the ground as much as possible. Then came the loud boom as the main gun fired a 75mm shell which sailed, thankfully, over their heads. This had suddenly become an untenable position for Chapman and the A Coy firebase. He contacted Maj Liddell, briefed him quickly on the situation, and requested immediate redeployment away from the crest. "Do it!" said the company commander.

Kruger got the attention of his squad commander with the MG34. He waved aggressively, pointing to the woods and then the stone church. The squad commander acknowledged by hand signal and he got the squad to their feet. Grabbing the MG34, the squad rushed forward through the trees. They could see the church immediately ahead of them. It would afford excellent protection.

Capt Dillon saw the Germans running through the woods. "2 Pl! 11 o'clock, 200 meters! Infantry in woods! Fire!" 2 Pl engaged the running Germans and one by one they were shot down at the edge of the woods, the MG34 laying alone and unpossessed. The Germans had almost made it to the cover of the church. Almost.

Kruger dropped his head as his men were cut down. Was Italy worth this much blood?

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Now you just have to hope the Stun on the Brummbar proves fatal.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sorry I am rooting for the Brummbar and the Panther lol, make those Cannucks earn their medals :p and :-D

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 7 (CDN)

The main gun of the little Honey tank fired once more at the foxholes, scoring a close hit, but through the scope Canning could see it only stiffened the German resolve. (Incredibly this was a 2MC, and BOTH Maas and the squad each rolled a "2" to battle harden - the squad is now fanatical. And my sniper was asleep for both). Cpl Maas was exhilarated by the near miss and so was his squad. That is when he stood up defiantly and yelled at the Canadian tanks. Just at that moment, the shell from Sgt Musgrave's tank exploded, fear suddenly replacing the rush of combat, and Maas hugged the ground while his soldiers continued to fight hard.

Maj Liddell still couldn't see the MG42, but the Honey tanks were giving it to them with MGs and their small HE shells. The time was now or never, for developments were happening on this battlefield elsewhere and he needed to be done with these determined Panzer Grenadiers. Liddell ordered 2 section to creep forward and engage the MG crew who were about 50 meters away on the other side of the trees. The section moved forward silently through the woods, but when they got close enough they heard the yell of a German who had spotted them, and then the MG42 was spun around, spitting it's deadly fire at 2 section. The Canadians managed to find cover as the bursts erupted over their heads.

"Move now! Follow me!" Liddell yelled at 3 section. The MG42 was now distracted, so Liddell ran with his soldiers around the woods, across the open field, and into the woods on the other side of the MG42. The MG was still engaging 2 section, but the other German squad members switched to the new threat at their rear and engaged them with small arms fire. Liddell and his men ducked and weaved. One of his men threw a grenade which exploded, killing Cpl Maas where he lay. 2 and 3 sections screamed like banshees and then charged into the area where the fanatical Germans were. Blows were exchanged - rifle butts, helmets, spades, but no one was gaining an advantage over the other...yet.

Capt Chapman watched 2 Pl back off the top of the hill and move down to a reverse slope position in some woods. There was no sense being a target for that Panther. Chapman ordered the firebase to do the same but he didn't accompany them. Telling them to hold out until he returned, Chapman sped down the hill towards the north, for he knew 6 Pl needed help in dealing with that Brummbar.

Cpl Ellis knew that this was their moment. He ordered 1 section to be the decoy, knowing that the Brummbar would be lucky to pivot and get a shot off at the running Canadians. 1 section, undoubtedly ready to do anything else but charge this metal giant, followed their section commander as they ran from the woods, across the open ground and outside the firing arc of the SPG. Suddenly the Brummbar pivoted towards them, but the trees hindered their aim and the large 150mm shell whooshed by and exploded back from whence the section came. Sweating bullets, 1 section manoeuvred to the right and threw themselves down. Cpl Ellis ordered a charge, knowing it would take a long time for the crew to load another 150mm shell. 2 and 3 sections ran forward next to the SPG, while Ellis remained with 2 section. Out of the corner of his eye, Ellis saw Capt Chapman running downhill and he took up a position with 3 section. "Charge!" Both Chapman and Ellis jumped up and moved adjacent to the Brummbar. Only 2 section joined them, the other two sections were reluctant to move so close to the SPG. Grenades were shoved between the tank treads and the wheels, and at a signal, all pins were removed. The Canadians took cover as the multiple grenades exploded. Fortunately, one of the SPG treads was blown off, rendering it immobilized. 2 section remained with the Brummbar, intent on destroying it, while both leaders returned to the other men.

TURN 7 (GER)

The crew of the Brummbar were in a bad predicament. They had lost mobility, their commander was wounded, and there were Canadian infantry swarming them with no signs of friendly infantry anywhere. Leaving the SPG now would be suicide. Only one option remained: fire the gun at the ground to their immediate front and hope that shrapnel or concussion would eliminate the enemy. The second loud "Boom" reverberated through the interior of the Brummbar followed immediately by the large explosion at close range. Unbeknownst to the crew, the Canadians were at the rear and sides of the SPG, using it for cover and staying away from it's dangerous muzzle.

The German ATR squad, accompanied by the scouts, ran into the woods to help out their armoured friends. They were immediately engaged by Canadians to their right, but they ignored the fire from that direction and instead fired upon the Canadians grouped around the Brummbar. Keeping their heads down, the Germans ran at the Canadians surrounding the SPG. Close combat ensued, and with a close range MP40 burst, half the Canadians were slain. But the hand to hand fight carried on mercilessly.

The Panther's targets had dispersed away to the rear of the hill and so it was now time to claim Hill 517 in an attempt to push the Canadians back across the river. The tank revved it's engines and moved forward, up the steep incline towards the peak of the hill. After some time in finally crested the hill, but there were no enemies in sight.

Lt Kruger saw the Panther begin to climb the hill. He knew that a tank by itself wouldn't stand a chance with swarming dismounted infantry (unless of course you are Hollywood and produce a movie called "Fury" with an extremely dumb ending lol), so he ordered his platoon to run up the hill. In the dry Italian heat, his men sweated and breathed heavily but they caught up to the tank. Kruger saw some brush just ahead, and his soldiers moved to that cover, not knowing what lay ahead on the other side.

On the far flank, Maj Liddell continued the close combat with his men. The Germans were outnumbered and their leader lay dead - they fought hard but one by one they were killed, the MG42 laying on it's side in a foxhole. The German position was captured, and now Liddell radioed to higher that the far bank was cleared of enemy, minus the ongoing counterattack of course...

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 8 (CDN)

Capt Chapman and Cpl Ellis witnessed the demise of the five Canadians, and both leaders came to the same conclusion. Without help, the remainder of that section would be slain, and slain soon. Ellis' section poured fire towards the melee, knowing full well they may inflict friendly casualties. Fortunately, no Canadians were hurt, but five Germans attacking them were riddled with bullets. Immediately thereafter, Chapman's section completed the encirclement with accurate fire, causing the remaining ten Germans to break as they tried to hide behind the immobile Brummbar. At the same time, the Canadians became berserk, yelling and screaming and cursing at the top of their lungs. They sought vengeance for their missing friends. This was the decisive moment. The entirety of 6 Pl, with the exception of Cpl Ellis, charged the Brummbar's location. The Germans attempted to escape from the impending close combat, but as they ran they were all cut down mercilessly by the berserk Canadians, dropping their ATR. With the infantry out of the way, Chapman directed grenades to be deployed, at the same time, down the 150mm barrel and the exhaust pipes of the Brummbar. On a count of three the pins on the grenades were removed, the grenades were placed, and the men dashed to hide from what was coming. After 4-5 seconds the grenades exploded. There must have been a 150mm shell in the breach as the Brummbar exploded in fire and bounced on its treads and bogie wheels. The crew was engulfed in flame and they died immediately. Chapman didn't need to, but he warned everyone about subsequent explosions and to remain in cover. The wreck was burning, smoke reaching into the sky...

Capt Dillon had noticed the Germans sneaking into the brush to his front. He had both sections open up on them, causing the leader to flee and pinning the squad to the ground. A Coy's MMG decided to engage as well from point blank range, but the burst failed to find the enemy. Dillon's PIAT team moved forward, anticipating the Panther to show itself soon. At the same time, Dillon ordered his two sections to move back slightly in cover.

Maj Liddell heard the massive explosion and saw the dark coloured smoke rising into the sky. "Scratch one AFV," he muttered under his breath. He deployed one section just forward of the foxholes, and had the other one grab the MG42. Liddell took the MG section to the edge of the woods where they had great observation across the valley to the church. The German counterattack was coming in full force, and e could detect movement far to his front. It was time to hunker down.

Kruger's men watched him run away in fear. They were almost at that point as well, having discovered a bee's nest of Canadians on the reverse slope. They fired wildly towards the Canadian MMG, causing the mortar crew with them to drop their mortar and run downhill through the woods.

A and B Coys' right flank had been secured, but the centre and left flank were beginning to heat up. Time was running out for the Germans, and they would have to take more chances than the normally would if they were going to successfully push the Canadians back across the river...

TURN 8 (GER)

Capt Bowman was surprised to see one of the mortar teams run through the woods and into his location. "Hey! What's going on? Get a grip, men!" The mortar team tried to catch their breath as they related events to Bowman. The Panther was just out of sight and it was accompanied by infantry - a deadly combination. Bowman had managed to calm them down however, and they were feeling badly about dropping their mortar up the hill.

Kruger's forward section crawled down the hill and into the location where the enemy MMG had just vacated. They noticed the Canadian mortar but didn't have time to grab it as the Canadian MMG continued to assail them, this time causing them to flee uphill and back towards the rear area where Kruger had fled previously. The Panther crested the hill, accompanied by the remainder of Kruger's platoon, when the crew noticed Canadians immediately to their front in some trees. The tank halted in place and trained it's gun on them...

Dillon knew that a direct hit on the front armour of a Panther with a PIAT bomb would be close to useless, so he had the PIAT team wait impatiently. They hid behind trees as they noticed the tank stop and traverse its turret towards them....

The Panther fired it's complement of MGs at the hidden Canadians below, following closely with the main gun. The 75mm shell impacted high in a tree, missing the target, and the MGs failed to find their mark as well. The scouts with the Panther fired as well, causing the Canadians to duck their heads. The scouts then charged forward downhill, jumping in amongst the Canadians. But the Canadians were ready for such a ploy, and they surprised the scouts, who were all mowed down with small arms fire as they entered the woods.

Maj Liddell had the MG42 set up with an impressive line of observation that covered the open ground to the centre. Just as they completed setting up, an entire German platoon was seen moving in the centre. They deployed a smoke grenade and then moved through it. Liddell waited for the smoke to dissipate and then ordered the men to fire the MG42. It spat out an entire belt of ammo, but the long range affected accuracy, and the Canadians missed their target. Additionally, being eager and excited, they burned through the entire allotment of ammo that had been captured for it. The MG42 was now useless to them (break down). Liddell was now worried as he noticed more and more Germans getting closer to his position. He had to hold on to the foxhole defensive position.

On the far Canadian right flank, the flames from the wreck spread to the woods around it. Chapman and the other Canadians would have to move soon or they too would suffer the fate of the German tank crew...

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
Is this action in Sicily in July of 43? If so then there should be no PSKs as they are avilable until Sept. I just thought of this because you don't normally ATRs and PSKs in the same scenario.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Is this action in Sicily in July of 43? If so then there should be no PSKs as they are avilable until Sept. I just thought of this because you don't normally ATRs and PSKs in the same scenario.
You will note that we are now in Italy in October :)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Your mean, that poor Brumbar...I am still rooting fort he Panther, it should get a point blank CH right about now in hex L1!