Mission #3 - A Coy/RCR Campaign, Sicily to Ortona, Italy, 1943

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 8-10

The last smoke mortar bomb possessed by A Coy was fired into the olive grove on the hill. This was Cpl Chapman's cue. He and his two rifle sections ran into the smoke, expecting to hear retaliatory fire...but there was none. "Corporal! The enemy has apparently fled. There is no one here!" Chapman was surprised and he radioed in to the company commander that the second hill objective was taken and secure. "Sit tight Chappy," said Capt Liddell, "I don't want any excess movement on the hill as there are suspected enemy positions on the far side. We have done as much as we are going to do today. I will recommend that the CO send a company with tank support to pass through us. Good job! Brew up some java for the lads."

And that is that. There is no way I was going to attempt the third VPO area. So I was comfortable with controlling 2 out of 3 VPOs as well as earning 2 x VPs for the destroyed inf gun. I rolled the REs for both sides for the last two turns to no effect, and the battle did end on turn 10. The VPs for the VPOs are done randomly at the end. I rolled 4 points for each location.

VPs: Canadians earned 10 (2 for inf gun, 8 for VPO) while the Germans earned 4 (4 for VPO). Canadian victory!

Two Canadian leaders were up for promotion (Liddell and Bowman), but only Bowman's came through. He is now Capt Bowman and an 8-1 leader. Additionally, Cpl Chapman earned two elan points this battle, bringing his overall total to 10, which means he gets promoted to Sergeant (8-0). So now A Coy has 2 x Capt (8-1), 1 x Capt (8-0) and 1 x Sgt (8-0). Furthermore, one 457 in 2 Pl is seasoned to elite status: 458

And so ends Mission #3 on the road to Nissoria. This battle in particular presented some interesting tactical discussions, and I greatly appreciate those who lended their advice and recommendations. The Canadians had their greatest challenge so far in this battle, but they were very fortunate. Also, they were forced to accept letting the enemy control one of the three objectives.

The next mission, the 4th, is the last mission in Sicily. It involves the town of Regalbuto. I hope to be able to get this one up and running in the near future.

Thanks for watching!