Mission #3 - A Coy/RCR Campaign, Sicily to Ortona, Italy, 1943

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Welcome to Mission #3 of my SASL Campaign! Missions #1 and 2 were both successful for the Canadians, as they eliminated the shocked Italians from the Pachino airfield in southern Sicily and then cleared the road of Germans for the attack on Valguernera. This next mission will be against yet another new enemy: the 15th Pz Gdr Div.

This campaign follows the historical path of A Coy, Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR) from its landing at Pachino, Sicily, to the bloody streets of “Little Stalingrad” at Ortona, Italy in 1943.

At this point I would like to again thank and give credit to Ahriman667 who put a lot of effort into the research, design and play-testing of this campaign. It is solely his campaign - I have just “borrowed” it. Thanks Ahriman667!

The overall campaign structure for the Canadians are as follows:

Unit: A Coy/RCR/1 CIB

Composition: [US# 38/26] Leader x3, 4-5-7 x9, 2-4-7, 1-2-7 x3, LMG x4, 51mm MTR x3, PIAT x3

• On OFFENCE add 1-2-7x1, MMGx1 [US# 40/28]
• On DEFENCE add 1-2-7x1, HMGx1 [US# 40/28]

ELR: 4

Command structure:

Capt. R.G. Liddell (A Coy Cmd)

Capt Dillon (A Coy 2IC)

Lt M.C.D. Bowman (Pl Cmd)

** Cpl Chapman

**Note: I am additionally using the “Personal Leader Optional Rules” (I think originally found in basic Squad Leader) and so I have added my own personal 7-0 leader to the fray. He gets promoted by securing more elan points (positive actions) than cowardice points (negative actions)

On a personal note, I used to be an officer with the RCR so this campaign holds high interest for me. Additionally, as a student and teacher of military history, I have also visited Sicily and Ortona, in part to help get a better grasp of what our guys went through. Previously in my career, I actually met Captain Dillon (see above), who at the time was serving as our honorary Colonel of the Regiment, and who would be one of the few original regimental officers to survive the war.

If you wish to read more about the Canadians in Sicily/Italy, I highly recommend Mark Zuehlke’s four books.

I hope you enjoy my continued ramblings!

Mission #3 - Advance to Nissoria

Where: Nissoria, Sicily

When: 24 July, 1943

Mission Type: Cautious Advance (1)

Enemy: Germans; specifically elements of the 15th Panzer Grenadier Division

Historical Narrative:
The 19th of July was spent burying the Regimental dead and resting, before continuing the advance that night; the divisional objective was Nissoria/Agira. Agira, lay 5 kilometres beyond Nissoria and the attack was to begin promptly at 1400 hours on the 24th, preceded by artillery, bombers and ground-attack fighters, with the bombardment lifting 200 metres every two minutes However as the Regiment was laid up in the forming up point (FUP) ready to advance there was no sight of the aircraft support promised. Undaunted, the Royals got up and began their assault. The Regimental plan was for C and D Coys to secure Nissoria (thought to be abandoned by enemy forces) and then A and B Coys would launch through them and seize the high ground in order to support a subsequent attack on Agira.

The Regiment only encountered sporadic mortar and sniper fire on the approach to Nissoria, but encountered much heavier attacks as they came out the other side of the town. A Coy broke from cover and passed through C and D Coys and came under punishing mortar bombardments and devastating machinegun fire as they crossed a small ridge east of Nissoria. Adding to the confusion, the wireless communications to Battalion HQ broke down and it soon became difficult for BHQ and the rifle companies to ascertain who was making what progress.

Setup to follow...

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
SETUP AND CONSIDERATIONS

For this mission, I am going to do something different. I am going to use VASL, thus eliminating the huge "mess" on my dining room table :) Seriously though, VASL is an excellent resource because I do not have all of the boards and counters, for one, and the processing of the battle is quicker. It also reminds you when there is a SAN check and other things. So I would like some feedback from you after this mission is over: traditional (like mission 1 and 2) or VASL?

For the first map, here is an empty board #58 (hills) as required by the campaign instructions:

North is to the left. FBE is west (at the bottom) and EBE is east. Here I have a large hill to my front, with two level 3 peaks. There are scattered woods and orchards, although in this mission I randomly determined that the orchards are olive groves - same as orchards except they are double the cost in MF/MP to move into and they have a TEM of +1. There are also three main gullies and each one forms part of the hill. Wheat is in effect. Very dry, no wind.

The next map shows the Victory Point Objectives (VPO):

I randomly determined that there are three VPOs (a total of 6 VPO hexes). The value of each of the three VPOs are determined randomly at the end of the mission. In order to control a VPO you need to control all the locations of a VPO (in the above map, for example, I will need to control the three Axis VPO locations on the southern peak in order to claim the VPs for that VPO). I don't need to control every VPO to succeed, but I will probably need at least two.

The next map are the suspect locations:

Here is what I have to deal with (and note that several of these suspect locations have two suspect counters). The Germans have a 50% activation chance for each counter, but the suspect counters on the hill will activate on a "4" or less because they get a -1 when in/next to a VPO hex (and worse, if Germans are henceforth activated there is another -1 for being two hexes from already activated ENEMY, meaning that activation will occur on anything but a "6"). This is some food for thought. I will need a covered approach and I will need to focus on only one VPO at a time or I will be swamped by Germans. So I have automatically ruled out the farthest VPO (centre and east) as the first target, and I may not even try to control it at all, as it is surrounded by a clump suspect counters.

The northern peak (left) has the least amount of S? but there is very little cover. There is a gully that goes up the hill, but it ends in a cliff, and if Germans get activated at the top they will observe down the gully, ie no cover at all. The southern peak has the most S? of the two peaks but it has the best cover for an approach: there are a couple of woods hexes and the gully is just off to the side of the VPO, providing an "invisible" approach up the hill. Additionally, the top of this hill is wider, so it is easier to remain out of LOS of S? on the other side of the hill to the east.

I have decided to throw the full weight of A Coy at the southern (right) peak, secure it, then take out the other peak with a firebase on top of the hill. I would rather not trigger another mapboard (by being less than or equal to 5 hexes from the EBE) so I may be wise and leave that one alone.

Hopefully I will get turn 1 in tomorrow evening!

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I am just going to give you my feedback right now up front.

I absolutely LOVE seeing the VASL layout, it makes it so much easier and clear and it’s actually helping me to learn (or relearn) the SASL rules.

Just seeing the empty board, the VPO board and the S? board has helped my learning 75% and has me really stoked on seeing AAR to completion.

Please continue with VASL as the AAR.

Also would you consider loading up each full game turn VASL save file?

I am still reading chapter S and I have questions...

Thanks in advance.

Don

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. The VASL "view" works much better for seeing the big picture.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For me, VASL is easier to follow but go with what works best for you.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
CANADIAN SETUP

See the map below with expanded stacks so you can see what is in each stack (another bonus for VASL). Yup, it's congested, but soon A Coy will begin to spread out. Also note the information for this mission on the right hand side.

A Coy will conduct a right flanking. 1Lt Bowman (3 Pl) will command the firebase which includes all three mortars and the MMG. Capt Dillon/Cpl Chapman (2 Pl) are in the centre, and they will climb the hill using the woods as cover. Capt Liddell (elite 1 Pl) will navigate the gully and using smoke grenades (hopefully) will ascend the crest of the hill and flank the enemy at the peak.

House Rules

In addition to my random terrain overlay rules, I have also instituted three "house" rules of mine:

1. On turn #1, the FRIENDLY side is 100% in command. As we say, a good plan survives until contact with the enemy. Everyone begins with their immediate orders and launch into the fray in a coordinated manner.

2. HS will not automatically draw enemy fire. So, either recently activated suspect counters or ENEMY forces already onboard will NOT robotically engage HS. This permits the ENEMY to allow scouts to go on by and wait until something juicier arrives. So I always roll a dr: 1-3 the ENEMY engages the HS; 4-6 they ignore the HS

3. I allow one special godlike re-roll per game, either for the FRIENDLY or ENEMY side. Only one! Use it wisely.

Do any of you use any house rules? Would you care to share?

Attachments

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I like #1...and #2 has always been on my mind to employ. Good to know you're thinking along the same lines. However, for #2, I was thinking that a HS would NEVER activate a S? unless it tried to "bump"...but having a dr seems appropriate (but again, I'd lower the odds a little more.)

Good post!

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
I like #1...and #2 has always been on my mind to employ. Good to know you're thinking along the same lines. However, for #2, I was thinking that a HS would NEVER activate a S? unless it tried to "bump"...but having a dr seems appropriate (but again, I'd lower the odds a little more.)

Good post!
Good point, you could always make the HS "lure" dr for the ENEMY to engage only on a 1-2 instead of 1-3. I make it 1-3 because troops can be jittery, and also because sometimes it is better to take out the recce party before they get too much recce :)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the tips and link Tommyl

Excellent setup and VASL screen shots ChappyNS!

Really helps and adds to the narrative!

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 1a (CDN)

"Bowman, you got the firebase. All of the mortars and the MMG will be attached to 3 Pl. But remember: once your firebase becomes obsolete from lack of targets, I need you to flank on the left." 1Lt Bowman nodded while the company commander continued, "Capt Dillon...you and Chappy with 2 Pl are going to approach the peak in the centre. You have some woods for cover. This is not a sprint. Pick your routes carefully and suppress the enemy where you can." "I understand, boss," said Dillon. Liddell continued, "And finally 1 Pl will use the gully on the right to approach the peak from the flank. The Germans won't know we are there until we crest. But the top of the hill is largely bare, so smoke grenades will be paramount in importance." The Orders Group ended and preparations began for the next phase of this advance.

30 minutes later was H-Hour. Right on time, Bowman moved his platoon slowly and carefully into three small copse of woods at the base of the hill. The MMG was readied and the mortars were set up. The men looked upwards, but could discern no enemy at all.

Capt Liddell received the signal that 3 Pl was ready and in place. "Scouts out!" A Coy had a new group of scouts to replace those that had been lost in the last battle, although they had less experience. The new faces looked worried, but they nodded their compliance and began to head uphill. They had just finished passing through an olive grove when they heard faint German voices coming from up the slope. There was little doubt they had been seen. Without waiting for enemy fire, the scouts rushed uphill behind some woods, and then continued up to the halfway point of the hill. It was then that rounds began impacting around them...

Gefreiter Kessel was having a late breakfast consisting of ersatz coffee and a piece of old bread the platoon had discovered in the village. He and twenty men of his platoon were relaxing at the top of this rocky hill (hex L3) in Sicily, far away from home. But it was a nice day, and the view gained by this elevation was a pleasing distraction to the cold reality of war. Higher HQ had informed them that they were now facing the Canadians - he had never met a Canadian before, and talk about being far from home! "Gefreiter! Enemy approaching from the left!" Kessel snapped the binoculars to his eyes and saw a small group of the enemy coming uphill towards them. He quickly scanned the remainder of the hill to his front, but they seemed to be alone. Perhaps a reconnaissance patrol? "1 Platoon, left front, 120 meters, fire!" His men were embarrassingly much more experienced than he was, but it wouldn't stop him from being the leader. Through his binoculars he noticed the Canadians reel from the accurate fire and retreat downhill. "Let that be a lesson!"

Dillon heard the gunfire, and then noticed the scouts running downhill as fast as they could. Dillon crouched, his men following his action, and they moved slowly uphill and into a copse of woods. The enemy was near...

Although Liddell heard the gunfire, he had no immediate way of knowing what was going on. The gully was excellent cover, and 1 Pl was sweating profusely as they moved uphill under the hot Italian sun...

Bowman now saw the group of Germans near the top of the hill. He ordered as many of his men to engage them as he could...

Kessel saw one or two of his men get hit from very accurate fire from the base of the hill. Where had they come from? The fire was so accurate that his men became panicked, and they fled towards the woods at the top of the hill. Kessel cursed and decided to follow them. The company commander will be pissed...

TURN 1b (GER)

Gefreiter Kessel and his men ran to the woods and collapsed among the trees, breathing heavily and keeping their heads down. Kessel got a grip on himself and managed to get half of his men to focus on digging some foxholes. But it was slow going, and the rocky soil was resistant to their spades. Perhaps they should have dug these yesterday, but it was really hot yesterday. His men looked up at him in failure - they just couldn't get anything close to being called a hole, dug into this hard soil. "Keep digging!"

Dillon had not heard or seen Liddell and his men. But he did watch the enemy flee from the crest of the hill when Bowman's soldiers chased them with bullets. It was time to move and take advantage of this respite...

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
I am just going to give you my feedback right now up front.

I absolutely LOVE seeing the VASL layout, it makes it so much easier and clear and it’s actually helping me to learn (or relearn) the SASL rules.

Just seeing the empty board, the VPO board and the S? board has helped my learning 75% and has me really stoked on seeing AAR to completion.

Please continue with VASL as the AAR.

Also would you consider loading up each full game turn VASL save file?

I am still reading chapter S and I have questions...

Thanks in advance.

Don

Hey Don if you have any questions, I will try and answer. I am not an expert but I have played a half dozen games in the last few months and have read the SASL rules in their entirety a few times

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The really intriguing thing about SASL is the random events. They really keeps a mission interesting. I remember having a great attack totally shut down with two back to back ENEMY RE's of Arty strikes. I was lucky to get out of that one with enough of my company to generate a follow-up mission.

BTW I too had instituted a house rule to ameliorate the Recon Blitz Activation by instituting a subsequent dr for activation. Also, once ENEMY units have been activated I implemented a range to target modifier for firing purposes. That is to say rather than automatically have the units fire at the ranges and DR mods given on the nationality charts, simply substitute " A) At double range with a DRM <= -2; B) At 1.5 (FRD) range with a DRM of <=-1; etc. and only if an IFT column result with an original DR of 7 would generate a PTC with the Final DR result. At least this helps get rid of conscripts firing at everything with little or no possible effect. A bit more dice rolling and mental gymnastics but I find it works well enough.

Last edited:

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
The really intriguing thing about SASL is the random events. They really keeps a mission interesting. I remember having a great attack totally shut down with two back to back ENEMY RE's of Arty strikes. I was lucky to get out of that one with enough of my company to generate a follow-up mission.

BTW I too had instituted a house rule to ameliorate the Recon Blitz Activation by instituting a subsequent dr for activation. Also, once ENEMY units have been activated I implemented a range to target modifier for firing purposes. That is to say rather than automatically have the units fire at the ranges and DR mods given on the nationality charts, simply substitute " A) At double range with a DRM <= -2; B) At 1.5 (FRD) range with a DRM of <=-1; etc. and only if an IFT column result with an original DR of 7 would generate a PTC. At least this helps get rid of conscripts firing at everything with little or no possible effect. A bit more dice rolling and mental gymnastics but I find it works well enough.
Yes Random Events can be downright crazy. I keep the company PIATs in good order, ready for some random German armour to show up at any time.

I like your range to target modifier rule...I think I will adopt that!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[EDIT] "...IFT column result with an original DR of 7 would generate a PTC." That part sounded a little screwy from what I meant. After looking at the post I should have said the Final DR will generate a PTC with an original DR of 7.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
TURN 2a (CDN)

This turn started off with Canadian RE #24: the ENEMY now suffers Ammo shortage (A19.131) for the remainder of the mission, so their weapons will malfunction easier and there is ELR reduction for rolling a "12" when using inherent FP.

"Move! Move! Move!" It was evident that the last of the Germans were driven off the crest of this southernmost peak, and every leader had been briefed about taking advantage of this situation if it occurred. 1Lt Bowman ordered the A Coy firebase to pack up, and 3 Pl rushed forward, ascending the hill and veering left. (if he had not been promoted last mission his platoon would not have moved this turn!) Their navigational reference point was the olive grove at the top of the hill.

Capt Dillon moved 2 Pl from the woods, through the brush, and positioned themselves right below the objective. It was time to disperse the platoon and move onto the crest of the hill. How many enemy would be waiting?

Capt Liddell noted that the scouts had settled themselves down, and they stormed past him back up the hill. Meanwhile, he led 1 Pl, the elite of A Coy, up the difficult gully. After 80 meters or so, the gully ended, and the platoon took up positions at the lip of the gully. They could now observe 2 Pl and elements of 3 Pl on the hill. Everyone was moving uphill, a sea of khaki uniforms and round helmets. Soon they would emulate their First World War fathers by going "over the top". They were hot, sweaty, and nervous.

TURN 2b (GER)

Gefreiter Kessel managed to rally the other half of platoon who had broken and run. He immediately ordered them to join their comrades in digging foxholes. The perseverance of the original squad gave them some success - they weren't quite the holes you could dig in Mother Russia, but at least they could afford his troops some protection. Kessel was certain the Canadians would be on their way uphill right now. He and his fellow Germans were well prepared to take them on once they crested the hill proper, when all of their firepower could be brought to bear.

TACTICAL GAME MECHANICS

Assuming the Canadians have 100% command next turn, I will have two main options. Please note that in addition to the 2 x 4-6-8s that have already been activated, there are 5 x S? counters, each of which will activate on anything but a "6" (two hexes have two counters). So there should be lots of Germans.

Option #1 - Assault move one of my concealed sections into the olive grove (P3) to activate all of the S? who will fire half FP and +1 TEM. Then using smoke grenades, assault move the entire company onto level 3...I will have a long string of Canadians from P3 to J4
Advantages: the Canadians that don't break will be able to fire in the AFPh and some will be able to advance and CC the Germans in M4 and L4. The Germans will probably not be able to engage all of the Canadians in one fire phase.
Disadvantages: I need a dr 1-2 for smoke grenades, and because I will be throwing them uphill, a subsequent dr 1-3 will be required for success. Yikes. Additionally, the MMG and mortars are unable to fire in the AFPh. The Germans will also be able to fire SFF, mostly with a -1 for FFMO (assuming precious few smoke grenades). The Germans will not panic when they are first activated, and they will fire in DFPh.

Option #2 - Move the entire company onto the hilltop in the advance phase and activate the Germans
Advantages: No reliance on smoke grenades that may not be there. No FFMO. MMG/mortars will be able to fire in next fire phase (DFPh). Some Germans may panic and be unable to fire in the PFPh. Other than maintaining ROF, enemy will only have one shot in PFPh (ie no first fire, then SFF, then FPF)
Disadvantages: No rapid closure with the enemy and therefore no immediate close combat. Enemy fire will be full FP in PFPh and not reduced by half as in SFF/FPF.

I think I know what option I will pick.... but what would you do and why?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
My suggestion commander is Option #1. Movement (i.e. assault movement is always a good thing).

Some other options just looking at the map.

I would assault move someone in L2 and see what is in those suspect hexes, then depending on the results of that, I'd assault move from M2. Again depending on all that, I'd next move/assault from O3 and lastly I4.

The idea being trying to draw any fire from L4 and M4 and possibly from M5 before moving O3 and I4 (no SFF).

Good luck...