Mission 21 Beach Defense

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
We're playing this mission and I'm having a hard time setting up the beach overlays. We're using VASL.

It's configuration B.
The top board is 11 with the "11" to the right (East)
The bottom board is 37 with the "37" to the right (East)

So far so good.

Now to add in the beach overlays. According to 13.81.....

"13.81 BOARDS/OVERLAYS: Beach and OCEAN overlays are used when a Seaborne Assault (Gl4.) is being conducted by either side. If the FRIENDLY (ENEMY) side is conducting the Seaborne Assault the Beach and OCEAN overlays are placed on the FBE (EBE) side of the boards. The Beach overlay placement is dependent on the board configuration, For a North-South orientation (typically Configuration A), Beach overlays are placed as follows: Be4 with hexes 471-478 on FFO-GGI (or B10-AlO), Be5 with 571-578 on 406-413, and Be6 with 601-607 on 506-Kl (or WlO). For an East-West orientation (typically Configuration 8), Beach overlays are placed as follows: Bel, Be2 and/or Be3 with hexes 101-102, 201-202 and/or 301-302 on GG1-GG2 (Al0-A9) as needed to completely cover the first hexrow of the FBE (or EBE as appropriate) with beach overlays. See Gl3.82 for beach width and OCEAN overlay placement. Effluent overlays may be used to connect streams to the OCEAN."

Now the ENEMY is doing the Seaborne Assault so I'm using the coordinates in (). East-West orientation (in blue) states Be1/Be2/Be3 should be used with the hexes 101-102/201-202/301-302 on A10-A9. This does change that entire hex row to beach - but that's the only beach hex row on the map.

Am I suppose to add boards on to the eastern edge so that I can setup the beach and the ocean?

Or because the boards are flipped should I also flip the overlay and change the location of the board coordinates (A10-A9) of 101-102/201-202/301-302?

Or am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Use the draggable overlays in the OVERLAY tab (may have to use an additional board or NUL board to give you expansion needed for the overlay placement. It's much easier than trying to figure out overlay placement for beach & oceans on the board set up screen.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Use the draggable overlays in the OVERLAY tab (may have to use an additional board or NUL board to give you expansion needed for the overlay placement. It's much easier than trying to figure out overlay placement for beach & oceans on the board set up screen.

I agree. But it's where the rules state to place the beach overlay that is making me wonder what I'm doing wrong. Following what it says, only row A will be beach and then it's off the board - no ocean or 3 hex wide moderate slopped beach. Unless I add another (null) board on that edge and use that for the rest of the beach and ocean but that doesn't seem right and I think it would say that in the rules. Or I missing something.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is how I see it:

ovrBeach1 is off the east edge of bd11 and ovrBeach2 is off the east edge of bd 37. X01/X02 overly A10/A9 on each board. Note that the beach overlays have opaque and nudge options that help in placement without an underlying board. Remember that Alt+click reselects a placed overlay. When selected, right click on it to see its' context menu.

Does this help you out?

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
This is how I see it:

View attachment 16886

ovrBeach1 is off the east edge of bd11 and ovrBeach2 is off the east edge of bd 37. X01/X02 overly A10/A9 on each board. Note that the beach overlays have opaque and nudge options that help in placement without an underlying board. Remember that Alt+click reselects a placed overlay. When selected, right click on it to see its' context menu.

Does this help you out?

Yes.

That is what I was getting but I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. I was thinking the beach and ocean had to be all on the boards ( 11 and 37 ).

So I guess that means I have to use 2 null boards on that edge. That would be the only way to have the beach and the ocean.

Thanks very much.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Yes.

That is what I was getting but I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. I was thinking the beach and ocean had to be all on the boards ( 11 and 37 ).

So I guess that means I have to use 2 null boards on that edge. That would be the only way to have the beach and the ocean.

Thanks very much.

After all that, on the German ( Friendly ) first turn, rolled an RE. Rolled box cars with +1 to the colored die, 76. Evacuate! o_O🤣