Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mission #1 – Tkachy, Poland. September 17, 1939

Mission Parameters

Type
: Patrol (8)
Mapboard Selection: A8*
* The specific {A8} table used for all boards is determined by random dr.
Weather: Clear, EC are Very Dry (+2) with a Mild Breeze to the Northwest (at start).
FRIENDLY: 3 Co/1 Bn/310 Rgt/8 RD (ELR 2). FBE East (bottom).
ENEMY: Polish (ELR 3). EBE West (top).

Miscellaneous:

1. ENEMY Boobytrap Level is NA
  2. Polish Border Protection Corps (due to the forces left to guard eastern Poland being recently constituted from both the army and police forces, there will be a +1 to all rolls on Tables {I2} and {I3}).
  3. Command Structure:
    • Company Commander, Captain Romanov
    • 2nd in Command, Lieutenant Petrov
    • Corporal Torrance (Personal Leader Note: I am using ‘Personal Leader Optional Rules’ and have added my own personal 7-0 leader to the OOB).
Map Generation and Mission Objective(s)
Two mapboards are randomly rolled for at start (no other boards will be activated) and placed so that a single Road Network exists from the FBE to the EBE. Mapboards 41 (village) and 13 (rural) are generated and the Road Network confirmed.

3rd Company will patrol westward through the village of Tkachy, engaging and destroying any Polish forces encountered. Order of March will be 1st Plt (with one LMG and MMG), followed by 2nd Plt (with one MMG) and 3rd Plt bringing up the rear (with the 50mm MTR). Lt Petrov will lead the advance with Cpt Romanov in the formation middle. Cpl Torrance will move with the MTR to organize a base of fire once contact is made.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mission Pre-Start

Shortly after 3rd Company passes through the village of Tkachy, contact is made with Polish border defense forces. The Poles are approaching from the west over an elevated roadway. 1st Squad of 1st Platoon engages at long range but to no effect. Cpt Romanov immediately orders the company column to disband and seek cover. The fight is on!

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 1 [Polish]

In the Polish phase of Turn 1, multiple ENEMY S? activate along the Russian left flank as they advance down off the elevated road. They comprise at least 6 squads (although mostly Green), 2 leaders and a single TKS. Although the ‘tankette’ is only armed with a BMG, the Russians have no dedicated anti-armor weapons. They’ll have to rely on the limited support weapons and close combat to eliminate it.

On the far left flank, Polish infantry begins crossing the road into covered terrain so they can flank the Russian column. Lt Petrov, who is leading 1st Platoon, panics while trying to direct fire on them and while he is still out in the open road with 2 squads, a Polish sniper opens up, forcing them all to take cover. Luckily, 1st squad of 1st Platoon is able to kill several of the group of enemy infantry forcing them through the woods and into a nearby field. Also seeing the enemy cross the road, soldiers from 2nd Platoon, marching with Cpt Romanov, are able to get off a few rounds but the range is too far to be effective. That Russian gunfire does trigger another Polish sniper attack but it causes no damage.

Meanwhile, the enemy TKS hunkers down in a field, partially behind a stone wall, while overwatching the Polish flanking maneuver. For now, most of the company manages to stay concealed from the advancing Polish infantry.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 1 [Russian]

In the Russian phase of Turn 1, Cpt Romanov and Cpl Torrance bring 2nd and 3rd Platoons up and online along the front slope of a low hill just outside of the village. Both an MMG and the 50mm Mortar are brought into position supporting defense. At least one infantry squad is sighted about 240 meters in front of their position.

Polish infantry continues to deploy east of the elevated road with their defense anchored on the small TKS.

Lt Petrov continues his indecision on what to do next and it’s now affecting those of 2nd Platoon who are deployed in his vicinity. Sporadic enemy gunfire causes a few casualties and they take cover behind a nearby stone wall, but they still are mostly in the dirt road where they have been since contact was first made.

On the far left Russian flank, a lone rifle squad from 1st Platoon and carrying the LMG, advances into a wooden building to confront the flanking Poles. The Russians are probably outnumbered at least 3-1 over there but are hoping to keep the Polish at bay until Lt Petrov gets his act together.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, luckily for him I didn't roll one when creating the company. I suppose the men could accuse him of cowardice and plot for him to 'disappear' at a convenient time. Maybe when they go up against the Finns later in the campaign? Those woods are thick and the snow will be deep . . :unsure:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Awesome reading while on my travels! Is this a specific CG or something you are designing?

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Yeah, luckily for him I didn't roll one when creating the company. I suppose the men could accuse him of cowardice and plot for him to 'disappear' at a convenient time. Maybe when they go up against the Finns later in the campaign? Those woods are thick and the snow will be deep . . :unsure:

frag!!!!

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome reading while on my travels! Is this a specific CG or something you are designing?
Something I worked up. I picked out an early war Russian unit (8th Rifle Division) and started digging into their history. Now I'm building this SASL Campaign set during Sep 1939 - July 1941 around what information I can find, which is very little other than general locations. Most of the details will be hypothetical and based on where their sub-units may have been at a given time and what unit(s) they could possibly have been engaging.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Love your work.
Should the ‘road network’ have been the shorter route to the north (over on the right of the map)?

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
The Mission sheet only says "Determine Road Network entry hex by Random dr (if >1 exists on that board edge)."
I have to agree with Double Deuce on this one. He is playing the "Patrol" mission, the same one as I am playing now, and MSR #1 takes precedence

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 2 [Polish]

In the Polish phase of Turn 2, ENEMY S? continue to advance but about half fail to activate (thankfully).

On the Russian left and behind the Polish frontline, a 100mm artillery barrage impacts, breaking several squads and ‘shocking’ the TKS. Turns out it was Polish artillery which they were able to call off after the initial barrage. Closer in on the Russian left flank, a Polish leader rallies some men and they charge the Russian squad. While firing at the advancing enemy, the LMG jams allowing the Poles entry into the building. Close combat is joined and both sides were eliminated.

In the center, another Polish tank (FT-17M(f)) appears and slowly works it’s way through the woods, stopping about 80 meters out. Effective defensive fire supported by the 50mm mortar and MMG keeps the Poles from advancing on the Russians defending on the low ridge. Lt Petrov needs to get his act together and move the rest of 1st Platoon over to block the flanking Poles before this situation gets out of control.

On the far right Russian flank, sporadic sniper fire forces Cpl Torrance and the men with him to keep their heads down but no casualties are taken.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably messing up some rules but it's been a really long time since I played ASL. I also am re-reading rules (and watching videos) when instances come up for things I am unsure of. It's certainly fun though. ?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 2 [Russian]

As hoped, the errant Polish artillery barrage seemed to eliminate part of their flanking force and appears to have allowed me to stabilize a defensive line.

Lt Petrov finally gets back in the game, rallies a squad and leads it over to the left to cover the flank. Fortunately, the Poles on the Russian left are in total disarray from the artillery barrage. They are unable to rally their infantry and the TKS still appears to be out of action.

In the center and right, concentrated fire from 3rd Company drives most of the Polish back into covered positions. Only the Polish FT-17M(f) and a single Green squad are able to hold their ground. Things are starting to look a lot better for Cpt Romanov and his rifle company.

NOTE: I misplayed the Polish sniper attack in the previous turn (moving it, even though there was no effect) and so I placed the unit back into it’s original location.

Last edited: