Missing rules section: "HIP" for dummies

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per a q&a dummies may not use HIP, which makes 5/8" dummies not often useful for Guns. Multiples of three OB-given "?" counters can be kept off board during setup. Three may be placed on board as a 5/8" concealment counter, a 5/8" dummy and a 1/2" dummy in concealment terrain in a Location with no enemy units whenever a HIP Gun in concealment terrain is placed on board concealed and not revealed. The dummies must be placed within three hexes of the Gun that lost HIP.

JR

previous in series

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per a q&a dummies may not use HIP, which makes 5/8" dummies not often useful for Guns. Multiples of three OB-given "?" counters can be kept off board during setup. Three may be placed on board as a 5/8" concealment counter, a 5/8" dummy and a 1/2" dummy in concealment terrain in a Location with no enemy units whenever a HIP Gun in concealment terrain is placed on board concealed and not revealed. The dummies must be placed within three hexes of the Gun that lost HIP.

JR

previous in series
As I read that Q and A, dummy ? counters cannot setup HIP if they are the only counters in that Location. You can still set say, 2 of them HIP along with a real HS HIP, when the enemy moves close, reveal the HS temp to strip concealment, and leave the 3 ? stack with only 1 real HS in it there say, in a pillbox, to make the enemy think its your HMG/9-1 leader as well in there, waiting to lay a juicy FL across that clearing.

+ per Q and A p[reviously, you CAN leave OB given units off board and never set up, and you are NOT required to reveal they were never set up (and therefore eliminated), until their elimination effects the VCs.( so those "at game end" style VCs - you can leave say 2 or 3 OB given ? counters off map and really f$%k up the opponent trying to "counter count" your dummies.)

Besides, nothing says a Gun MUST setup HIP, it only MAY set up HIP. Set up your Gun concealed in ? terrain, set up say, 3 or four dummy Gun locations as well in concealment terrain, all not HIP, only concealed. Let the shell game begin which is the Gun and which is a fake?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As I read that Q and A, dummy ? counters cannot setup HIP if they are the only counters in that Location. You can still set say, 2 of them HIP along with a real HS HIP, when the enemy moves close, reveal the HS temp to strip concealment, and leave the 3 ? stack with only 1 real HS in it there say, in a pillbox, to make the enemy think its your HMG/9-1 leader as well in there, waiting to lay a juicy FL across that clearing.

+ per Q and A p[reviously, you CAN leave OB given units off board and never set up, and you are NOT required to reveal they were never set up (and therefore eliminated), until their elimination effects the VCs.( so those "at game end" style VCs - you can leave say 2 or 3 OB given ? counters off map and really f$%k up the opponent trying to "counter count" your dummies.)

Besides, nothing says a Gun MUST setup HIP, it only MAY set up HIP. Set up your Gun concealed in ? terrain, set up say, 3 or four dummy Gun locations as well in concealment terrain, all not HIP, only concealed. Let the shell game begin which is the Gun and which is a fake?
This is the q&a to which I refer:

q&a said:
A12.11 & A12.3 Can a stack of two “?” counters use HIP as if they were an emplaced gun and a crew?
A. No; Dummies may not set up HIP
Is this the q&a that you think discusses what else is in the hex, and that is conditional based on that in its answer?

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is the q&a to which I refer:

Is this the q&a that you think discusses what else is in the hex, and that is conditional based on that in its answer?

JR
I was referring to this one:

"

q&a said:
A12.11 & A12.3 Can a stack of two “?” counters use HIP as if they were an emplaced gun and a crew?
A. No; Dummies may not set up HIP
JR "

And this as well:

A12.12:
"...and after setting up his regular units may place only scenario OB-designated “?” at first—but only in Terrain listed in red in the Terrain Chart/Desert Terrain Chart/PTO Terrain Chart. ..."

I did not see the one you placed in this thread, however.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I did not see the one you placed in this thread, however.
I did not place one in this thread until your post. Now that I am sure we are both talking about the same q&a, can you explain how you conclude that the statement, "Dummies may not set up HIP" is conditional? What is that condition?

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not place one in this thread until your post. Now that I am sure we are both talking about the same q&a, can you explain how you conclude that the statement, "Dummies may not set up HIP" is conditional? What is that condition?

JR
Simple, the question is quite specific, so the answer to it is therefore specific to the question. The answer to the Q and A applies only to the question parameters. The answer in no way prevents using two 5.8" ? dummy counters and a single 1/2" ? dummy counter to represent a concealed Gun. It only prevents them from setting up HIP.

I do agree with one thing that I think is a mistake on my part above - you cannot HIP a dummy counter per the Q and A.

That said, you can place a dummy ? counter in a location and then HIP real units there as well, the dummy counter that is non-HIP will prevent concealment gain, and if it is a stack of three of them, the stack can commence on the first turn of the game growing and playing the ? shell game to move around and generally prevent enemy ? gain, and absorb snipers. The enemy thinks you moved out so there is nothing else there ,and then WHAM the HIP real gun and crew that were there unload on the unspecting enemy that decides to move past it now, thinking the way safe.