Missing rules section: cattle stampede

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
From Osprey Duel 77, "Bazooka vs Panzer", Steven J. Zaloga

The fifth Panther of the group, Nr. 123, attempted to skirt around the wrecks but was hit repeatedly by bazooka fire, though none of the rockets penetrated. Two soldiers from the command post tried to prevent it from returning back into Rocherath and opened up the gates of a cattle pen, stampeding a group of cows toward the tank. The Panther machine-gunned some of the cows, but decided against moving in that direction.​

previous in series

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Give the Herd a CC (only) value of 1. If they enter an infantry location they use HtH, ambush by the Herd (only) is possible if the Herd has not moved that MPh (no warning of a stampede). If all infantry units that were attacked by the Herd suffer no KIA/K/failed M then the ERL for that side is increased by 1 (to a maximum of 4), "It's steak tonight, boys!".

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are those on this Forum (not me, mind you, I rather think a few of his works have sent me digging elsewhere to confirm some of the material he presents), who would state that quoting Zaloga, in anything historical-based, is much like quoting Dr. Seuss and his nursery rhymes in reference to world war 2 history.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
From Osprey Duel 77, "Bazooka vs Panzer", Steven J. Zaloga

The fifth Panther of the group, Nr. 123, attempted to skirt around the wrecks but was hit repeatedly by bazooka fire, though none of the rockets penetrated. Two soldiers from the command post tried to prevent it from returning back into Rocherath and opened up the gates of a cattle pen, stampeding a group of cows toward the tank. The Panther machine-gunned some of the cows, but decided against moving in that direction.​

previous in series
The Panther failed his CTC (Cow Task Check.)

And the cows failed their NMC (Normal Moo Check.)

arbysth.jpg

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Does Critical Hit not have some cow counters for one of their PTO packs? I don't own it but recall seeing something. Definitely a must have rule addition!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does Critical Hit not have some cow counters for one of their PTO packs? I don't own it but recall seeing something. Definitely a must have rule addition!
They will once Ray reads this- "New 5th Edition 70th Anniversary Pack! New counters and rules for livestock stampedes, along with 997 full color, printed half-map panels and 45 full countersheets, all in a snazzy ziploc bag!" :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you call water buffaloes cows then yes! His one about the Agno trail battle in the Philippines has them. Could also be used for a scenario on the Cabanutuan (SP?) POW camp raid as well.