Missing Counter?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Checked with "Military Small Arms of 20th Century" {Hogg & Weeks, 7th Ed}, a water-cooled .50-caliber M2 weighs [unloaded] 100 pounds.
That puts it on a par with a Type 97 20mm anti-tank rifle for weight.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
They store the waterline near the buckets of prop wash, IIRC.
Lol.🤣🤣🤣😥🙄 I remember a cartoon in a Navy magazine where a young seaman finds the storage locker where the waterline, mail buoys and other such ha ha items are kept.🙄🙄🤣🤣

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Lol. I remember a cartoon in a Navy magazine where a young seaman finds the storage locker where the waterline, mail buoys and other such ha ha items are kept.
I got sent to look for many things way back on a midshipman cruise ('81). Glad to have been valuable comic relief for the crew.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I got sent to look for many things way back on a midshipman cruise ('81). Glad to have been valuable comic relief for the crew.
Hehe. I can remember having been sent to look for some things and later sent others off to find the same in a different context. The extra fun thing was, that we all 'found' something which was extremely tedious to move about in the city. One of these things was a 20" ladder which we had no means to tansport with the cars we had (too long, couldn't fix it on the roof either). It wouldn't fit in a bus or public means of transportation. We didn't want to rent a truck for the damn thing being - needless to say - short of money. So we were running across the city for miles with a damn 20" ladder. Our buddies nearly died of convulsions of laughter when we finally arrived with it. Of course, this was not the end of it. They told us, this was not the [waterline-analogy] we were supposed to bring and we'd better go and return that ladder at once.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Young Fireman Recruits, Fireman Apprentices or Fireman ( Fireman was designation for E 1 through E 3 who worked in the engineering spaces) would be sent to the Boiler Room to get a BT punch ( BT = Boiler Technician). Came back with a sore arm from the BT punch.

Fireman didn't specifically refer to a firefighter. Everyone on board was considered a firefighter, Admiral on down. When your house is on fire in the middle of the ocean it's taken rather seriously. The thought of a fire on the sub was really taken seriously, especially when submerged.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Young Fireman Recruits, Fireman Apprentices or Fireman ( Fireman was designation for E 1 through E 3 who worked in the engineering spaces) would be sent to the Boiler Room to get a BT punch ( BT = Boiler Technician). Came back with a sore arm from the BT punch.

Fireman didn't specifically refer to a firefighter. Everyone on board was considered a firefighter, Admiral on down. When your house is on fire in the middle of the ocean it's taken rather seriously. The thought of a fire on the sub was really taken seriously, especially when submerged.
I got my share of firefighting training, for sure. Flight deck FF, shipboard FF, aircraft FF. I have a fire extinguisher in every room of my house. No AFFF, though.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

On another midshipman cruise, we were on SSN637 for a few days, and we were instructed on a very specific procedure to operate TWO values in the head. It was very important to operate them in a certain order. Nobody wanted to be the first to try it, just in case...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
On another midshipman cruise, we were on SSN637 for a few days, and we were instructed on a very specific procedure to operate TWO values in the head. It was very important to operate them in a certain order. Nobody wanted to be the first to try it, just in case...
Lol! Especially when the head was secured for blowing the sanitary tanks. You could hop over the little chain that " secured " the head, just don't flush the toilet!!😉😉😉🤣🤣🤣🤮🤮🤮🤮

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So s'mores and marshmallows around a camp fire were strictly off-limits?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
So s'mores and marshmallows around a camp fire were strictly off-limits?
Lol they fed us really well but never s'mores 😋. Sticky buns for midrats ( light meal for watch standers going on duty at midnight ) every day.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting back on track a bit, one counter that is inexplicably missing is the Chinese M4 Sherman. Used, and much publicized, in Burma during the operations to open the Ledo-Burma Roads operations in 1944-45. 16594

[EDIT] Just missing from my old eyesight and my kit somehow.:sleep::unsure::whistle:

Last edited: