Missing Counter Series: Flame with printed spread #

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Flames will convert to blaze (spread) on one number only. Instead of having just one flame counter, we could have a whole range of them with their spread# printed on them. That way we don't have to look up the number each time. Of course the number might change due to change in EC (e.g. rain might start, changing EC to Wet), but the one-time event would just result in replacement of the existing flame# counter with a new one. I show a sample with "#8", which might be used for wooden building or woods with moist EC.

As an aside, a way to show the spread numbers for blazes would be even more useful, but regrettably it seems like an impractical idea.

flame with printed spread#.jpg

Note: I am reposting this, as the original thread seems to have gotten lost in the last outage.

JR

previous in series

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like my old SL flame counters better- way more cool watching the house burn ;) Besides, you already got a table in the Tome, and a chart on a divider, what more could you ask for?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I like my old SL flame counters better- way more cool watching the house burn ;) Besides, you already got a table in the Tome, and a chart on a divider, what more could you ask for?
They exist in ASL, to indicate that all the levels of a multi-level building hex are ablaze.
B23.6 ... A multi-level building hex that contains a Blaze on every level is marked with a burning building counter from PARATROOPER rather than placing a Blaze counter on each level of the building hex.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Flames will convert to blaze (spread) on one number only. Instead of having just one flame counter, we could have a whole range of them with their spread# printed on them. That way we don't have to look up the number each time. Of course the number might change due to change in EC (e.g. rain might start, changing EC to Wet), but the one-time event would just result in replacement of the existing flame# counter with a new one. I show a sample with "#8", which might be used for wooden building or woods with moist EC.

As an aside, a way to show the spread numbers for blazes would be even more useful, but regrettably it seems like an impractical idea.

View attachment 6181

Note: I am reposting this, as the original thread seems to have gotten lost in the last outage.

JR

previous in series
It might be workable if the Flame/Blaze counters were 5/8".

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It might be workable if the Flame/Blaze counters were 5/8".
The problem is not so much counter size as the number of possible combinations. I envision a counter that has six numbers and a "-" (not flammable), one for each direction. Even if you rotate the counter and looking at the case where all the spread numbers are the same, you only need one with a number and five "-"s, but for two numbers (terrain spreadable in two directions) you need three, and for three numbers you need some large number, around ten I'm guessing, then add four (I don't know how many possible combinations) plus one for five and one for six. That's with all the spread numbers the same in all directions. With different numbers it would be insane because with the same numbers symmetry gets rid of a lot of combinations that have to be included with different numbers.

JR

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The problem is not so much counter size as the number of possible combinations. I envision a counter that has six numbers and a "-" (not flammable), one for each direction. Even if you rotate the counter and looking at the case where all the spread numbers are the same, you only need one with a number and five "-"s, but for two numbers (terrain spreadable in two directions) you need three, and for three numbers you need some large number, around ten I'm guessing, then add four (I don't know how many possible combinations) plus one for five and one for six. That's with all the spread numbers the same in all directions. With different numbers it would be insane because with the same numbers symmetry gets rid of a lot of combinations that have to be included with different numbers.

JR
Ah, I didn't understand the level of detail you were proposing.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where are the residual FP counters with their IFT column printed on them? My eyes could't tell them from the existing ones, but the young-uns might appreciate them. :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Where are the residual FP counters with their IFT column printed on them? My eyes could't tell them from the existing ones, but the young-uns might appreciate them. :)
Do you mean they should have the original IFT column on them in addition to the residual FP, so a four residual would have an eight printed on it? First, I would find it confusing to have two numbers, so you'd have to be careful with the layout. Second, some residual FP amounts are ambiguous, so a two FP residual might come from either a four FP attack or a six FP attack, and a twelve FP residual might come from a twenty-four, thirty or thirty-six FP attack. Third, the residual amount might be reduced (or increased) by DRM, so a two FP residual might come (on a really bad shot) from a thirty-six FP attack. Are you suggesting a set of all possible combinations?

JR

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

What we REALLY need is an MMP-branded counter printer that takes the role of the "label" function in VASL. If I can 3D print a gun, why can't I print all of jrv's missing counters on an ad-hoc basis?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What we REALLY need is an MMP-branded counter printer that takes the role of the "label" function in VASL. If I can 3D print a gun, why can't I print all of jrv's missing counters on an ad-hoc basis?
Isn't that just a printer? I have printed many custom counters. We use them in playtests.

JR

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Naw, naw, naw, naw, I don't want to futz around with gluing stuff to cardstock; I ain't about that life. I want full counters coming out, although obviously with corners unclipped so I can do that myself.