Mishmash of newbie questions

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi,

I am learning the rules by playing a few solitaire games. So far so good but I would like to confirm a few things. Hopefully someone could comment on the below statements:

Using board 12 for the examples:

1. Hedges are confusing me a bit.

A unit in 12U8 can fire at a unit in 12X7 with a +1 for the hedge because the hedge is part of 12X7 and the hedge does not block fire into the hex with the hedge.

A unit in 12U8 can not fire in to 12Y7 because the hedge blocks the line of sight.

What happens if a unit in 12R8 fires at 12S7? Does the hedge in 12S8 cause an hindrance?

2. DM Status

A broken unit is on the level one of 12U5. An enemy unit moves into level 0 of 12U5. Because the two units are adjacent the broken unit is DM'd. If the broken unit was on level one of V5 this would not happen.

3. Assault Fire Bonus

A German 8-3-8 unit assault fires at an adjacent unit. The 8-3-8 FP is as follows: (8 x 2)=16/2=8 +1 Assault Fire Bonus=9. Is it possible that the FP during the advance fire phase is greater then the normal FP?

During the advance firebase I had a firebase comprised of three hexes and a variety of units. Two hexes were adjacent to the target and one was one two hexes away. Some of the units had the assault fire bonus, some did not. What I did was I calculated the FP of each unit separately, taking into the assault fire bonus separately for each unit. I then added the resulting FP for each unit together. Was this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Alex

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

1) there's a +1TEM to this shot. See B9.2(1st ed.) the first two sentences explain this in legalese. Also, technically it's not a 'hindrance' it's a 'TEM'. hindrances like grain or mist you can see/fire through, to use bd.12, D4 may fire at G6(even G8 at +5) but not B2

2)correct. think about whether the unit could theoretically Advance in the APh to the broken unit's location, keeping in mind you can't both change hexes AND locations within the hex in APh.

3)correct, however with the IFT there's no change in column in your example. the dreaded 7-4-7/5-4-8/5-2-7 can move up a column with assault fire. The assault firer must survive D1F/DFF to fire in AFPh, so it's not ALL good news. . .

you seem to be doing fine. There are plenty more questions, I'm sure, but keep it up

Alan

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Alex

Where in Canada are you? There could be an experienced player in your area to help you out.

Adrian

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I live in Hamilton, Ontario.

There are a few players around here and we get together for a game here and there. Like everyone else it's hard to get a game organized.

To improve my skills until the next game I thought I would play a quick solitaire game on the side.

Alex

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi,

I just a look at board 12 and your examples. I thought there was a difference with hedges, being that you can fire into or out of a hedge hex but not beyond. So 12V8 can fire into 12X7 but not into 12Y7. Is this correct.

Also, I am not sure what happens when you fire at a hedge hex but the LOS does not go through the hedge depiction. For example, V6 fires at X7. Is there a hedge TEM?

Thanks for the info.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're correct on the first part.
The answer to the V6 to X7 fire is 'no', there's no TEM.

Alan

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
acolic said:
Hi,

3. Assault Fire Bonus

A German 8-3-8 unit assault fires at an adjacent unit. The 8-3-8 FP is as follows: (8 x 2)=16/2=8 +1 Assault Fire Bonus=9. Is it possible that the FP during the advance fire phase is greater then the normal FP?
Note that the "normal FP" for a 838 firing adjacent during PFPh(or DFF/DFPh) would be 16, as Inherent FP is doubled...
So Assault Fire compensates the loss of FP due to movement, but does not restore it fully... :rolleyes:

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Newbie question

I would like someone to explain to me the difference between hindrance and TEM in terms of movement and attacks. To me they seem the same. I must remind you all I have only been playing for 3 weeks now and still learning the rules on the starter kit to start off with.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
>>I would like someone to explain to me the difference between hindrance and TEM in terms of movement and attacks.

TEM is the DRM you receive just for being in the hex. Hindrance is the DRM you receive for each intervening hex. So if you are in a grain hex, there is no DRM for the grain, but if there is a grain hex between you and the shooter, there is a +1 DRM. In the context of the ASLSK, everything that gives TEM also blocks LOS through it. It takes 6 hexes of (regular) hindrances to block LOS.

The tricky part I missed at first is that being in grain is not being in Open Ground so you may not get the +1 hindrance, but also won't get the -1 FFMO.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am looking at the back of my SK chart and woods has a +1 TEM but "obstacle" on hindrance. The orchard is opposite, 0 TEM and +1 hindrance.

I would appreciate a quick example (attacker and defender) of how it is all affected. It is easier for me to learn and remember this way.

Thanks.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
JGilbert said:
I would like someone to explain to me the difference between hindrance and TEM in terms of movement and attacks.
In terms of terrain, think of a Hindrance as "Soft Cover" and TEM as "Hard Cover". (Some games would refer to them as concealment and cover.)

A Hindrance only applies if you trace a line of sight through a hex. Brush, grain, orchard, and marsh are examples of hindrances. Any combination of 6 or more hindrances also block LOS.

TEM applies if you trace LOS into a hex. Woods, buildings, and walls all have TEM and block LOS through them.

Some types of terrain have TEM and also provide a hindrance to LOS traced through them. Cactus patch, olive groves, crags, graveyards and AFVs are examples of this.

Things that obscure your sight are also included in Hindrances. This would be things such as SMOKE, which applies if you trace LOS into/out of or through a hex, FFE, and Heavy/Very Heavy/Extremely Heavy Dust.

The final category are Low Visibility hindrances (LV). These are related more to conditions that make it difficult to discern your target. Things that fall into this category are Fog, Mist, Rain, Dust, Sun Blindness and Heat Haze

Last edited:

da priest

Reaction score
JGilbert said:
I am looking at the back of my SK chart and woods has a +1 TEM but "obstacle" on hindrance. The orchard is opposite, 0 TEM and +1 hindrance....
A hindrance hinders a shot, an obstacle blocks it.

Imagine 3 hexes in a row A1, A2, A3..

You are in A1, the bad guys in A3, it is their prep phase. If A2 is Orchards their shot is hindered by +1, so if they are a German 467 they get to shoot at you at 4+1. If A2 is Woods they can't shoot at you.

Now same hexes but German is in A2, you have a unit in A1 a Woods hex, and a unit in A3 a Grain hex. His shots are now 4+1 at A1(TEM), or 4 +0 at A3, no TEM.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The Prep Fire example on page 5 covers a lot of good TEM/hindrance/LOS items too.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JGilbert said:
Thanks I think I get it, we'll see when I play.
The secret to playing asl is to play as if you know the rules. If you say it with authority, people will play it your way