Mishmash of newbie questions Part Two

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks to all that replied to my first mishmash of newbie questions.

I am playing Gavin's Take and I have a fire lane question.

I have set up a 4-6-7 and a 5-12 MMG and in 3S3 to fire into 3Y2.

I have read the alternate hex rules but none of the examples seem to apply to this case. Would someone tell me what hexes the fire lane comprises.

If the Americans move into 3Y2 without assault moving is the FP for this attack 9 - 1 (FFNAM) -1 (FFMO)?

If the Americans move into 3Y3 without assault moving is the FP for this attack 9 - 1 (FFNAM) -1 (FFMO) + 1 (Hedge)?

If we fire into 3Y2 do we leave just 2 residual fire for the MMG because the squads residual fire is also 2?

If a squad moves into a hex with 2 residual fire is the attack simply a straight 2 attack on the IFT? What happens to any TEM or other modifiers?

Thanks for the info.

Alex

Tompy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Simple answer. There is no LOS between S3 and Y3. The W3/X2 hedge blocks LOS.

There is no possible Fire Lane between S3 and Y2. Strange but true.

A shot from S3 to Y2 would receive the -2FFMO/FFNAM modifier.

In general if a unit receives any positive TEM or Hindrance DRM they do not recieve the -1FFMO modifier because they would not be moving in Open Ground.

When S3 fires at Y2 with the 467/MMG the Res. FP depends on a few things. If the MMG does not receive ROF, then the there wuold be 4FP of Res. FP in Y2, 8FP halved is 4FP. If the MMG does receive ROF, then the player has a choice. If he chooses 4FP Res. FP, then the MMG is marked fired as if it did not receive ROF. Otherwise there is 2FP Res. FP left in Y2 and the MMG may fire at full FP again.

If a unit moves into a Location with 2Res. FP it takes an attack on the 2FP column of the IFT. Any TEM applies, even to bypass movement. If the orginal shot received hindrance DRM or hexside DRM then the Res. FP is reduced. So if a squad is fired on in open ground terrain behind a hedge with 4FP, then only 1FP is left, 4FP halved to 2FP reduced to 1FP for the hedge. If another unit subsequently moves through this hex with the 1FP Res. FP marker it receives a 1FP -2FFMO/FFNAM attack because the unit is moving through Open Ground with respect to the Res. FP.

I hope I was helpful.

Later,
Jeff

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
acolic said:
I have read the alternate hex rules but none of the examples seem to apply to this case. Would someone tell me what hexes the fire lane comprises.
Hi Alex,

This is the nub of the problem in the example you've given. Firelanes can only be set up along a continuous hex-grain or alternate hex-grain. So you can't just set one up anywhere you like. And as you said, none of the examples apply therefore a firelane isn't possible.

So your best bet to interdict that road hex is just to fire into it like normal and leave a bunch of residual behind as Tompy suggested.

acolic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the info. I just want to make sure I understand something that Tompy wrote.

If I originally fire on a squad in the open with the 467/MMG and my MG does not get ROF then I will leave 4FP Res in the hex. For every +TEM along the way to the target hex the Res FP is reduced by one column. Lets say their was an Orchard hex between the 467/MMG and the target hex. I would reduce the residual FP by one column to 2 FP. If another enemy squad moved into the 2 Res FP then they would be attacked on the 2 column with the -2FFMO/FFNAM.

The same rules of residual FP apply if my MG lays down a fire lane. If it were just my MG that fired I would leave a firelane with 2FP reduced one column because of the orchard to 1FP. Any enemy squad moving into that hex is hit on the one column with -2FFMO/FFNAM.

Last questions lets say that 3 467 squad and a MMG fire into a target hex. The MMG leaves a fire lane of 2FP but does the target hex also have a 6 FP residual counter from the three squads fire.

Sound good?

Thanks for the info.

Alex

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
acolic said:
The same rules of residual FP apply if my MG lays down a fire lane. If it were just my MG that fired I would leave a firelane with 2FP reduced one column because of the orchard to 1FP. Any enemy squad moving into that hex is hit on the one column with -2FFMO/FFNAM.
MG Firelane Residual treats hinderances differently. Hinderances do not reduce the FP of the Resid. Instead, they negate FFMO. Additionally, if they are hard hinderances (like orchard or a vehicle) they add the usual DRM. Grain and brush do not add their hinderance drm to an established fire lane.

acolic said:
Last questions lets say that 3 467 squad and a MMG fire into a target hex. The MMG leaves a fire lane of 2FP but does the target hex also have a 6 FP residual counter from the three squads fire.
Yep, if they were all part of the same Fire Group and there were no hinderances.