Mirkwood Trailer !

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great to see they used actual game-play views for the trailer instead of some artists concept "movie."

I saw this comment posted about it,
"Still no middle/early game content.... Please Turbine stop forcing players through a bottleneck of content."

I don't think this guy has bothered to read or understand what the game is all about - assisting the Fellowship wherever & however in getting the Ring to Mordor & destroyed. That means following a time-line and "pre-determined" path to doing just that.

I would find it kind of silly if we suddenly got a new game Update going back in time to the Shire trying to stop the Nazgul from entering it. :crosseye:

You give the game a little leeway in taking players "sideways" into action as the Ring goes south: Evendim/Forochel WAS an early game sideways move (not backwards or earlier). Mirkwood is another sideways move into action & it = middle content.

As per the books-
The Fellowship spent 2 months resting in Rivendell. That means "sideways" action can take place in LotRO during this time with players going to Evendim/Forochel/Angmar etc.

They spent 2 weeks resting in Lorien equaling a sideways move deeper into Moria & South Mirkwood.

The expansion into Rohan will clearly be middle game content & a sideways move into action. In reality the game could skip Rohan completely if the goal is to just help the Ring enter Mordor with players just following the Anduin River southward then east.

I was pleased to see Orc's, Wargs & more orc's and other Tolkien minions in the video, although the neon green undead was a bit out of place.

I'm content with the path the game is taking :) (as long as they can stay away from WoW'ish issues). :bite:

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just found this:

Running Rings Around: Siege Of Mirkwood

Lord Of The Rings Online doesn’t seem to be getting a huge amount of press these days, but it’s nevertheless trundling onwards, with Turbine seeming to put a huge amount of work into expanding the game. The attitude of the few LOTRO players I know seems to reflect that: they’re not talking up their game to any great degree, but they seemed pleased enough with how it has been handled, and how Turbine have delivered more stuff since launch. Siege Of Mirkwood is the second expansion, which apparently concludes the quest arcs set in motion by last year’s Mines Of Moria. It’s also supposed to introduce randomised, scaleable instances, which sounds like a useful notion, as well as doing the obligatory level cap raise, this time to 65. It’s due for a December 1st release, and the official trailer sits under the nether-click. It’s got elves in, and a Ring Wraith fortress. Spooks.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I just passed the formidable Level 45 barrier today, in snowy Forochel, and have been granted the third level of the Pioneer/Survivor/etc. series. Oddly, no title though. I am not big on the titles but I think for the first time, this is one I would wear with pride, were one available. I've spent so much time in the snow, I feel like I've gone native. And I'm almost reluctant to leave.

I'm amazed at how much content they packed into Forochel, especially for a "free" addition.

I'm also amazed that Mirkwood is for all intents and purposes another "free" addition. I just signed on for three month subscriptions, and I don't see any real difference in cost, and with the added bonus of getting Mirkwood. I truly hope these guys are managing the money well.

I still haven't set foot in Moria yet so Mirkwood will be a long ways off. I might not even make Moria until Christmas, or later, given the hectic pace of real life these days.

I was reading in the developer's log about "Soldiers", but only briefly. They look kind of like the "pets" that one of the classes have. An interesting notion. Any ability to solo through fellowship quests would be a welcome one; would be interesting to see AI companions made available in the regular parts of ME also, though I don't think I'd want to see it on a regular basis. I wonder if it wouldn't be a way to spend Destiny Points though - i.e. instead of the mostly useless ways to buy Destiny now, be able to buy an AI companion for specific quests. I'd rather solo than go looking for fellowships with strangers.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder if it wouldn't be a way to spend Destiny Points though ... be able to buy an AI companion for specific quests.
That's a good idea, I never remember about my Destiny points, they have some good spot uses but I rarely use them (I should, I have a ton of them sitting there)

I'd rather solo than go looking for fellowships with strangers.
I've had nothing but fun with pick-up groups (PuG's) probably because the ones I get into just ask, "hey want to do this with us?" or, when I see someone in the same area I ask, "are you doing this quest?" In the Looking for Fellowship channel (LFF) I see requests such as "need 60 Runekeeper" or "need Tank for X" which usually means they expect you to have the "right" gear/traits/skills. Sounds to much like applying for a job or work & not fun to me. But I have joined some of those simply that ask, "anyone want to do this quest?" A recent one I was in we spent more time joking around than the actual quest took. :laugh:

I think the new "Skirmisher" NPC will be like the NPC "companion" was in Diablo II: with more individual NPC flexibility but limited in-game usage. As long as it's limited to specific instances it should be a fun change of pace for solo players.

I agree with the developers note of not wanting a horde of players & their skirmishers running all over the place. They want to keep the player Fellowships (as in the books) the core of the game.

I like the idea that you will be able to set the "challenge" parameters on some quests to fit your group size from solo on up. That way if you have a friend the two of you can do the "same" quest that a group of 12 is doing except the Mobs will be scaled up or down to the number of players as will the treasure (more players = tougher mobs = better loot). Although Turbine has said that everyone will now be able to get ANY item in the game (level appropriate) it will just cost/take more to get it.

Ex. say a group of 10 players takes on quest XYZ and are victorious, as a reward they each get 10 "tokens." Then a group of 2 players do the same quest XYZ but scaled down to "2" players, they are victorious and are rewarded 2 tokens each.
That "new" armor everyone wants costs 10 tokens, the big group can get the armor after 1 trip but it will take 2 players 5 trips to get it. The point being that now everyone can get the good stuff (even solo) not just players who can get a 10+ group together.

This is different from the current system (which I deplore) of "big" instances where you might have to do the same instance 10 times just to get a chance at getting 1 item of a 4 item set.