Minor quibble....

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
When I log onto the server running VASSAL 3.6.6/VASL 6.6.3.1, I get what look like a number of raw HTML formatting symbols. Does not seem to affect functionality in any way that I could see.

Not seeing them when logging into the room for other VASSAL modules.

As advertised, a minor quibble.

PezBailarin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
with other vassal modules you see the same texts when you join the server, it's just the html is properly parsed. For example this is Up Front module:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I remember hearing that VASL or VASSAL had a limited ability to interpret HTML in the labels on counters. Perhaps it is VASL?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Never thought of that. Come to think, the previous welcome message only had straight text with no need for html formatting?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don’t remember any welcome message in 3.5.8 or earlier, but I might not have noticed.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
my 100% guess: the custom "chatter" functionality in VASL is the point of failure

Reactions: MTL

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
my 100% guess: the custom "chatter" functionality in VASL is the point of failure
Do you think that the Extension, which is obsolete, is the cause of trouble or that same functionality which has become an inherent part of VASL?

I seem to recall that still using the Extension was causing some troubles. If so, deleting the Extension would be a quick and easy fix.

von Marwitz

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
the extension was rolled into the base module. my guess is that those classes need to be updated to accommodate the server now sending formatted text.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Do you think that the Extension, which is obsolete, is the cause of trouble or that same functionality which has become an inherent part of VASL?

View attachment 20163

I seem to recall that still using the Extension was causing some troubles. If so, deleting the Extension would be a quick and easy fix.

von Marwitz
Data point: I do not have the chatter extension in my extensions folder.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Issue/change confirmed. VASSAL now uses its own formatting codes for system messages that the VASL custom message parser does not understand at the moment.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Issue/change confirmed. VASSAL now uses its own formatting codes for system messages that the VASL custom message parser does not understand at the moment.
I have created an issue on Github.