Minor Desperation Morale Update Progress Note

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As usual with reviews that occur right after opening the box, I'll take what Mark wrote with a huge grain of salt. The design choices the FW team made to simulate the KW combatants based on their research doesn't jibe with your opinion of how those combatants fought? That's fine, but who really cares? To me, it's most important that it makes for an interesting game, because that's what ASL is. So far the scenarios I've played from FW have done just that. I'd put more stock in your opinion if you had played through several of the scenarios and found them boring, unbalanced or otherwise not to your taste. But complaining about the use of two-toned counters? C'mon. I hope you'll give the FW scenarios a play through and then go back and add to your initial impression review.
The "box" was opened by me in 2018. It is now December 2019.

As for the rest, you are free to have your opinions; it's a free country.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I believe the passage of time wasn't the point, rather, the comment was that you seem to have provided an unboxing disguised as a product review. In the last 12 months, have you actually played any of the scenarios or used the rules that were mentioned in your critique?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with you Mark, The Chinese are complicated to play but seem to be somewhat incompetent as currently represented. Maybe the designer read Paul Carrels "Kicking Ass all the way back from the Chosin Resovior" lol.

Even with all the added baggage to the Chi Coms, they are still an interesting force to play if not challenging.

Scott

As for the rest, you are free to have your opinions; it's a free country.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I disagree with a some of Mark's past reviews and comments, but overall Desperation Morale is a valuable resource. He's upfront on whether he's played something or not. This doesn't make his take on things worthless, but you do know where he's coming from.

Mark's opinion on how the Chinese are represented is food for thought. ASL is a game where we would like things to be represented as historically as possible. That said, Mark's review won't prevent me from playing Forgotten War.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Minor (pun intended) point, but it might be good to mention the new edition of AoO, it has more scenarios so it might be valuable that people knew about the differences.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Minor (pun intended) point, but it might be good to mention the new edition of AoO, it has more scenarios so it might be valuable that people knew about the differences.
Tuomo, I did not know that it had additional scenarios--is there a list of them somewhere? Thank you for the heads up!

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tuomo, I did not know that it had additional scenarios--is there a list of them somewhere? Thank you for the heads up!
Mark, it also was the first to release SW, BMG, CMG, AAMG, MA, SA first fire counters. Later released in Red Factories.

Here is the list of scenarios included and redone:

Danno

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark I just finished the entirety of your FW write up. I'm sure as more folks read it, it is going to spark heated discussion, pro and con. But I think you have broached many valid points/criticism of the new rule set.

I particularly like the history of the module, and the fact that it is a descendant of KE. While this is news to me, it is not surprising, given the Bayonet Charges and general propensity for overly long SSR's that company had.

Good show, that is one of the more thought provoking write ups you've ever done.
You will find some additional and more relevant information here.