• Poll closed .

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I built the Bismarck with packets of lighter fluid in the hull. It's blazing end in the incinerator was quite a sight.
Probably not so much for the maintenance guy who had to clean up the incinerator. I've done maintenance for years. Karma's a bitch.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Having played miniatures for many years, I believe part of the appeal is not simply the actual figures, despite how meticulously (and laboriously) one has painted them. The 3D effect of well-crafted terrain is also an important part of the attraction. You have to have a cool looking battlefield to go with all those historically accurate figures!

IMO, despite the excellent artwork of the Deluxe map boards, the flat, 2D, look was at least part of the reason the ASL in miniatures experiment never really took off. At least for me, having some nifty micro armor running around on a paper map just never lit my candle.

Today, I think part of the appeal of those mega-hexes is the space it allows one to spread out all the stuff and reduce the fiddle-factor of tall (and falling) stacks.

Besides, part of John Hill's original design was to intentionally give a miniatures 'feel' to the flat world of hex and counter games. Something I think he certainly succeeded at accomplishing.
Very nicely expressed. You are probably right about the terrain being a major part of the appeal of miniatures. I loved DASL but had zero interest in the miniatures for playing.

However having the miniatures on hand for the cardboard ones you are playing with is a different matter. The miniatures do a much better job of conveying size than their cardboard counterparts.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to all who participated in this poll. It seems miniatures in ASL are definitely not for everyone. ASL is a big tent and best wishes to those who do indulge in miniatures.

I'm afraid I never had the creativity or steadiness of hand to work with miniatures. I've been saddled with many nicknames over the years. Burk Klutz is perhaps the most accurate of them.

Thanks again to all who participated or checked out this thread