Mines, Step-Reduction, and Gunflashes

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine attacks cause a Gunflash if, among other things, they cause a unit to break (E1.83). Does the same thing apply when a full-strength Japanese squad is Step-reduced by failing a morale check due to a mine attack? Can't find anything in the forum or the Q&A that addresses this, but if it came up during a game with no one to ask I'd assume that Step-reduction is equivalent to a break.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
That's always the way I read it. Reading the Rule Book for too long can dazzle and confuse, making you thing black is white.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
G1.12 "An armed, non-berserk Japanese squad that fails an IFT/Collateral-Attack/Bombardment/FPF MC (but does not suffer Casualty Reduction) or suffers a dr "1" sniper attack is always affected in one of the following ways:" A mine attack is made on the IFT. Note that a conscript Japanese (or second line CPVA) squad/reduced-squad is replaced by a broken conscript (or second line) halfsquad if it fails a MC by > its ELR.

I don't think listing Collateral-Attack in the rule was necessary, as those are made on the IFT.

JR