Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Anyone get it yet?

Do you need to be a Level 30 superhero to be able to enjoy it?

Is the super deluxe version worth getting, with the replica of the "One Ring"? I checked it out on Amazon and it looks like a dual release with a copy of the original Shadow of Angmar disc. That would be disappointing if so - if you own the original already, why buy it again? I know you can digitially upgrade LOTRO for cheap, but the allure of that little tin-plated ring is strong...I can relate to Gollum I guess...

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been thinking about picking this one up and just doing the lifetime sub. I purchased the orginal collectors edition, and it wasn't nearly as cool as the MoM collectors is.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I can't keep all the different editions straight, and their irritating website is absolutely no help! I think I'm probably too old and square to be able to appreciate the finery of it, but it looks like some 12 year old on Ritalin designed it. Lots of flash, but whenever I click on something that looks like it is about to tell me something in detail, it just takes me to another ad. It's been that way for weeks, with every re-design and teaser they put up.

rdenning

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Anyone get it yet?

Do you need to be a Level 30 superhero to be able to enjoy it?

Is the super deluxe version worth getting, with the replica of the "One Ring"? I checked it out on Amazon and it looks like a dual release with a copy of the original Shadow of Angmar disc. That would be disappointing if so - if you own the original already, why buy it again? I know you can digitially upgrade LOTRO for cheap, but the allure of that little tin-plated ring is strong...I can relate to Gollum I guess...
Yes I have it. You do not need a high level character to get benefits from the expansion. The two new low level characters classes are fun. However the actual mines of Moria part of the map is high level . I am level 50 and that is a bout what you must be. The legendary weapons (another new bit) needs high level characters. But the overall game is great and the new expansion is in my opinion very good. I played Wow a lot before moving to Lotro so I can say IMHO Lotro is as good as Wow. Not saying it is better but if you are a Tolkien buff / like middle earth and appreciate going to places in the books it is excellent.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yes I have it. You do not need a high level character to get benefits from the expansion. The two new low level characters classes are fun. However the actual mines of Moria part of the map is high level . I am level 50 and that is a bout what you must be. The legendary weapons (another new bit) needs high level characters. But the overall game is great and the new expansion is in my opinion very good. I played Wow a lot before moving to Lotro so I can say IMHO Lotro is as good as Wow. Not saying it is better but if you are a Tolkien buff / like middle earth and appreciate going to places in the books it is excellent.
Thanks very much - that's extremely helpful. Ironically, way more helpful than their official site...

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
FYI, the Landroval server has a fairly high concentration of role players. Now some role players can be quite tedious, but I'd rather be surrounded by an over-abundance of third-rate Tolkien wannabe's than the illiterate wing of the twitch-reflex crowd. And that's why I play in Landroval.

Having said that, I still turn most of the communications channels off.

I have six characters and a rather salacious orc. Apart from my orc, my most advanced character is 33, almost everyone else is in their twenties. The only plateaux that I've encountered so far come from being in the wrong places and doing the wrong sorts of things -- in other words if you get stuck below level 33 it's because you need to expand your thinking and your horizons. If you find yourself getting stuck or bored, just ask yourself where else you can go that you haven't been before. If you don't push the envelope a bit you don't advance. (And prospecting for ore in areas that are way too dangerous for you is a real challenge and quite a blast).

Many years ago I used to play a text-based game that involved a lot of mindless grinding and repetitive actions. I'm pleased to observe that there's very little of that in LOTRO -- if you need to do something over and over again, it tends to be because of a conscious choice, e.g. wanting to produce an industrial strength quantity of some manufactured substance.

One of the reasons for having multiple characters, by the way, is so that each one of them can specialize in a different crafts skill. I'm not sure what you do about weapons and armor after the early levels if you don't make them yourself. And my most active and important character is my level twenty cook, who will almost certainly never go beyond level twenty and who will do nothing but grow vegetables and cook food for everyone else.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
FYI, the Landroval server has a fairly high concentration of role players. Now some role players can be quite tedious, but I'd rather be surrounded by an over-abundance of third-rate Tolkien wannabe's than the illiterate wing of the twitch-reflex crowd. And that's why I play in Landroval.

Having said that, I still turn most of the communications channels off.

I have six characters and a rather salacious orc. Apart from my orc, my most advanced character is 33, almost everyone else is in their twenties. The only plateaux that I've encountered so far come from being in the wrong places and doing the wrong sorts of things -- in other words if you get stuck below level 33 it's because you need to expand your thinking and your horizons. If you find yourself getting stuck or bored, just ask yourself where else you can go that you haven't been before. If you don't push the envelope a bit you don't advance. (And prospecting for ore in areas that are way too dangerous for you is a real challenge and quite a blast).

Many years ago I used to play a text-based game that involved a lot of mindless grinding and repetitive actions. I'm pleased to observe that there's very little of that in LOTRO -- if you need to do something over and over again, it tends to be because of a conscious choice, e.g. wanting to produce an industrial strength quantity of some manufactured substance.

One of the reasons for having multiple characters, by the way, is so that each one of them can specialize in a different crafts skill. I'm not sure what you do about weapons and armor after the early levels if you don't make them yourself. And my most active and important character is my level twenty cook, who will almost certainly never go beyond level twenty and who will do nothing but grow vegetables and cook food for everyone else.
Great post. I'll put a link to the other thread on this for future reference.

You're right about plateaus, and as usual, I've dug myself out. I took another trip out to the Lonelands on the weekend and found that a simple bump up of one level made a difference in finishing some spider-related quests.

On an exploring trip a while ago I did a quick run over the Last Bridge into the Trollshaws, got the warning message "danger - this is for experienced players only with lots of tough monsters" etc. and got stomped by a troll and never went back, vowing to get up to level 40 or something before I tried. Well, I'm at 26 at the moment, but one of the quests in the Lonelands is to go to the bridge and get some water. (I find out much later by "cheating" that you don't really have to cross the bridge, but I wanted to find out on my own so I didn't look). Lo and behold, the Trollshaws aren't so scary either - made it all the way to Rivendell through a "secret" pass in the mountains - absolutely gorgeous. Took a trip up the pass to the Misty Mountains but turned back because I still couldn't fight any of the monsters there.

Minor spoilers ahead.

Back to Weathertop, cut north through a valley I had never traversed before, and found some other quests in the North Downs that I had previously plateaued on as well and again, just a one or two increase in experience has me at a point I can easily defeat my enemies and gain XP, so I've cleared the orc from the farms in Kingsfell, explored to the north, gathered Periwinkle, and am now in the Fields of Fornost and discovered quite by accident that what I had thought was a huge enemy encampment is actually a friendly enclave in the northern reaches of the forest.

End spoilers

So yeah, just when you think you've run out of things to do, it pulls you back in.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have actually started a new character on the Landroval server. Unfortunately I have not spent alot of time with the game between being sick and playing WoW.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have actually started a new character on the Landroval server. Unfortunately I have not spent alot of time with the game between being sick and playing WoW.
I took some time off of work to finish up a manuscript of a book I'm writing, and as a breather, played some more LOTRO. I ran into a pretty neat fellowship that loaded me up on shared quests in Estendim east of the North Downs, and finished a lot of quests above my level, so I'm now at 28 and heading to 29. Back to solo play on my own now, and went back to the Barrow Downs. What was once a pretty scary place is now actually kind of a joke - I cleaned up a few old quests I had plateaued on, and finally, finally finished the Vale of Andrath by beating Sharkey's Lieutenant. I got a bit further with Mirabell but still haven't done that - I could join a fellowship and do it with two people but I really want to solo it so I'll hold off. I'm currently in the Old Forest doing some old quests there but finding it almost not worth bothering with. I did manage to get enough Gift Mathoms in the Shire to gain acceptance to the Mathom Society, but the quests were getting me, like, 85 XP each time, which is peanuts at this point(!)

Still, it was kind of cool to wander into the southern Barrow Downs like a bad ass and stomp on a 1,000 hit point bad guy like he was a bug. Then go charging cross-country and kill a wood troll after putting it off for 5 or 6 weeks because I was too weak before, and stomp him like a bug, too.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing on Silverlode since the closed beta. I play LOTRO as a second to World Of Warcraft (sorry got into wow first). Have not gotten past level 30 on account of that very hit and miss schedule. But love the game. It's totally amazing and being a founder with a lifetime, how can you go wrong?

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am definitely going to get the lifetime sub at some point, it's such a great idea that I wish more MMO's would do.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am definitely going to get the lifetime sub at some point, it's such a great idea that I wish more MMO's would do.
Probably better that they have not. I'd never get any sleep as I would have been sucked into Conan and Warhammer as well.

There's a large group of folks that play various MMO where I work. We were all in the same WOW Guild, so the peer pressure gets pretty intense every time the "greatest MMO of them all" is released. I've avoided Conan and Warhammer so far. We'll see. I'm still very very eager to see what Curt Schilling's offering is going to be from 38 Studios. With Salvatore writing story and McFarlane doing the artwork....hmmmmmmmm

Anyway... It worked for me for LOTRO and if all else fails, I'll alwaysbe able to play there...

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is a 'lifetime sub' really what it sounds like? How long is a lifetime, and what did that cost/whose sister did you have to marry?

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is a 'lifetime sub' really what it sounds like? How long is a lifetime, and what did that cost/whose sister did you have to marry?
It is truly a lifetime (well as long as LOTRO continues to exist) it costs$199.00US. You have to pay for any of the expansions if you want them. But there are no monthly subscription fees ever.