Minefield clearance

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

never done this before - the situation is that I have 2 engineer squads in different hexes which both spend their entire MF's to enter a minefield hex across different hex sides and then declare a minefield removal.

Am I correct in assuming that two partial trail breaks are laid based on the hex sides the 2 engineer units enter the minefield and then if they make a successfully clearance then a full trail break from one of the partial trail breaks is created and the second partial trail break remains or do both partial trail breaks get removed and one full trail break put in.

In this situation does it mean that if the clearance attempt is unsuccessful then there is actually a route through the minefield on the two partial trail breaks that have been created by the two units entering from different hex sides and they can be used to enter/exit the mine field without attack by other units?

Finally, if the unit fails in its clearance attempt and then moves out of the minefield are the partial trail breaks removed or can other unit move into the minefield via these partial trail breaks without minefield attack?

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

never done this before - the situation is that I have 2 engineer squads in different hexes which both spend their entire MF's to enter a minefield hex across different hex sides and then declare a minefield removal.

Am I correct in assuming that two partial trail breaks are laid based on the hex sides the 2 engineer units enter the minefield and then if they make a successfully clearance then a full trail break from one of the partial trail breaks is created and the second partial trail break remains or do both partial trail breaks get removed and one full trail break put in.

In this situation does it mean that if the clearance attempt is unsuccessful then there is actually a route through the minefield on the two partial trail breaks that have been created by the two units entering from different hex sides and they can be used to enter/exit the mine field without attack by other units?

Finally, if the unit fails in its clearance attempt and then moves out of the minefield are the partial trail breaks removed or can other unit move into the minefield via these partial trail breaks without minefield attack?
I believe that they are conducted separately following the rules. If they leave the partial trail break is removed. The trail break is only for the use of the clearance unit. Away from rule book 📕

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Upon succeeding, the Partial TB belonging to the successful engineer is removed and replaced with a TB connecting two chosen hexsides -- one of the sides chosen may be the one by which the engineer entered the hex, but that isn't a must -- the engineer may choose any two hexsides, possibly omitting the side crossed to enter if so desired.
No. See B24.74, last two sentences.
No. Once an engineer gives up and makes safe exit via its personal Partial TB, that Partial TB chit is removed.

Note too that if both engineers succeed and the player places two crossing TBs (call them A and B), A and B share no intersection -- IOW, though counterintuitive, safe entry via TB A allows safe exit only via TB A -- entry via A and exit via B would cause a Minefield attack upon the exiting unit.

[That "no connections" weirdness continues until all hexsides of the minefield are connected by a full TB. B24.74.]

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok thank you - is there an option to combine the two engineers with one attempt to get the max die modifiers - the clearance modifiers indicate that multiple units can try the attempt together but do they all have to enter together as one stack?

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok thank you - is there an option to combine the two engineers with one attempt to get the max die modifiers - the clearance modifiers indicate that multiple units can try the attempt together but do they all have to enter together as one stack?
In this instance I'm thinking No because (per the ASOP step 3.32A) the attempt is made by a unit during Its MPh -- i.e., unless the two enter as a stack, they'd be working independently.