Mine Clearance and partial TB

buser333

Reaction score
May a unit declare a partial TB/Clearance attempt/safe entry into a Known minefield hex during the APh?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
B24.74 insinuates the MPh because all MF need to be expended to do so, but unfortunately doesn't stipulate the effort needs to be done in the MPh. I could see where one might think it possible in the APh since MF are 'spent' in the cases of advance vs difficult terrain, for example. But becoming TI in the APh is generally not possible.

EDIT -- or even relevant, since becoming TI is supposed to represent extended effort throughout the turn as per A4.8. So looking to try something like this in the advance phase is definitely a case of looking to take advantage of a rules loophole :)

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
B24.74 says "during its MPh in an attempt to clear mines".
This is a clear, unambiguous statement. Not an insuination.
There is no rule loohphole : nowhere does the rule allow to advance into a Known minefield, mark the unit with TI and TB counters and attempt clearance in the following CCPh.
COWTRA

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
That statement, Robin, only refers to the situation when the units are already in the minefield, not the latter situation described when entering a hex to clear mines. You left out the part stipulating 'in a minefield location.'

No, I stand by the statement that the rule for the entering of a minefield is not absolutely crystal clear about which phase this is allowed. The rule simply speaks about using the entire MF. However, there is no way I would personally interpret that going TI is something you can do when advancing, as it is supposed to represent activity over an entire turn.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I see. An Infantry unit could advance into a Known Minefield and be marked with a TB counter.
But the expression "becomes TI during its MPh in an attempt to clear mines" precises when it becomes TI and when it attempts to clear mines.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The only mention of B24.74 is the ASOP is in Step 3.32A.

3.3 DURING ITS MPh:
3.32A...May declare attempt to Clear rubble (B24.71), wire (B24.73), mines (B24.74), Set DC (B24.75), roadblock (B24.76)..."