Military models and minatures

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
I was just wondering if any of you guys out there are into military models and/or minatures. Im interested and would like some feed back on how to get started, what scale is the best, or maybe even some links to help get me started.:hmmm:
Ive always had those little green plastic army men and love setting them up in dioramas and displays but they aren't exactly the most realistic looking things;) So any help would be great.:bandit:

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Aye. I'm quite a veteran model builder. Been building models since I was 12.

Best model for Beginners? I would recommend 1/35 scale armour as this tends to be the most forgiving type of model there is. Put it simply, since armour, particularly WW2 armour, in real life tends to get knocked around fairly often, paint jobs on the field tends to result in a lot of overspray as well as the standard weathering they get from being exposed to the elements all the time, you really don't need to worry about keeping your paintjobs pristine like you would an aircraft or an automobile model.

Tamiya armour kits tend to be good beginner kits despite the fact that they tend to cost quite a bit as the kits this company provides has excellently molded parts that fit almost seamlessly together so you don't really need to worry too much about using gap filling cement and such to deal with ill fitting parts.

As for your little green army men. I would recommend you look up any 1/35 scale figurines by Dragon at your local hobby shop, the level of detail in those figurines will positively blow you away.

As for scale, again I recommend 1/35 as this provides an excellent level of detail while still remaining not too demanding on storage space.

With regards to links, well it really depends on what type of model you wish to build. the following sites may prove usefull though.

This has some kits you can look at for ideas and they also have how to articles:

Missing Lynx

This is a good resource for modern military equipment.
FAS

The forums here can provide you with good info for building and painting German WW2 AFV's and figurines.
Achtung Panzer

Last edited:

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wolfleader said:
Aye. I'm quite a veteran model builder. Been building models since I was 12.

Best model for Beginners? I would recommend 1/35 scale armour as this tends to be the most forgiving type of model there is. Put it simply, since armour, particularly WW2 armour, in real life tends to get knocked around fairly often, paint jobs on the field tends to result in a lot of overspray as well as the standard weathering they get from being exposed to the elements all the time, you really don't need to worry about keeping your paintjobs pristine like you would an aircraft or an automobile model.

Tamiya armour kits tend to be good beginner kits despite the fact that they tend to cost quite a bit as the kits this company provides has excellently molded parts that fit almost seamlessly together so you don't really need to worry too much about using gap filling cement and such to deal with ill fitting parts.

As for your little green army men. I would recommend you look up any 1/35 scale figurines by Dragon at your local hobby shop, the level of detail in those figurines will positively blow you away.

As for scale, again I recommend 1/35 as this provides an excellent level of detail while still remaining not too demanding on storage space.

With regards to links, well it really depends on what type of model you wish to build. the following sites may prove usefull though.

This has some kits you can look at for ideas and they also have how to articles:

Missing Lynx

This is a good resource for modern military equipment.
FAS

The forums here can provide you with good info for building and painting German WW2 AFV's and figurines.
Achtung Panzer
Don't tell me you're a chick (I'm looking at the avatar) who likes militaria and builds plastic kits.

MonsterZero is a passionate scale modeler, I have the entire tool shop with all the goodies; an airbrush, a compressor and so on. I'm almost done with a 1/35 JS-3 from Trumpeter, will publish pictures in about 2 weeks. A Tamiya T34/76 model "1943 ChTz" will be next.

Here are a couple more pro modeling sites:
www.finescale.com (Finescale Modeler Magazine, great and busy discussion boards)
www.armorama.com (superb website, constantly updated, huge message boards)

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SoccerDJ said:
I was just wondering if any of you guys out there are into military models and/or minatures. Im interested and would like some feed back on how to get started, what scale is the best, or maybe even some links to help get me started.:hmmm:
Ive always had those little green plastic army men and love setting them up in dioramas and displays but they aren't exactly the most realistic looking things;) So any help would be great.:bandit:
Soccer, begin by getting your hands on as many scale modeling books as you can afford and begin reading.

For a beginning modeler 1/35 scale armor is the best because it's obviously more affordable that 1/16 Tiger tanks at $600/each. Also, armor is by its nature the most forgiving subject. If you begin with airplanes you'll screw up quite a few but armor-when you mess up it may look like you did it on purpose because AFVs tend to be extremely beat up, dirty and imperfect except those still on the assembly line.

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmm if you go with 1/35 Tamiya as beginner offerings, you will come away disappointed.

I say that as I know they are excellent kits and not even remotely cheap, and also easy to build thanks to quality parts, but lets do some thinking here.

A beginner needs to practice the craft on something they could care less about.

A good example would be a 1/48th scale Monogram airplane that is both cheap, few parts, and not complex.

Or you can locate an item that is basically a retread kit ie someone like Tamiya has used it to death and then sold the mold. The molds make for a lot of flash maybe, but the kit is going to be cheap, and if you make a mistake so what it won't matter as much.

Car kits can also be good for learning the craft.

You need to learn to use a modeling knofe to clean up the parts. Then you need to practice glueing them together. You need to get skill painting.

And all this means only one thing, your first kits will look like hell, but so what, everyone's first model looks like that.

But you aaaaaaabsolutely need to pick up a good all encompassing model making reference. No tool will make you a better modeller, but expert advice will.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for the tips and links they look like they will help alot. Now I just got to get some money ;)

One more question have any of you guys set up a displays with models and soliders and terrrain and everything like that? If so do you have any pictures or any links to places that have a pictures like that? Thanks.

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soccer, for diorama info study the links to www.finescale.com , www.armorama.com. Those are very lively communities where you will not only get tons of replies to each and every question but they do fun & crazy stuff like "group builds". Somebody announces the subject for the group build (e.g. 1/35 Panther tank) and all the guys build their Panthers posting progress pics. Great for promoting the competitive spirit because if you're serious about scale models eventually you'll compete in contests.

Also, look for diorama modeling books. There is half a dozen books out there dedicated to dioramas exclusively.

Nevertheless, dioramas are fairly advanced subjects. If I were you I'd begin with vehicles and figures separately. Once you have a collection you can always add them to a diorama later on.

Personally I do not build dioramas because I have no way to store them without letting them collect tons of dust and that's a grievous sin after all the months invested in building the model. This is becoming particularly important now when I'm experimenting with "real" dust made of colored pastels. The dust is sprinkled on top of the tank and just stays there in its powdery state. Therefore, there is no question of touching or cleaning the model ever again; it has to be locked up in a dust-proff clear case for eternity.

I put my tanks into clear display cases that can be stacked one on top of the other to form an interesting column. Those cases are for 1/18 scale die-cast cars but they're perfect for 1/35 armor as well. If you're really desperate you can add an "earth" or "grass" or "pavement" floor to the case but since the box is slightly bigger than the model itself there is no room for anything else.

Last edited:

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
MonsterZero

I used to do some modeling long time ago. Great fun. Have had thoughts about taking it up again. A diorama is the ultimate challenge...

A little tip; ;)

find some distributor of engineering plastics, or display maker or such. Ask to get or buy scrap PC (polycarbonate) or PMMA (Plexiglass) thin sheets in thickness 1-5 mm (1/8- 1/4 inch or so) (some small cash for the coffee account). You can cut them yourself and use the same glue as for your models (normally ABS resin) for dust protection boxes. (CHEAP)

PMMA is not UV sensitive, but PC is and will turn yellow by sunlight. PMMA is brittle, PC tough, PC can be coldformed. The glue used for ABS is really a solvent and will, if fluid enough, otherwise use thinner, cause some interesting effects to the transparent plastic (ice on tracks etc). Have you tried this?

Anyway the thinner can get you in a good mood dark winter nights.. :devil:

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ah I forgot to mention earlier. With regards to paint, acrylic paint is a good type of paint to use, particularly Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo. The reason for this is if you screw up the paint job those paints can easily wash off easily with windex or rubbing alcohol. (you can protect the paint jobs once your done by spraying them with glosscoat and/or dullcoat)

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wolfleader said:
Ah I forgot to mention earlier. With regards to paint, acrylic paint is a good type of paint to use, particularly Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo. The reason for this is if you screw up the paint job those paints can easily wash off easily with windex or rubbing alcohol. (you can protect the paint jobs once your done by spraying them with glosscoat and/or dullcoat)
All paints can be stripped off with ruthless efficiency except you have to use something nasty and messy. I use a plastic contaner filled with brake fluid. I submerge the part to be stripped, let it soak for a few hours and then brush it with an old toothbrush. Messy job, had to do it only once so far. Brake fluid is powerful stuff though, you have to wear gloves and safety glasses.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
MonsterZero
I took a second look at your russki tank;
clearly I have little advice to give you: it looks great!
Perhaps though a little realism could be added? the arm of some poor chap stuck in the chains or so :p

Hehe no seriously very impressive! Hat off!