MikeJand Heat

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Could you both send me your last turns of EA, I lost them when my HD threw a fit :confused:

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mantis said:
How about a quick sitrep on how your games are progressing?
Well, against HEAT things started pretty normally but when the Armenians revolted and he took Baku it gave me the TO to DOW Germany by the USSR so its panning out to be a very different Game, currently heavy fighting in Poland and I know that I'm not going to get hit by barbarossa.

The game with MikeJ is still in it's early stages - I'm Axis in that one, while Germany sorts out Poland the French have tried a fairly audacious attack on Germany, Koblenz has changed hands 5 times in the last 4 turns!!

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wolf, since you have declared war on the Axis with the Soviet Union, I no longer have access to the Barbarossa option. :( Looks like we are going to have to go to Moscow the hard way.

:D

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, I _just_ sent you mail regarding this before opening up the EA part of the forums... one of those sixth sense things, like when you reach for the phone just before it rings. Ok, maybe not.

I don't think Koblenz will be changing hands again, as you decided to take care of the Frenchmen to the south of the city this past turn and without that flanking bonus the French will probably have to retreat :cry:. But, maybe I can convince the Frenchmen to retreat in the wrong direction.

Mini-aar:

Germany attacks Poland.

French/British DOW Germany, Belgium (!) joins in. No doubt this was unexpected, as the Belgian border was sparseely defended , allowing the French to rapidly push into the Rhine River valley, surrounding two corps and regulating them to garrison duty in Luxembourg City, where they are deserting in droves.

Germany snuffs out Poland and rails back to face the French, who by this time hold the Rhine River all the way to the Dutch border. Koblenz, on the Rhine, becomes a focal point of activity, with Daladier and Hitler staking their personal reputations on control of the city.

Then, out of nowhere, Mussolini stabs the saviours of Italy in the first world war in the back.

/end mini-aar.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Wolf said:
Well, against HEAT things started pretty normally but when the Armenians revolted and he took Baku it gave me the TO to DOW Germany by the USSR so its panning out to be a very different Game, currently heavy fighting in Poland and I know that I'm not going to get hit by barbarossa.

The game with MikeJ is still in it's early stages - I'm Axis in that one, while Germany sorts out Poland the French have tried a fairly audacious attack on Germany, Koblenz has changed hands 5 times in the last 4 turns!!
Wolf,

I'm interested in how the USSR Theatre Option to attack Germany was triggered. You say the game started 'normally', but the revolt in the Caucasus - what caused that? - allowed the rebels to sieze Baku, which in turn made the Turkish military turn pro-Axis, and that worried Stalin enough to let him declare war on Germany? I can't decide whether that's good or bad for the USSR: no 'Barbarossa' bonus - excellent: Turks and rebels in the south - tricky: Axis forts and extra reserves in the East - bad: Baku lost, bonus units and supply for the Germans and supply loss for the Russians - bad, but the oilfields can be recaptured.

Or did some other sequence trigger the TO? If you get time.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im not sure of the exact sequence of events in the game with Wolf - but it went something like this;

USSR invades Persia
Persian I unit heads north to threaten Baku
Along the way, I notice some rebel Caucasian units trying to deploy, but need their hexes controlled by the Axis so I move to release them
Once this is done, we move en masse (3 units) towards Baku and capture the city from the garrison.
Baku falls, bonus units flow out, Russians recapture about 10 turns later. My rebels are destroyed.

In retrospect it probably was NOT a good move on my part because of the loss of Barbarossa TO, and the introduction of a weak and confusing Turkish theatre. Neither side is ready (mid-40) for a serious conflict in the Eastern Front. On balance this helps the Allied player more as it gives him time to defend in depth without worrying about the bonus.

With the lack of available events I know this is not possible, but it might make more sense to require Baku to be held for X turns before the Turks join the Axis. Even if the Axis entered the city, presumably the Turks wouldn't commit themselves unless they were certain the Axis could hold it...and maintain a strong presence there.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Aha. I must admit that I'd really intended the pro-Axis Turks to be triggered by an Axis advance reaching Baku, not the odd rebel mounting a quick raid, but you can't plan for everything and, as you say, is it really going to be a long term advantage?

If you're playing 3.3. there should be small Axis Caucasian guerilla units to enable the larger cavalry forces to come on: if that's not happening I need to look at it.

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mark Stevens said:
Aha. I must admit that I'd really intended the pro-Axis Turks to be triggered by an Axis advance reaching Baku, not the odd rebel mounting a quick raid, but you can't plan for everything and, as you say, is it really going to be a long term advantage?

If you're playing 3.3. there should be small Axis Caucasian guerilla units to enable the larger cavalry forces to come on: if that's not happening I need to look at it.
I believe that we are playing 3.0 - so maybe that won't happen?