Midway, Pt2

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seen it. The 70's version is better. Sensurround was pretty cool, it sounded so authentic it scared the bejesus out of me. Granted I was only 13 or so, but I couldn't wait to get out of there and get on solid ground, like a rollercoaster. This new version has pretty spiffy graphics but hardly any drama nor was the version I seen in Sensurround. Never seen the new version in the theater only on DVD, but it seems to me that I saved me some money, or at least a waist of my time.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The CG was over-powering, but I was impressed that the characters were all based on true-life people, some of whom have traditionally been overlooked in the standard re-tellings of the battle. I was much more impressed by it than I thought I would be. Ric, did you end up giving in and seeing it? It wasn't bad. The big complaint among reviewers, that I agree with, is that it tried to cover way too much. Didn't need to see the Doolittle Raid, for example, but I did learn some things such as the Marshall Islands action that also gets overlooked in some histories.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The CG was over-powering, but I was impressed that the characters were all based on true-life people, some of whom have traditionally been overlooked in the standard re-tellings of the battle. I was much more impressed by it than I thought I would be. Ric, did you end up giving in and seeing it? It wasn't bad. The big complaint among reviewers, that I agree with, is that it tried to cover way too much. Didn't need to see the Doolittle Raid, for example, but I did learn some things such as the Marshall Islands action that also gets overlooked in some histories.
Hi Michael,
I have not seen it yet. It is in the queue to be watched during one of those times when my wife is away on a trip or something. But now with the Chinese Virus shutdowns, I can't forsee for a few more months getting a chance.

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seen it for the second time. Each time on DVD. Gets better each time I see it. First time I seen it, thought it was a sub par movie, but now I think it's above par, mostly because the historical aspect.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I enjoyed it mostly because now, with CGI...the carriers look like they were supposed to, and the aircraft are now authentic. Though there were still some colour derivations on the Vals and Kates.
The only irritant I found was that they portrayed Dick Best as some kind of obnoxious, insubordinate know-it-all. I do not believe that to be the case, and I have read a dozen or so books on Midway.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CGI was over the top. As an example: I have a hard time believing that Zeros flew between the ships on Battleship Row, below the top of the masks. The original told the story of the battle better, this one was more exciting.

Like Steve H said. Seeing what the carriers were really like. I didn't realize how small the towers were on the Japanese carriers