Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
ASLOK 2022 record

In a change of pace for me at ASLOK, I participated in only one mini-tournament. I don’t like the eight AM start time and I don’t enjoy the extra stress that I put on myself in a tournament. I joined only the desert mini to guarantee that I played at least one desert scenario during my ASLOK week.

Game 1
RPT24 FARMYARD AFFRAY with Rob Loper. Canadian paratroopers bum rush a German garrison and then fall back before the German counterattack chews them up. I played the Canadians by dice. I enjoyed the different VC of this scenario. I will do a short AAR for my blog soon. I won. Little did I know I wouldn’t be saying "I won" very much this week. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 2
MP18 MARSH MADNESS with Jim Svette. Germans hunt for Russian fortifications in an all-HIP setup. Russian needs to do everything right in the setup, because the defence is mostly static. Germans came from east and west to cause rout difficulties eventually. Jim won with the Germans ( chosen by dice) win on turn 6 of 7. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 3
BoF15 FORSTHAUS CLASH with Anthony Flanagan. New opponent to me. Russian infantry must push pass a German garrison to reach a certain hexrow and then withstand a counterattack, as well as Stuka attack. Anthony had little luck with his Stuka. I am not sure, but I think (because of ROAR) we gave the Russians the balance and diced for sides. I won with the Russians. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 4
AP163 DINGOES AT DAMUR with Kevin Killeen. Kevin really wanted the Aussies; ROAR showed it to be reasonably balanced so I let him have them. My Vichy units defended mostly from the buildings, with a couple of flank protectors in foxholes. The gun should have been further back to defend against the AFV that moved to the rear of the Vichy. Troops held up well for about four turns, then couldn't pass MC. Kevin won. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 5
AP146 ABSOLUT MÄRKÄJÄRVI with George Tournemire. I think we diced for sides; I had the Swedes. George supplied the blue-on-white counters. My 81mm mortar was doing well against the Russian hoard, but their scout eliminated it early. Russians had only one fire mission with sporadic radio contact. Game not decided until last turn in George’s favour. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 6
FT231 CUB CUB HILL with Wai Kwon Wong. This scenario has French attacking Italians in Eritrea; that is why it was on my play list. I had the French by dice. Italians defended the hills in the middle and French right. French attacked mostly on their right. Some HS went left for easy hexes on the left side undefended hill. French took too many casualties progressing on the right. Three HS on the left couldn't keep their hexes. Another loss. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 7
271 TWISTED KNICKERS with Doug Sheppard in the Desert mini. The last time we played together was 1991! This scenario is from the "Line In The Sand" trilogy, so we had some random OB. Doug was upset that he received the aerial observer OBA module, while I received RAF FB. He needn’t have worried. The match was over before the RAF showed up. I was okay with the desert rules, but I didn’t spend enough time thinking about my scenario plan. Doug did not have that issue, and he won. New to me scenario, but not from my play list.

Game 8
RPT106 BALCK BY EXAMPLE with Nelson Harris. ROAR shows this favouring the French, so we gave the German balance of an extra squad and the dice gave the German attacker to me. After having played it, I can tell you that I think the Germans need to rush straight up the middle and hope for the best. If the French realize that, their AT guns can be positioned for early kills, or kept back for late kills (which Jim did). I lost. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 9
AP60 NISHNE NYET with Al Saltzman. Al really wanted the Germans, so I obliged and took the Russians with the balance of an extra MOL-P with crew. ROAR shows this with a reasonable split. My setup may have been flawed because I had a dull game where little went well. I couldn’t figure out what to do with the Stuarts, so I put them in buildings to deter the infantry and get extra protection. I had a few stand-and-die units up front, but most in or near the centre factory and the far VC area. It was a dull game for my Russians. Fire to little or no effect on the German turn. Skulk on my turn. Repeat. The German attack was methodical, going for the end-game VC. This scenario was on both of our play lists and new to both of us.

Game 10
ROMA1 EIGHT MILLION BAYONETS with Clifford Smith. We gave the Greeks the balance and the dice gave the Greeks to me. I needed a slightly better set-up than I had. I didn’t need an Italian 45mm mortar getting four CH over three fire phases to eliminate my best leader and two squads, one of whom had the MMG. I lost. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 11
OB14 PURSUING KOBAYASHI with Jim Risher. The dice gave the Japanese defenders to me. The slow American attack allowed the Japanese to keep concealment by assault moving and advancing for longer than I expected. Americans made more CVP, but Japanese made more exit VP for a combined total of Jap 23 to Ami 21. I won! I thought this was a new scenario on my play list, but I found later that I had played the original Dispatches version.

Game 12
J188 GRAB AND GO with Joe Divine. New opponent to me. Joe had a list of balance scenarios from ROAR with lots of playings. We looked at several and chose J188. The dice gave the Russian attacker to me. ELR of five and the can deploy; what’s not to like about that? This is a neat scenario for its VC and for both sides being elite. It was tough to know who was going to win until the last turn. Ended with German 27 to Russian 18. I believe that I attacked on a too wide front, which prevented me from obtaining a lot of early buildings. Again I thought this was new to me, but I had played it in 2017 against a newish opponent.

Only three wins in 12 games is my poorest ASLOK record to date. I had a lot of fun anyway of course. Only one loss felt like a blow-out. I really enjoyed being on my own schedule instead of the mini’s schedule.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
ASLOK 2022 record

In a change of pace for me at ASLOK, I participated in only one mini-tournament. I don’t like the eight AM start time and I don’t enjoy the extra stress that I put on myself in a tournament. I joined only the desert mini to guarantee that I played at least one desert scenario during my ASLOK week.

Game 1
RPT24 FARMYARD AFFRAY with Rob Loper. Canadian paratroopers bum rush a German garrison and then fall back before the German counterattack chews them up. I played the Canadians by dice. I enjoyed the different VC of this scenario. I will do a short AAR for my blog soon. I won. Little did I know I wouldn’t be saying "I won" very much this week. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 2
MP18 MARSH MADNESS with Jim Svette. Germans hunt for Russian fortifications in an all-HIP setup. Russian needs to do everything right in the setup, because the defence is mostly static. Germans came from east and west to cause rout difficulties eventually. Jim won with the Germans ( chosen by dice) win on turn 6 of 7. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 3
BoF15 FORSTHAUS CLASH with Anthony Flanagan. New opponent to me. Russian infantry must push pass a German garrison to reach a certain hexrow and then withstand a counterattack, as well as Stuka attack. Anthony had little luck with his Stuka. I am not sure, but I think (because of ROAR) we gave the Russians the balance and diced for sides. I won with the Russians. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 4
AP163 DINGOES AT DAMUR with Kevin Killeen. Kevin really wanted the Aussies; ROAR showed it to be reasonably balanced so I let him have them. My Vichy units defended mostly from the buildings, with a couple of flank protectors in foxholes. The gun should have been further back to defend against the AFV that moved to the rear of the Vichy. Troops held up well for about four turns, then couldn't pass MC. Kevin won. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 5
AP146 ABSOLUT MÄRKÄJÄRVI with George Tournemire. I think we diced for sides; I had the Swedes. George supplied the blue-on-white counters. My 81mm mortar was doing well against the Russian hoard, but their scout eliminated it early. Russians had only one fire mission with sporadic radio contact. Game not decided until last turn in George’s favour. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 6
FT231 CUB CUB HILL with Wai Kwon Wong. This scenario has French attacking Italians in Eritrea; that is why it was on my play list. I had the French by dice. Italians defended the hills in the middle and French right. French attacked mostly on their right. Some HS went left for easy hexes on the left side undefended hill. French took too many casualties progressing on the right. Three HS on the left couldn't keep their hexes. Another loss. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 7
271 TWISTED KNICKERS with Doug Sheppard in the Desert mini. The last time we played together was 1991! This scenario is from the "Line In The Sand" trilogy, so we had some random OB. Doug was upset that he received the aerial observer OBA module, while I received RAF FB. He needn’t have worried. The match was over before the RAF showed up. I was okay with the desert rules, but I didn’t spend enough time thinking about my scenario plan. Doug did not have that issue, and he won. New to me scenario, but not from my play list.

Game 8
RPT106 BALCK BY EXAMPLE with Nelson Harris. ROAR shows this favouring the French, so we gave the German balance of an extra squad and the dice gave the German attacker to me. After having played it, I can tell you that I think the Germans need to rush straight up the middle and hope for the best. If the French realize that, their AT guns can be positioned for early kills, or kept back for late kills (which Jim did). I lost. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 9
AP60 NISHNE NYET with Al Saltzman. Al really wanted the Germans, so I obliged and took the Russians with the balance of an extra MOL-P with crew. ROAR shows this with a reasonable split. My setup may have been flawed because I had a dull game where little went well. I couldn’t figure out what to do with the Stuarts, so I put them in buildings to deter the infantry and get extra protection. I had a few stand-and-die units up front, but most in or near the centre factory and the far VC area. It was a dull game for my Russians. Fire to little or no effect on the German turn. Skulk on my turn. Repeat. The German attack was methodical, going for the end-game VC. This scenario was on both of our play lists and new to both of us.

Game 10
ROMA1 EIGHT MILLION BAYONETS with Clifford Smith. We gave the Greeks the balance and the dice gave the Greeks to me. I needed a slightly better set-up than I had. I didn’t need an Italian 45mm mortar getting four CH over three fire phases to eliminate my best leader and two squads, one of whom had the MMG. I lost. New to me scenario from my play list.

Game 11
OB14 PURSUING KOBAYASHI with Jim Risher. The dice gave the Japanese defenders to me. The slow American attack allowed the Japanese to keep concealment by assault moving and advancing for longer than I expected. Americans made more CVP, but Japanese made more exit VP for a combined total of Jap 23 to Ami 21. I won! I thought this was a new scenario on my play list, but I found later that I had played the original Dispatches version.

Game 12
J188 GRAB AND GO with Joe Divine. New opponent to me. Joe had a list of balance scenarios from ROAR with lots of playings. We looked at several and chose J188. The dice gave the Russian attacker to me. ELR of five and the can deploy; what’s not to like about that? This is a neat scenario for its VC and for both sides being elite. It was tough to know who was going to win until the last turn. Ended with German 27 to Russian 18. I believe that I attacked on a too wide front, which prevented me from obtaining a lot of early buildings. Again I thought this was new to me, but I had played it in 2017 against a newish opponent.

Only three wins in 12 games is my poorest ASLOK record to date. I had a lot of fun anyway of course. Only one loss felt like a blow-out. I really enjoyed being on my own schedule instead of the mini’s schedule.
Nice report and well done checking some scenarios off of your play list. 8:00 AM is almost the middle of the day for us old geezers.🙄

ASLOk is meant to be what the attendees want it to be. All that really matters is that you had a good time and enjoyed great comradeship.🤗