Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My games played at the New York State ASL Championship.

I played HAZMO29 THE HEIGHTS OF HUBRIS with Kevin Killeen. We had played together recently at ASLOK 2022. In this scenario, mixed German infantry with assault engineers, air, DC, FT, 4 AFV, reinforced by more of the same, try for hill hexes vs mixed infantry with 2 guns, fortifications reinforced by infantry and 2 AFV in 1942. We had made our bids (G1 for him, G0 for me) and arrived at sides before we became aware of the errata about a missing T-70. We decided to play it as we bid it. Kevin did a good job of bringing the Germans up quickly while the mist was in effect. I took few shots early on, fearing the air support. When the mist and air support were over, the battle began in earnest. I defended the small hill with about one third of the force. Kevin attacked both hills at the same time. The small hill held out longer than I expected. I had average dice overall, I believe, but the timing of my good dice was key. During the last German turn, they needed one more hex and managed to start a melee in it. During the last Russian turn however, a Russian squad eliminated a lone Panzer in CC to render the melee moot.

I played DB173 THE LAST DAY with Mike Allexenberg. Mike and I last played in 2016 at this same tournament. This scenario takes place on the Red Barricades map, which I have not visited for many years. Mixed Russian infantry with 2 T34 try to clear two buildings vs mixed infantry with fortifications and low ELR in 1943. I missed the idea of putting a Russian mortar or two to interfere with the German fall back. So my Russians ground forward while the Germans mostly retreated in good order. Luckily for me, Mike's two HIP HS with DC didn't do too much damage. The Russians took the larger of the two victory buildings and were inside the small one, but could not break the all Germans in it.

I played Larry Flaherty next in the scenario ECZ11 BLOOD AND BRINE; the scenario is from a new pack by Enrico Catanzaro. In every scenario, both players bid a number of VP to determine who plays a specified side. Larry and I last played at Nor'Easter 2016. Mixed German infantry with 3 AFV, reinforced by infantry with 1 AFV, try for a specified building or hexes vs infantry with 1 AT gun, fortifications, reinforced by 3 AFV in 1940. The hexes are all bridge entrance hexes. The building is a largish one, representing a city hall. I bid 7 VP, figuring on 5 for the city hall and 2 for a nearby bridge entrance hex. Larry bid 6, so he set up a British defense. He had troops spread across the map with a few extra in the city hall. I thought I saw an opening of sorts to move up the board edge to the city hall, so that is what I tried. I was successful. A highlight for me was taking out a troublesome ATR toting HS with a thrown DC. I rolled a two on the target. The throwing HS rolled a twelve on its MC.

I played Brian Wiersma in the scenario DB38 CENTAURO ON A FLANK; one of five scenarios in this round featuring Italian troops in honor of Gary Trezza. Brian and I last played together in 2017, probably at the Tussel tournament. Italian infantry with some assault engineers and 5 AFV try for buildings vs mixed infantry with 2 AT guns in 1941. Brian bid I0, I bid Y2. Brian was methodical in his approach using the center and Italian right side. He kept his armour moving and timed everything very well. Although I broke some of the infantry on the approach, the Italian AFV kept neutralising my units. After the penultimate turn, the Italians had 7 of the 9 required buildings. I could see that two more would fall, so I conceded.

I played DB172 NOT DIGGIN' POTATOES with Tom Cvetinovich. He and I played for the first time at ASLOK 2019. I needed a short scenario after my all day battle with Brian (although it was paused for lunch and the raffle). American paratroops try to clear an area of second line Germans in 1944 while avoiding a CVP cap of 8 points. I gave Tom choice of sides, since he accomodated my scenario choice. My defense was mostly entrenched behind the second hedge but also a squad behind the first hedge and in the wooden building. I also had a HS with several dummies in the left buildings, pretending to be the MMG team with a leader. Tom knew he had to move fast and made great use of infantry smoke to protect his troops, although I still managed to break a few units. In the last American turn, they were close to being able to CC every German stack but a sniper pinned one of the squads.

My last game was finally with a new opponent: John Gordowski. We played ON10 CHATEAU OF DEATH. We diced for sides; after playing it, I wished we hadn't. German infantry with 3 AFV, 1 flak wagon try for selected buildings vs infantry reinforced by carriers, then by 3 AC in 1944. The AC can't be useful unless the Germans have started very poorly. I had the misfortune of a sniper recall on the MMG carrier before the infantry could remove the MMG. The British need some help in this one. When the AC entered, I was down to two buildings and 2.5 squad equivalents. I conceded soon after the AC entered, took up position and were destroyed.

My 3 wins had me finishing 13th in a field of over 40 players.

Thanks to Steve Pleva and Joe Leoce, I had a fine long weekend of ASL. The new venue is a great improvement over last year.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mike ..do you ever stay home..your ASL kit must have more state and province stickers on it than most of our luggage :p:LOL:🤣:D