MG v AFV

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I still don't get why an LMG is prohibited from doing so, when an ATR isn't
MGs are also unable to score CHs - I believe the possibility of a critically placed bullet is already taken into account in figuring their TK. Maybe something similar was factored in the design of the rule.

When firing an ATR at an AFV, you're using the weapon to try to do what it was designed to do. When firing a MG at the same... well, you're attracting attention to yourself, with (supposedly) little chance of successfully damaging it. So the rules try not to make you do it too often.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
From a battle record of the Halftracks, Kradschützen Abt 4 in 16th August 42 (Death of the leaping horseman, the 24th Panzer Division at Stalingrad , Jason D, Mark):

"...We drove forward carefully with our right flank along the gully, ready to turn off at any time. All of a sudden we were halted by anti-tank rifle and machine-gun fire coming from a small hollow about 100 metres away. I received several hits but they bounced off. Both armored glass blocks were shattered...."

So MG fire maybe was just to disable the vision slits and make the crew falter...

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
From a battle record of the Halftracks, Kradschützen Abt 4 in 16th August 42 (Death of the leaping horseman, the 24th Panzer Division at Stalingrad , Jason D, Mark):

"...We drove forward carefully with our right flank along the gully, ready to turn off at any time. All of a sudden we were halted by anti-tank rifle and machine-gun fire coming from a small hollow about 100 metres away. I received several hits but they bounced off. Both armored glass blocks were shattered...."

So MG fire maybe was just to disable the vision slits and make the crew falter...
Actually if you study the TK table you’ll notice it is quite probable that MG will get a stun result against lightly armored AFVs. So this is built into the system.

And 1MT tanks suffer a recall from the first stun result. I am firing my Allied minor French and British MGs at PzIs all the time in 1939-40 scenarios.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tate Rogers has a good article in ASL Annual '97 What Do You Do When You Have a Can Opener? Early war AFVs, APCs, several TDs and many Japanese vehicles are susceptible to fire from MGs.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Tate Rogers has a good article in ASL Annual '97 What Do You Do When You Have a Can Opener? Early war AFVs, APCs, several TDs and many Japanese vehicles are susceptible to fire from MGs.
One of the essential AFV articles to read.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looking at the IIFT yesterday, I noticed the * vehicle line ( which is used when a TH is not needed ) starts at 3 - doesn't that preclude most LMGs, which generally have a 2 FP, from successfully attacking AFVs?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Looking at the IIFT yesterday, I noticed the * vehicle line ( which is used when a TH is not needed ) starts at 3 - doesn't that preclude most LMGs, which generally have a 2 FP, from successfully attacking AFVs?
The "Vehicle * Line" isn't used when attacking AFV.....