Mfg Links

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
-disclaimer -- I am at work - I got links to GHQ and CinC -- which are good because they have an online catalog.

I don't actually play the games - but I have been into painting the pieces -they take up less room than a conventional model, cost a little less, and have great selections.

Will edit in those links later on tonight ...

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good. I need to find out where I can buy some Airfix miniatures. Is there another company that makes miniatures? A good internet retailer? In Canada if possible? You guys got me into modelling, now miniature???? Boy it's going to be an expensive summer! ;)

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It really depends on what scale you're going to use.

I've used 1/285th and 1/72nd/76th/HO myself (285th is really good for massed vehicle combat, 1/72 is good for large infantry fights with a few vehicles - though using 1/72 plastic figures don't give you much in the way of 'customization' in poses) and played around with 1/32 or 25th (I don't remember which; both are good for squad, at most platoon-sized, engagements) as well as Warhammer squads.

Companies for 1/72/76/HO - Airfix, ERTL, AMT, Matchbox, Hasegawa (though pricey), and Rocco (really cool! but HO-scale and look small when next to 1/72nd) are where I acquired my 'hordes' from. Too bad one good sized rubber band takes out a whole platoon if 'fired' just right from a tank...:cool:

For 1/285th, GHQ and C-in-C. I've got quite a bit of painted and unpainted modern units (for those large WWIII German Plains tank battles and the Fulda Gap Red Horde Rush) as well as some aircraft, though infantry are pooring representing at that scale.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
http://www.pfc-cinc.com/page/page/292434.htm C in C minatures

http://www.ghqmodels.com/ GHQ models

Mainly 1/285th WWII and modern , 15mm (I think US Civil War, Napoleonic, 1:24th WWI, WWII, and modern naval --- also makes 18th and early 19th Century sailing ships)

------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between the 2 is that GHQ is a little better quality - but C in C is ok -and less expensive -- ) Dunno what the rest of the world is like - but it is nearly impossible to get these things in stores in the KC MO area... luckily I have a back log...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK Hobby shops -well that might be getting a little ot - but the best one that I know of in Canada:

www.militaryhobbies.ca (also have a sister site for the US) ---I don't know that they necessarily carry the metal minatures -- but I imagine they would have Airfix figures.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by dannybou
Good. I need to find out where I can buy some Airfix miniatures. Is there another company that makes miniatures? A good internet retailer? In Canada if possible? You guys got me into modelling, now miniature???? Boy it's going to be an expensive summer! ;)
If you have the ability to control yourself, you can actually save money, since you're still modeling, but with littler, cheaper guys. The cool thing is that now you can fight battles with them.:cool: After the tabletop violence and stacks of dead metal guys, the thing I like the best (being still 10 years old inside) is getting my eyes down to tabletop level and looking at a raging medieval battle that looks as real as I can get it.
:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:
JS