MF for placing DC from Foxhole

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
A squad in a foxhole wants to place a DC during it's MPh, into an ADJACENT open ground hex. Per A23.3, it can remain in the foxhole while doing so ("...and therefore a unit could conceivably remain entrenched the entire time..."). That seems clear. But we didn't agree on the number of MF the squad has to expend to do so.

A23.3: "A DC is Placed on an ADJACENT target Location during the MPh by a carrying Infantry unit expending extra MF (in the hex the DC is Placed from) equal to the number of MF it would require that unit to directly enter that target Location were it to do so..." (Emphasis mine)

So, must the squad expend 1 MF, the cost to directly enter the target location?
Or does it have to expend 2 MF, the one it would require that unit to leave the foxhole, and the one for entering the target hex?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A squad in a foxhole wants to place a DC during it's MPh, into an ADJACENT open ground hex. Per A23.3, it can remain in the foxhole while doing so ("...and therefore a unit could conceivably remain entrenched the entire time..."). That seems clear. But we didn't agree on the number of MF the squad has to expend to do so.

A23.3: "A DC is Placed on an ADJACENT target Location during the MPh by a carrying Infantry unit expending extra MF (in the hex the DC is Placed from) equal to the number of MF it would require that unit to directly enter that target Location were it to do so..." (Emphasis mine)

So, must the squad expend 1 MF, the cost to directly enter the target location?
Or does it have to expend 2 MF, the one it would require that unit to leave the foxhole, and the one for entering the target hex?

I would emphasize the phrase "that unit" in A23.3. It is not the cost for some hypothetical unit. The cost for that unit in the foxhole is two MF. If it had been outside the foxhole the cost would be one MF.

JR