MF Cost Question

_Fury_

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,

What is the MF cost for infantry moving from D4 -> E5 in this diagram? What is the MF cost to bypass from D4 along the E4/E5 hexside? I believe the two costs should be the same, is that correct?

VASLMap.png

This map results from transforming water to obstacles to dry on map 3a.

Thanks!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You have found an intermediate level. The move requires two level changes, from level zero to level minus one, then from level minus one to level zero. The first one is the intermediate level, so it is one MF for moving down a level. The second level change is the normal cost of entry, so one MF doubled to two for gaining a level. The total cost for both moves is three MF.

The cost for moving E5->D4 with no bypass is one MF intermediate level down plus four MF, two MF for woods double while gaining a level, a total of five MF.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
As for the bypass question, a unit moving from D4 into bypass of E4 via the E4/E5 hexside, I do not think there is an additional MF cost for a level change. That is, the unit stays at Level 0 (the level of the woods) as per A4.34:

A4.34 ...If a unit is using Bypass (including VBM) along a Crest Line, and the obstacle it is Bypassing is on the higher level of that Crest Line, then the unit is also at that higher level (since a Crest Line itself cannot be Bypassed; 4.3).​

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for the bypass question, a unit moving from D4 into bypass of E4 via the E4/E5 hexside, I do not think there is an additional MF cost for a level change. That is, the unit stays at Level 0 (the level of the woods) as per A4.34:

A4.34 ...If a unit is using Bypass (including VBM) along a Crest Line, and the obstacle it is Bypassing is on the higher level of that Crest Line, then the unit is also at that higher level (since a Crest Line itself cannot be Bypassed; 4.3).​
Have to agree, as if an infantry unit was bypassing the E4 woods along the E4-E5 & E4-D4 hexsides to enter the woods in D3, the total MP expenditure would be three and not five as well.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Have to agree, as if an infantry unit was bypassing the E4 woods along the E4-E5 & E4-D4 hexsides to enter the woods in D3, the total MP expenditure would be three and not five as well.
Yeah. I don't know if this one has better proof by either rule, Q&A, or Perry (or Klas). Perhaps it could use one.

In any case, it has already been ruled that similar hexside obstacles would not affect BP costs (for example, if the D4/E5 hexside, as drawn, was a hedge/wall instead of a valley). This seems similar enough. That little extension into hex E4 is simply skirted around as the unit is neither entering E5 nor crossing the D4/E5 hexside.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. I don't know if this one has better proof by either rule, Q&A, or Perry (or Klas). Perhaps it could use one.

In any case, it has already been ruled that similar hexside obstacles would not affect BP costs (for example, if the D4/E5 hexside, as drawn, was a hedge/wall instead of a valley). This seems similar enough. That little extension into hex E4 is simply skirted around as the unit is neither entering E5 nor crossing the D4/E5 hexside.
That was my take as well.