Menage a trois ASL, blind play, team play, etc.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Did anybody mention the Tank Rumbles of the mid 90's? Can't recall who put it together but it wuz essentially a referred gig, using tanks, between teams of players played on VASL via PBEM. The Ref told you what you saw when you saw it.
Oh, these were great fun!! I remember one of them, the 'Dompaire' rumble set in France. I liked the role-playing element within it, the limited radio-messages on various networks (platoons, command-net). The Ref did not only tell you what you saw when you saw it. He also told you what you heard when you heard it (provided your own tank engine was turned off). And you saw much less while BU.

Actually, I created my alias "von Marwitz" for the tank rumbles. The US-players still have a soft spot for harsh sounding German names - so I gave one to them. As an added bonus, I could genuinely swear in German on the platoon net... Good times!

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Oh, these were great fun!! I remember one of them, the 'Dompaire' rumble set in France. I liked the role-playing element within it, the limited radio-messages on various networks (platoons, command-net). The Ref did not only tell you what you saw when you saw it. He also told you what you heard when you heard it (provided your own tank engine was turned off). And you saw much less while BU.

Actually, I created my alias "von Marwitz" for the tank rumbles. The US-players still have a soft spot for harsh sounding German names - so I gave one to them. As an added bonus, I could genuinely swear in German on the platoon net... Good times!

von Marwitz
Gott I'm Himmel!! Von Marwitz an alias? To appease my countrymen? And he uses profanity on the panzer radio!! My illusions are shattered. Captain Bacchus where's that other bottle of Rothschild? Pour us a couple large ones.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
Seriously the Rumble sounded like a fantastic time and very well done. Major props to the organizers.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Gott I'm Himmel!! Von Marwitz an alias? To appease my countrymen? And he uses profanity on the panzer radio!! My illusions are shattered.
To appease your countrymen? Von Marwitz's objective was to shoot every last one of them up as they approached Dompaire. In the event, I think that I got one or two, which also shattered some illusions. ;)

I think in the same rumble, our Hauptmann (9-1 AL) Abandoned his tank when it got immobilized and climbed up into an nearby Steeple. From there, with a grandstand view of the terrain, he called down the positions of the enemies to a still operational German tank next to the Steeple, which in turn, related this valuable information via the Platoon net. Using the Crew for this purpose was just an ingenious idea. Realistic in the context, so the referee took it up and allowed it.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Seriously the Rumble sounded like a fantastic time and very well done. Major props to the organizers.
Somewhere I might still have the rules and the old printouts of the emails. The situation was visualized by placing counters on the old mounted boards (for the things you saw, at least). For added atmosphere, locations were not given in map coordinates on the radio net. You weren't talking about the stone building in G3 but for example about "La Ferme about 80 yards east of the bridge."

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
To appease your countrymen? Von Marwitz's objective was to shoot every last one of them up as they approached Dompaire. In the event, I think that I got one or two, which also shattered some illusions. ;)

I think in the same rumble, our Hauptmann (9-1 AL) Abandoned his tank when it got immobilized and climbed up into an nearby Steeple. From there, with a grandstand view of the terrain, he called down the positions of the enemies to a still operational German tank next to the Steeple, which in turn, related this valuable information via the Platoon net. Using the Crew for this purpose was just an ingenious idea. Realistic in the context, so the referee took it up and allowed it.

von Marwitz
Great use of the AL.