Memory Lane: A Review of Squad Leader

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings, all.

Today I was moving some old books and I came across a volume called The Complete Book of Wargames, by the Editors of Consumer Guide with Jon Freeman. This work was Copyright 1980 by Publications International, Ltd.

This book was given to me as a gift, in recognition of my enthusiasm for wargames generally, and my growing obsession with COI specifically. Paging through this book has brought back a lot of memories of cardboard battles past...

For the interest and amusement of groggies and newbies alike, I copy here a quoted excerpt from the review of Squad Leader. Hope you enjoy it.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

"Squad Leader was a Charles Roberts Award winner for 1977 – and deservedly so. It is probably the most popular tactical World War II game since PanzerBlitz. The game is exciting, colorful, and almost endless in its variations and scenario possibilities. While the play sequence (complicated as it is) is geared more to fun than to an accurate representation of a squad-level firefight, the game does give the players a remarkable feel for close-tactical combat. Two other factors contribute to its success: the game has been given a topnotch physical presentation by Avalon Hill, and the charts have been kept to a minimum. This allows players to enjoy the game without resorting to charts and rules at every step. Although clearly intended only for advanced players, Squad Leader is not unplayably long and does reward the time spent learning the rules. It seems to be that rare bird: an instant success with staying power."

Gen. blunder

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I really linked COI with vintage scenario's like sowchos 79 , breakout at Borisov, Hube's pocket, i also linked crescendo of doom , however GI Anvil of victory well :cry:
And i will always remember the excitment i felt when i played for the first time , the first squad leader scenario. The guards counter attack.
15 years ago i bought two games at the same time Squad leader and Sands of war from GDW.
I tought because of the complexity of Squad leader i would play a lot sands of war and some times squad leader, well it's the opposite that happened.

Bill Durrant

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I remember thinking I would stick with SL when ASL came out and I managed to hunt down a second hand copy of GI. I excitedly read the rulebook and ..................... bought ASL

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Other books

I have that book too. Ah, memory lane LOL

Nicky Palmer wrote one called "The Best of Board Wargaming"
Hippocrene Books 1980

From P152 regarding SL/COI/DOD:
"The game will probably remain popular for years to come."

If only he knew.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was hoping this review might awaken some fond memories...

Ah, yes. I totally loved those SL and COI scenarios. "Guards Counterattack" will remain in my memory with great fondness. Life was simpler then... :D

A couple of the comments in the review really intrigued me:

is geared more to fun than to an accurate representation of a squad-level firefight, the game does give the players a remarkable feel for close-tactical combat.
While ASL has become a subject of "reality" and "simulation" debate in great detail: unit strengths, inherent SW allotment, morale levels...

the game has been given a topnotch physical presentation by Avalon Hill
I still think the ASL components (including units and counters) are among the most attractive and functional out there.

and the charts have been kept to a minimum. This allows players to enjoy the game without resorting to charts and rules at every step.
If only the IIFT could have been forseen and designed into SL to begin with... :D

... I feel vaguely old now... :roll:

I wonder if John Hill had any idea...

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was hoping this review might awaken some fond memories...

Ah, yes. I totally loved those SL and COI scenarios. "Guards Counterattack" will remain in my memory with great fondness. Life was simpler then... :D

A couple of the comments in the review really intrigued me:

is geared more to fun than to an accurate representation of a squad-level firefight, the game does give the players a remarkable feel for close-tactical combat.
While ASL has become a subject of "reality" and "simulation" debate in great detail: unit strengths, inherent SW allotment, morale levels...

the game has been given a topnotch physical presentation by Avalon Hill
I still think the ASL components (including units and counters) are among the most attractive and functional out there.

and the charts have been kept to a minimum. This allows players to enjoy the game without resorting to charts and rules at every step.
If only the IIFT could have been forseen and designed into SL to begin with... :D

... I feel vaguely old now... :roll:

I wonder if John Hill had any idea...

Regards,
Bruce Bakken