Double Platinum

Wasted...Again

Master Of Puppets

Piece Of Mind

erwin_rommel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
best drinking song for me is either Sober by Tool or There's a tear in my beer by Hank Williams Sr or Jr either one is good.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, Janos, you certainly dug this topic up!

Here's my top 10 artists/bands (in alphabetical order)

Alabama
Charlie Daniels Band
Johnny Horton
Alan Jackson
Toby Keith
C.W. McCall
Jerry Reed
Aaron Tippin
Hank Williams, Sr.
Hank Williams, Jr.

Lots of heavy metal and heavy rocks on this page. I never would have guessed!

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by erwin_rommel
Come on somebodys got to be into heavy metal, i cannot be the only one here that enjoy thrash, death, punk or speed metal. somebody back me up.
I will step up to the plate for you. I listen to some heavy older stuff as well as new. I live a lot of the old Iron Maiden. I listen to Helmet if you have heard of them. Korn the older stuff is good. Panterra is some good stuff too. Tool is one of my favorites as well

The only type of music I don’t listen to is rap…

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I go through phases were I'm really into one type of music (although still listen to everything else). For a while I was primarily into metal, then I focused on (old) punk music for a bit, then I was into grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains) for a long time, and now I'm on a classic rock kick (Rolling Stones, CCR, Led Zeppelin, etc). But generally speaking I listen to everything but rap and country (the exception to the country: Johnny Cash - one of the best guitarists) :halo:

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Thomas McPeek
Let's see 1. The Doors 2. The Rolling Stones 3. Pink Floyd:banana: :banana: :toast: :toast:
Actually this summer has been a huge Doors summer for me, and there was a year where I listened to pretty much nothing but pink floyd! :D

Patrocles

Reaction score
I've been so GD busy these past few years that I don't get to listen to tunes as much as I would like.
...lately i've been cranking up:

Kraftwerk - Tour de France

Pink Floyd - Animals

Woody Guthrie - 4 vol. Smithsonian collection

Gustav Holst - The Planets (1926 recording of London Symphony being conducted by Herr Holst himself! excellent!).

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And Now For Something Completely Different...

Figured I'd really blow some minds--if anybody knew or understood this music at all:

"Progressive" Classical

Philip Glass: ENSTEIN ON THE BEACH, SATYAGRAHA, AKHNATEN (operas), KOYAANISQATSI, NAQOQATSI, CANDYMAN (scores), THE PHOTOGRAPHER, SONGS FOR LIQUID DAYS, and much more...

John Adams: THE DEATH OF KLINGHOFFER, NIXON IN CHINA (operas), HARMONLEHRE, HARMONIUM, SHAKER LOOPS, and much more...

Steven Reich: DRUMMING, THE DESERT MUSIC, EARLY WORKS, SIX MARIMBAS, TEHEILIM (sp?), and much more....

Michael Nyman: PROSPERO'S BOOKS, DROWNING BY NUMBERS, THE DRAUGHTSMAN'S CONTRACT, SIX DAYS, THE THIEF/THE COOK/HIS WIFE/HER LOVER, GATTICA (scores), THE MAN WHO MISTOOK HIS WIFE FOR A HAT (Chamber Opera), and much more...

Robert Ashley: IMPROVEMENT (OR DON LEAVES LINDA), PERFECT LIVES (my personal favorite of all time), EL AFICIONADO, ATALANTA (operas), AUTOMATIC WRITING, and much more...

John Corigliano: THE GHOSTS OF VERSAILLES (opera)

Wim Mertens: THE BELLY OF AN ARCHITECT (score), and some others

Classical: Favorites include Igor Stravinsky, George Gershwin, Ludwig von B, Frederick the Great, J.S. Bach, and a host of others. Basically it would be easier to answer with who I didn't like.

"Degenerate" Classical

John Zorn. Everything he does. He's simply a genius.
John Cage. Some of it, but not everything.

Jazz: I'm a little more limited here:

Dizzy Gillespie
Art Blakey
Passport
The Rippingtons
Pat Metheny
Fourplay

There's probably more, I've just not heard it yet.

--emw

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alternative and Out There

Some will say--okay, what NORMAL music do you listen to? The closest to normal must simply be:

Cocteau Twins: TREASURE, PINK OPAQUE, DYNAMINE, and much else besides--there's not a bad album these girls can do.

Brian Eno: AMBIENT MUSIC, DISCREET MUSIC, APOLLO (yeah, I followed him and rocker/guitarist Robert Fripp in the bad old days, but he basically started New Age to my way of thinking with this stuff)

Tangerine Dream: TANGRAM, PHAEDRA, OPTICAL RACE, MIRACLE MILE, STRATOSFEAR, and much, much else....

Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (OMD)--ORGANIZATION, ARCHITECTURE AND MORALITY, PACIFIC AGE, UNIVERSALIS, DAZZLE SHIPS, CRUSH, and more

Laurie Anderson: MR HEARTBREAK, BIG SCIENCE, HOME OF THE BRAVE, UNITED STATES I-IV, and more....

Blue Man Group: At least this is somewhat contemporary....

Dave Matthews Band. All of it.

-

--

---

What music do I wargame to? Ah, that would depend on the game. It's helpful when the wargame comes with a discography, such as Lee Brimmicombe-Wood's excellent DOWNTOWN: AIR WAR OVER HANOI, 1965-1972 or any of Kevin Zucker's Napoleonic wargames...these guys tell you what to listen to when playing their works. I just love that.

--emw

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: And Now For Something Completely Different...

Originally posted by ericmwalters
Figured I'd really blow some minds--if anybody knew or understood this music at all:

"Progressive" Classical

Well you're right at about that, I've got no clue what it is. Progressive Classical sounds kinda like Jumbo Shrimp. Ah, my mind is exploding! :nuts: