Jean-Michel Jarre
Hunters & Collectors

That's enough for now

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bands

Here goes: Besides AC/DC........these are my tops.

1)Ozzy
2)Limp Bizkit
3)Godsmack
4)The Eagles
5)Steve Miller Band
6)KISS
7)Motley Crue
8)Skynyrd
9)Rage Against the Machine........(sometimes)
10)Alison Krauss..........gotta love that beautiful voice............

Mark
Deo Vindice

Reaction score
AC/DC
The Band
The BoDeans
Roseanne Cash
Eric Clapton
The Clash
Bad Company
Dire Straits
The Eagles
Jimi Hendrix
John Hiatt
Led Zeppelin
Little Feat
Delbert McClinton
Sarah McLachlan
Bonnie Raitt
Carlos Santana
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Richard Thompson
ZZ Top

Pretty much anything but rap or opera

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Although compared to real record collectors my collection is absurdly small, amatuerish and tends to have large gaps in it, I still have a larger collection than most people.

I have about 1000-1100 cds
about 1200 12" vinyl albums
about 450 12", 10", 7" and 5" singles and 45's

My collection contains stuff from all genre and I'm conversant on most subjects except pop and 99.9% of club/dance music.

My favorites are:

70's British and American Punk
early 80's DC and LA hardcore punk
80's/90's indy/college rock/grunge
70's "classic rock"
60's surf, garage, beat and psychedelia
blues from the pre-chicago days in the 20's and 30's
chicago blues from the 50's and 60's
40's folk as well as both the 50's and 60's folk revivals

-collecting all the old punk/hardcore records i wanted when i was a kid but couldn't affordor find them-

Wagner and Beethoven Classical (among a few others)

Jazz (Miles and Coltrane and Art Blakey are my faves)

early 70's country rock

and the most recent: Extreme Metal! \m/

Black Metal
Death Metal
Melodic Death Metal
Metalcore
Power Metal
Trad Metal

Also i dabble in old Jamaican music like Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae and early Dub.

I pay almost no attention at all to the contemporary hardcore/punk scene and I don't go to shows anymore, although I did for years. I don't buy any new HC/Punk except for a few of the bigger bands that i've been following for years..(Rancid, Dropkick Murphys....that sort of stuff....)

I also enjoy 60's and 70's R&B, Funk and Soul.
I like alot of hiphop but i shy away from most of the popular big names in favor of smaller, more creative independant/underground acts. Don't fear quality hiphop!

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
Motorhead is the link between Led Zeppelin and Metallica
I swear Motorhead is the loudest thing i've ever willingly subjected myself to....

The last show i saw i had hearing damage and ringing in my ears for 3 days....I've never been messed up by a bands sound like that....

For some reason the 2 other, previous shows were loud but not that loud. Damn!

I have a bootleg disc that I bought in Montreal that is called "Happy Birthday Uncle Rotter!" It is a band called "The Lemmys" performing Motorhead cover songs at a party for Lemmy's 50th birthday. In reality, The Lemmys were Metallica and they did about 6 songs and then Motorhead set up and Did a full 10 song set of Motorhead classics.....it's one helluva show!

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fenrir
I swear Motorhead is the loudest thing i've ever willingly subjected myself to....

The last show i saw i had hearing damage and ringing in my ears for 3 days....I've never been messed up by a bands sound like that....

For some reason the 2 other, previous shows were loud but not that loud. Damn!

I have a bootleg disc that I bought in Montreal that is called "Happy Birthday Uncle Rotter!" It is a band called "The Lemmys" performing Motorhead cover songs at a party for Lemmy's 50th birthday. In reality, The Lemmys were Metallica and they did about 6 songs and then Motorhead set up and Did a full 10 song set of Motorhead classics.....it's one helluva show!
Truth be told my metal days are long past......Judas Priest, the Scorpions, MSG, etc. , circa early 80's. But I do know my rock history......I was never into speed metal so Motorhead was never a fav, but I know how much they influenced some later bands I do like.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
Truth be told my metal days are long past......Judas Priest, the Scorpions, MSG, etc. , circa early 80's. But I do know my rock history......I was never into speed metal so Motorhead was never a fav, but I know how much they influenced some later bands I do like.
I'm just beginning a serious interest in metal. I dabbled in some Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth in the late 80's and early 90's as a rebellion against my beloved punk/hardcore....otherwise i always found it to be of interest only to the braindead and hillbillies that had ADHD/inbreeding so severe that they couldn't sit still for country/western music....

Now I am interested in all the crazy, complex, intricate sounds that are being produced by the amazingly huge worldwide metal underground.....

The very term "Metal Underground" is a bit of a misnomer- Metal is very popular in Europe, I guess. Bands that can barely fill a nightclub here fill arenas there and win the equivalent of grammys and gold records. Crazy extreme metal acts are able to top the charts over there.....

TJ_Jacksonwv

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Favorite band: Grateful Dead :thumb:
I'm a big classic rock fan, love the Doors, Neil Young, CSNY, etc. etc. and of "jam bands" like Phish, Widespread Panic, etc.
I absolutely LOVED metal back in the day (late '80's, early '90's) but everyone got too 'commercial' and then I found the Dead.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry I'm late...

Wow, am I late for this thread...never noticed it until now.

OK, apart from the first three, they are in no particular order...

1) The Doors.
2) Nirvana.
3) The Beatles.
4) Queen (forgive me).
5) Sleeper.
6) Foo Fighters.
7) Pink Floyd.
8) Blur.
9) Garbage.
10) Hole.

...and far too many others to list here...

Dr. S.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by TJ_Jacksonwv
Favorite band: Grateful Dead :thumb:
I'm a big classic rock fan, love the Doors, Neil Young, CSNY, etc. etc. and of "jam bands" like Phish, Widespread Panic, etc.
I absolutely LOVED metal back in the day (late '80's, early '90's) but everyone got too 'commercial' and then I found the Dead.
I'm playing 6-17-75 right now...."Crazy Fingers"....

I'm lucky to have a tape deck in my office........

HOOP102

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Here's my top ten in no particular order.
1.Kiss
2.Van Halen
3.Ted Nugent
4.Ozzy
5.Led Zepplin
6.Areosmith
7.Lynyrd Skynyrd
8.Thin Lizzy
9.Boston
10. April Wine
Just about any of the old classic's. :thumb:

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
If you like Heavy Metal and Military History, listen to the German heavy metal band GRAVE DIGGER (they perform in English).

They have theme albums

TUNES OF WAR the history of Scotland
KNIGHTS OF THE CROSS the story of the Knights Templar

There's one more about King Arthur, but I forget the title.

Good music, reasonably good history.

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Fenrir
I'm just beginning a serious interest in metal...otherwise i always found it to be of interest only to the braindead and hillbillies that had ADHD/inbreeding so severe that they couldn't sit still for country/western music....
That would be me.l
Music is my drug. I can listen to Ozzy, any variation of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson, Metallica, White Zombie, Metal Church, Megadeth, or Overkill (just to get started). Have lately been branching out into Euro-heavy metal and some little known bands (e.g., Tad Morose in the last few days).
I have been listening to heavy metal since Black Sabbath Volume 4 came out. I wore the vinyl album out in less than a week and had to replace it.
Metal is very popular in Europe, I guess. Bands that can barely fill a nightclub here fill arenas there and win the equivalent of grammys and gold records. Crazy extreme metal acts are able to top the charts over there.....
Very true. Go to an American music store, they might have 8 copies of the latest Ozzy CD. When I go to my CD shop near my house in Regensburg Germany (not a specialty place either, in fact it's a department store) they have a whole Heavy Metal Department, separate from Rock and the other sections. My wife and son both know where I'll be when they're looking around....

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
If you've never listened to Motorhead, then you simply don't know true metal, amigos.
:thumb:
You said it, and it's hard to beat their lyrics:
THE ACE OF SPADES! THE ACE OF SPADES! THE ACE OF SPADES!:D The only two Motorhead songs that I have with me here are "The Ace of Spades" (their great hit) and "God Save the Queen". I wish I had more ...hmmmm...I can do that.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Janos
You said it, and it's hard to beat their lyrics:
THE ACE OF SPADES! THE ACE OF SPADES! THE ACE OF SPADES!:D The only two Motorhead songs that I have with me here are "The Ace of Spades" (their great hit) and "God Save the Queen". I wish I had more ...hmmmm...I can do that.
"You know I'm born to lose
And gamblin' is for fools,
But that's the way I like it babe,
And I don't want to live forever!"

I would have HAD to bring a copy of "No Sleep till Hammersmith".....

did Motorhead cover God Save the Queen? I did not know that. cool. That's a Sex Pistols song.

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In no order:

1) Animals
2)Go go's
3)Phil Collins
4)Beatles
5)Enya
6)Sheena Easton
7)Rolling Stones