Members Favorite music

erwin_rommel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know, all of us here are obviously history buffs, but I'm sure our music tastes differ greatly, tell me some of you favorite bands, I'm curious to know.

Here's mine:
Nirvana
Tool
Mudvayne
Metallica
Slayer
Pantera
Hatebreed
Chimaira

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Genesis
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Peter Gabriel
Jethro Tull
AC/DC
Amanda Marshall
Sarah MacLaughlin
Rolling Stones
Great Big Sea
The Doors

Boar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Talking Heads
Ramones
Joy Division
Blondie
The Cardigans
Siouxie and the Banshees
Led Zeppelin (!)
Hank Williams (Sr.)
CDB
Berlioz
Wagner
Old country songs from the '70's like "Funny Face" by Donna Fargo and "Why me, Lord?"
Garbage
Paul McCartney and Wings (Band on the Run and before only)

argh

The list could go on forever.

I'm either eclectic or unselective.

Oh, and I like Scottish bagpipe music too ;)

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right now I am hooked on a Live365 radio station that plays a techno music with mix of arabic and middle eastern influences called Arabix. Some good ones are Natacha Atlas, Karsh Kale, Transglobal Underground, Talvin Singh, etc. If you are familiar with these groups give me a PM. :thumb:

My more mainstream listening includes Cabaret Voltaire, Skinny Puppy, Delerium, Paul Oakenfold, etc.

Oh, not mainstream enough? :p How about New Order, REM, U2, Dido, Britney Spears, 10,000 Maniacs, etc.

Oh, did I say Britney? :crazy:

:laugh:

Igotmilk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Brian King
Right now I am hooked on a Live365 radio station that plays a techno music with mix of arabic and middle eastern influences called Arabix. Some good ones are Natacha Atlas, Karsh Kale, Transglobal Underground, Talvin Singh, etc. If you are familiar with these groups give me a PM. :thumb:

My more mainstream listening includes Cabaret Voltaire, Skinny Puppy, Delerium, Paul Oakenfold, etc.

Oh, not mainstream enough? :p How about New Order, REM, U2, Dido, Britney Spears, 10,000 Maniacs, etc.

Oh, did I say Britney? :crazy:

:laugh:
I am big into techno/club/trance/house and wish I still had a good club to go to. Alas I am too old. But I love good dance music and a good DJ throbbing all night long.

erwin_rommel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
judging by what I've read, it looks like I'm the one who listens to the violent music, has anyone even heard of my bands. I do like LEd Zeppelin, ac/dc and old 70s stuff even though it was before my time. i also like hank sr and hank jr. but other than that i hate country, i also hate rap and pop music.

Chicken_Salad

Reaction score
I am big into techno/club/trance/house and wish I still had a good club to go to. Alas I am too old. But I love good dance music and a good DJ throbbing all night long.

I hear ya, bro. Techno is awesome. I'm 31 but I ain't too old dambit. I'm waiting for a call and ima go clubbin'. :banana:

erwin_rommel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Come on somebodys got to be into heavy metal, i cannot be the only one here that enjoy thrash, death, punk or speed metal. somebody back me up.

Boar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Black Sabbath. Does that count?

I liked Henry Rollins for a time.

The Sex Pistols are definitely punk.

Dead Kennedys are close.

Hmm.

I like Soundgarden.

Then again on the other hand, Chicken Salad is a complete wuss who listens to girly music. ;)

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I like a lot movie musics. Otherwise it is Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull... And some German music like Klaus Schulze and Tangerime Dream.

LaPalice.

Boar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by erwin_rommel
Come on somebodys got to be into heavy metal, i cannot be the only one here that enjoy thrash, death, punk or speed metal. somebody back me up.
Black Sabbath's Iommi Tops Guitar Greats List

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Here's one "guitar greats" list that Jimi Hendrix (news) did not top: "the 100 greatest metal guitarists of all time."

According to Guitar World magazine, the No. 1 metal guitarist is Tony Iommi, the God-fearing axeman with pioneering English heavy metal band Black Sabbath.

Six musicians claimed the next four spots: Metallica (news - web sites)'s James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett tied at No. 2; AC/DC siblings Angus and Malcolm Young at No. 3; Randy Rhoads (news), the late sideman for Ozzy Osbourne, at No. 4; and Eddie Van Halen (news), of the foursome that bears his name, at No. 5. Hendrix was No. 12, six places behind Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page (news).

The list appears in the magazine's March issue, which hits newsstands next week.

According to Guitar World editor-in-chief Brad Tolinski, the criteria for the list were purity and innovation. He said Iommi never strayed from a basic formula of B-tuned guitars played very loudly, plenty of power chords and slower rhythms.

"He's essentially the guy that created most of the conventions for heavy metal," Tolinski said. Iommi's "shining moment" is the track "Warning" from the band's self-titled 1970 debut album, according to the poll.

If Black Sabbath started the heavy metal ball rolling, then Metallica kept it alive, Tolinski said, pointing to the 1984 track "Creeping Death" as the band's stand-out.

Page's relatively low No. 6 ranking raised some eyebrows since Led Zeppelin also helped pave the way for heavy metal. But Tolinski said Page would be the first to admit that his playing also incorporates blues and folk. Similarly, Eddie Van Halen has always had a foot in the pop world, he added.

Hendrix, who died in 1970, introduced some of the genre's conventions, but Tolinski termed him more of a "futuristic blues player" than a heavy metal guitarist.

Reuters/VNU

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: ACG Members Favorite music

Originally posted by erwin_rommel
You know, all of us here are obviously history buffs, but I'm sure our music tastes differ greatly, tell me some of you favorite bands, I'm curious to know.

Here's mine:
Nirvana
Tool
Mudvayne
Metallica
Slayer
Pantera
Hatebreed
Chimaira
Good question, Erwin!

Let's see:

Floyd
Zep
AC/DC
Genesis/Collins/Gabriel
Supertramp
Alan Parsons Project
Tragically Hip
Stones
Doors
Tull
Sabbath

Along with a moderate mix of new music. I like a bit of classical, a bit of country, a bit of alternative, etc. But classic rock seems to be a big favorite.

DingBat

Reaction score
My favorite groups/albums from last year:

Jet
Billy Talent
The Ataris
The Dandy Warhols
Queens of the Stone Age
The Strokes

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Favorite bands/ Music

All of us milhis buffs obviously span the age range, but if you really wanna know, I like metal, rock, rap, and most of the bastard offsprings thereof. My absolute favorite band of all time...
well, it's gotta be AC/DC. If you wanna know about war, check out the song, `Disposable Heroes', from the Metallica album,
`Master Of Puppets'.

GhostSoldier.

I do a little bit of axegrinding, myself. Axe, being an axe, not an axe.

erwin_rommel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You will die when I say back to the front.

i remember being in, man i think it was, 2nd or 3rd grade and listening to that song, and just waiting for the ...and justice for all album to come out, hey how about "one" that's a good song about war.

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back to the Front!!!

....." You coward. You servant. You blindman.

Life planned out before my birth, nothing could I say.
Had no chance to see myself, molded day by day.
Looking back I realize, not much have I done.
Left to die with only friend. Alone I clench my gun. "

GhostSoldier.

erwin_rommel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soldier boy, made of clay
Now an empty shell
Twenty one, only son but he served us well
Breed to kill not to care
Do just as we say
Finished here, Greeting Death