Mel Gibson's The Passion

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I want to go to cinema this week end. First I think I am going to watch a French movie "Agents Secrets", with Monica Belucci among other.
But I would like to try Mel Gibson's The Passion too. At the same time I don't know if it is a good movie and if it worths the price.
So Did someone already watch it ? And what do you think about it ?

LaPalice.

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is that going to be with subtitles or full dubbing? I never heard Christ speak French. How do you say "love one another" in French?
:cheeky:

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
MonsterZero said:
Is that going to be with subtitles or full dubbing? I never heard Christ speak French. How do you say "love one another" in French?
:cheeky:
In French it is "Aime to prochain".

LaPalice.

fulcrum7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have not seen it. However, it caused a lot of headlines and made even more money. That is what movies are supposed to do anyway (from the corporation that made it standpoint anyway). :cheeky:

Pfc TAZ

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llUnited States
My background is that I am not too religious, but I am very interested in the history and philosophy of the early Christian/Catholic church.

I saw The Passion of the Christ and I thought it was pretty good. It has been really hyped and it isn't as good as many peolpe say. Overall, it was worth seeing.

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't like it. Looking at it from a (strictly) movie perspective, it was a pretty bad one.

If you're a believer, you might like it. I'm not a believer, so I was kind of bored.

And I'm still amazed at the controversy. I didn't see anything that would warrant the kind of critisism Gibson got.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I went to see it and I have to say that I had the same feeling walking out of the theatre as I did after the first 25 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan".

I was simply overwhelmed.

In the silent parts of the movie, you could have easily heard a pin drop; and it was a carpeted floor. :confused:

I agree it's not one of the better movie's ever made from a cinematic POV, but a very hard hitting movie for anybody who believes in the bible.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
It was an awesome movie and I highly recommend that everyone should see it. It is very moveing and has a huge impact on the viewers.

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MikeJ said:
I didn't like it. Looking at it from a (strictly) movie perspective, it was a pretty bad one.
If you're a believer, you might like it. I'm not a believer, so I was kind of bored.
I'm not trying to disparage your beliefs, MikeJ. I respect your stand. I suppose it is like any of us going to watch "Driving Miss Daisy" or some chick flick. You can't identify with it, the movie will not impact you- so be it.

Personally, while I don't claim to be really religious in recent years, I was brought up in the Church. So it was AMAZING the power that the imagery had on my emotions! :surprise:
In traditional cinematic terms, it was not really good, but I don't think Mr. Gibson had a traditional movie in mind. There was a great deal of symbolism (Satan following Jesus around)- also, you had to be pretty well aquainted with the Gospel accounts to catch a lot of the sutble stuff going on...

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Reading some comments on the movie, it seems it is very violent. Is it the case ?

LaPalice.

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VERY graphic. They show the torture and crucifixion of Christ "without blinking". These days, I would say the gore shown is not over the top, but it is unrelenting. (Some might say monotonous.)

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lt. Dan said:
The Passion is the most intense most moving film I have ever seen
Same here, Dan. If anyone can think that they would ever remotely be able to endure what Jesus did for us for even one other person, they are lying.

I think everyone should experience what Jesus did, whether they believe he was God made flesh, or that he was just a prophet, or even a wise teacher.

The crucifixion of Jesus is NOT a fable. It is one of the most documnted occurances in history, and there are numerous eyewitness accounts of what he endured, not just the Gospels.

The film was beautifully made, and stunningly powerful. I've read so much about the violence, and there were times when I cringed. But, it was not because of the violence in and of itself, but the empathy I had with Jesus and what he quite realistically may have endured for our sins.

Anyone who can say this film is as bad or worse than Jeepers Creepers or Texas Chainsaw Massacre,...or even the well-reviewed remake of Dawn of the Dead, is beyond ignorant. Violence for the sake of violence is sick. Violence representing what a real person may have endured and why he endured it is an everlasting testament to the life of this person who was God in the flesh.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jthomas said:
I'm not trying to disparage your beliefs, MikeJ. I respect your stand. I suppose it is like any of us going to watch "Driving Miss Daisy" or some chick flick. You can't identify with it, the movie will not impact you- so be it.

Personally, while I don't claim to be really religious in recent years, I was brought up in the Church. So it was AMAZING the power that the imagery had on my emotions! :surprise:
In traditional cinematic terms, it was not really good, but I don't think Mr. Gibson had a traditional movie in mind. There was a great deal of symbolism (Satan following Jesus around)- also, you had to be pretty well aquainted with the Gospel accounts to catch a lot of the sutble stuff going on...
I will post more, but there is a book out my wife and I got at our church, and it explains many of the symbols and even minor players not really identified throughout the movie. I will post the name and publisher tonight.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
What is the movie really about? (this does prove quite hard too find out)
Just about the last days of Mr. christ or deals it also with a little more of his life? I am just interested whether I should watch the movie, as I am defintely not religious (well, at least I don't believe in God or the church) but quite interested in history,so it should contain also other parts than the crucification and stuff.

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Going back to what I said earlier, this movie is the only movie I've ever seen where at the end of it the majority of the people didn't get up. The audience sat in their seats and didn't move. It's one of the few movies that has brought a tear to my eye and made me cringe and even look away. This is an extremely powerful and beautifal film even for people who don't go to church alot like me.

Reaction score
CPangracs said:
If anyone can think that they would ever remotely be able to endure what Jesus did for us for even one other person, they are lying.
I don't know. Those Asian monks that set themselves on fire every now and then sure seem to have alot of balls. :dead:

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jthomas said:
Heh, I actually like tend to like chick-flicks. :dead:

As an added bonus my girlfriend thinks I only go to them for her ;).

Yep, it's fairly obvious Gibson did not have a traditional, entertaining movie in mind. I have no problems with that, I just didn't see much value in the movie as someone who does not care much for religion. To me, watching them beat up this poor sod for 2 hours lost its appeal after about 15 minutes of it. It was sort of like watching Saving Private Ryan for the 6th straight time. The 15 minute battle scene at the start loses its appeal after that much repetition proving that there can be too much of a good thing.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
mr_clark said:
What is the movie really about? (this does prove quite hard too find out)
Just about the last days of Mr. christ or deals it also with a little more of his life? I am just interested whether I should watch the movie, as I am defintely not religious (well, at least I don't believe in God or the church) but quite interested in history,so it should contain also other parts than the crucification and stuff.
The movie is all about the last 12 hours of Jesus Christ's life. i.e. the time leading up to the cross or what is referred to by some "the passion of Christ."
I recommend that you go see it from a historical point of view as well as a religous one. The dress and even the tools of torture look very accturate from that time period. Also that culture of that time is portrayed very well.