Mel Gibson's The Passion

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
So, according to you, the beating of Jesus was a good thing?

I'll pray for you tonight, too.:cry:
No, but at least it kept me interested for the first 15 minutes of it. Sort of like slowing down to look at a car accident. When I realized it was going to be that same 15 minutes over and over and over and over agian, I got bored :x.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I thought it was good. Not an ounce of culture in the Roman foot sloggers but a constant supply of booze. And the Jewish Churchmen and their heavies were real easy to hate. At least the Romans would have treated anyone the way they treated Jesus. The Pharisee's were portrayed as the real evil. See the way they smirked when they smirked and sneered throughout.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
SoccerDJ said:
The movie is all about the last 12 hours of Jesus Christ's life. i.e. the time leading up to the cross or what is referred to by some "the passion of Christ."
I recommend that you go see it from a historical point of view as well as a religous one. The dress and even the tools of torture look very accturate from that time period. Also that culture of that time is portrayed very well.
O.K. thanks, so I guess I will look into it.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Be aware that the film is spoken entirely in Aramaic and Latin.
IMHO, this lends a more realistic "flavour" to the movie.

Pfc TAZ

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llUnited States
Sharpe said:
Not an ounce of culture in the Roman foot sloggers but a constant supply of booze.
I agree, I thought that was one of the most accurate parts of the movie. Signing your life away for 20 years and serving in the farthest reaches of the empire will make you rough bastard. No wonder pirates were afraid of them! :)

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
tigersqn said:
Arameic, is that the language spoken by Assyrians today. (follow question) Are Assyrians Christians living in Syria? I think so, could anyone confirm or enlighten me? :crosseye:

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
SoccerDJ said:
The movie is all about the last 12 hours of Jesus Christ's life. i.e. the time leading up to the cross or what is referred to by some "the passion of Christ."
I recommend that you go see it from a historical point of view as well as a religous one. The dress and even the tools of torture look very accturate from that time period. Also that culture of that time is portrayed very well.
Well, a writer summarized the historical (or Biblical) mistakes in the movie. He listed about 30 mistakes (and not small ones).
I can translate it later, if I won't find it in English.
I still cannot see it, but I will...

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
tigersqn said:
Just one from the list of mistakes:
The Roman mercenaries were recruited from the Samarian Sebaste and from the Judean Caesarea, so they surely spoke only in Greek (or a little Aramian).

fulcrum7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who can honestly say that they would know the difference between Greek and Latin while they are watching a movie? Movies are supposed to be interesting fun things, not volumes of documentary type information.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
fulcrum7 said:
Who can honestly say that they would know the difference between Greek and Latin while they are watching a movie? Movies are supposed to be interesting fun things, not volumes of documentary type information.
So, Mel Gibson's is which one?

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My understanding is that the ancient Aramaic is a "dead" language much like Latin- in the sense no one speaks it natively anymore. I pretty sure the languages of that region have a good deal of influence from all over by now (Greek, Arabic, Persian, Urdu, you name it....

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dicke Bertha said:
Arameic, is that the language spoken by Assyrians today. (follow question) Are Assyrians Christians living in Syria? I think so, could anyone confirm or enlighten me? :crosseye:
Syria and Lebanon. Most don't speek Aramaic though.